Dosbox, MUNT, Windows 7 64-bit

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Dosbox, MUNT, Windows 7 64-bit

Post by CaptainJei »

So, having repurchased the Quest for Glory series through gog.com, I'm trying to play through the whole series. Of course, 1, 2, and 3 run great in ScummVM, but 4 isn't nearly far along enough yet, so I'm playing it through DOSBox.

My only major problem is that I can't figure out how to get MT-32 emulation to work through DOSBox. I'm now using 64-bit Windows 7, and it seems that most, if not all, versions of MUNT are for 32-bit systems. However, I've run across several forum comments recommending 64-bit builds of DOSBox with MUNT built in. Does such a thing exist? If not, is there any way to get MT-32 emulations to work?
Collector

Post by Collector »

There is no official 64-bit version of DOSBox. Dynamic core in 64-bit builds are slower than 32. There is no advantage performance wise, anyway. The official 32-bit build runs fine on x64 Windows. The Munt driver will install on x64, but not by the inf. It can be installed manually by placing the driver and the ROM files in the SysWOW64 folder, adding the right Registry entry and registering the DLL. I once wrote an installer to do this and gave the script to King Guppy on request, but they seem to have shifted the emphasis from the driver to the Qt app. The GIT repository for sergm has the latest driver, Qt app and an SVN build of DOSBox with Munt built in.

That said, if you got the GOG collection and were dissatisfied with the sound, I would recommend that you re-download the collection as most of the sound configuration mistakes of the original release have been corrected. As to QfG4, unlike the earlier games, GM sounds better than MT-32. By then Roland was becoming more of an after thought in Sierra games.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Thanks for the informative reply. I'm a bit afraid to attempt changing registry entries at this point, but I really would like to get the MT-32 emulation to work if I could. Would you be kind enough to tell me what I would have to add to the registry? (I have very fond memories of the MT-32 score to this game that when I played it as a teenager on an actual MT-32; but I'll give the General MIDI score a listen as well).
Collector

Post by Collector »

Code: Select all

{HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midi6"="mt32emu.dll"
Note that number after "midi" should be one that is not already in use. In this example there are five other string values in this key named "midi" followed by a number. My installer looked for the first available spot to assign the Munt value.

For sergm's GIT repository (latest DOSBox SVN with Munt, Qt app and driver):

https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/downloads

Ykhwong also has a build of DOSBox that includes Munt, but also has a number of other experimental patches built in.

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I tried playing the game with sergm's SVN, and it works great!

I'm extremely grateful for your assistance, and thrilled to be playing QfG4 the way I remember it best for the first time since the 90's.