Soltys

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

Soltys

Post by scoriae »

The game datafiles page has a listing for a game called "Soltys", yet the wiki page for the game says it is not supported? Just curious as I have never heard of this game and it is the first time I have heard of a game first through the datafiles page and not a forum post or something similar.
clone2727
Retired

Re: Soltys

Post by clone2727 »

scoriae wrote:The game datafiles page has a listing for a game called "Soltys", yet the wiki page for the game says it is not supported?
Correct.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Soltys' engine has been merged some weeks ago, and is not ready yet.
The original game was only available in Polish, and the English version is almost done.
Be patient, there will be more information soon.

Regards,
Strangerke
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Great, Thank you very much for the information.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

My heart just skipped and I couldn't belive my own eyes!!!

This was one of my favourite childhood games! I am going to give the English translation a try, seeing how the game has LOTS of weird, Polish post-communism humour (that I imagine was BEYOND impossible to translate :D)

This includes the illogical puzzles (which in fact, are quite logical IF you're familiar with said humour [and I doubt even the younger generations of Poles are today]).

A thousand "thank yous" to both LK AVALAON (which was a cult developer back in the day), all the coders and translators!

I wonder if more gems from LK AVALON could be incorporated into into ScummVM (AD 2044, Skaut Kwatermaster etc.).
There's also "Kajko i Kokosz" game, based around a Polish comic book - basically, a slavic version of Asterix, but I can't remember the developer's name.

edit:

Here's a fun fact; the game required a tremendous amounts of himemory/extended memory in order to have the music playing in the background. Not many people even knew how to set it up, so the devs included a TAPE with the music, to listen on your player while you game. It also contained a booklet with stories (basically, retold jokes on which the game is based around).

Oh, the memories. How I miss the 90's.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

How to configure the game profile?
I originally made a normal profile for it in D-Fend Reloaded, however the game has a bug and crashes - it seems this problem can be bypassed by running the game in Scumm VM instead of Dosbox. However, I don't know how to configure it... to make a profile, I have to select which game it is (from the list that includes lots of games such as "Simon the Sorcerer 1", "Sierra AGI games" etc.) - however, "Sołtys" is not on this list even though it's supported. What should I select?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Nowhere Girl wrote:However, I don't know how to configure it... to make a profile, I have to select which game it is (from the list that includes lots of games such as "Simon the Sorcerer 1", "Sierra AGI games" etc.) - however, "Sołtys" is not on this list even though it's supported. What should I select?
Do you mean that when you try to add a game, ScummVM suggests it may be either Simon the Sorcerer or a Sierra AGI game, or any other from a large number of suggestions? That sounds wrong. It should usually be pretty good at telling games apart. Unless you've mixed data files from several games into one folder, rather than giving each game its own folder.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

No, no, I don't mean it suggests anything, I meant these as examples of the whole game list. Anyway, "Soltys" itself isn't on the list and to create a profile, I have to define which game it is. How to do it?
I use Scumm VM together with D-Fend Reloaded and I prefer it this way, collecting and viewing screenshots has become another little hobby for me*.

*To the point that I even create D-Fend profiles for Windows game I have, such as Dizzy AGE fan games - which is of course completely unnecessary and excessive. By the way, collecting screenshots for non-DOS games is much harder - completely "manual", requires all that boring stuff such as cropping images, importing them to D-Fend and deleting from their original location. (Btw, as for Dizzy AGE, these games have the nice feature of automatic screenshot saving - but these are regular screeenshots anyway, not just shots of the active game window...)
Collector

Post by Collector »

To do it through ScummVM, you just need to use the ScummVM GUI to add the game. If you are having problems with adding it through D-Fend Reloaded, ask its author in the D-Fend Reloaded thread on VOGONS.