Screenshots in Scumm VM + D-Fend

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nowhere Girl

Screenshots in Scumm VM + D-Fend

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Recently I installed Scumm VM 1.4.1.0 to use it as a "rescue" for some games which don't work under D-Fend Reloaded/Dosbox (btw, I can't run Sierra's "Gold Rush" anyway under either program - any advice here?). D-Fend is compatible with Scumm VM so I use them together to keep all my DOS games in the same place. I enjoy making screenshots from games and being able to view them. However, I have a problem with screenshots made in Scumm VM: the thumbnails are all displayed as the same image, more precisely the last edited one. It makes schreenshot selection less comfortable and generally doesn't look well. Can I do something to fix this problem under D-Fend or do I have to accept that all my Scumm profiles will look like this?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Re: Screenshots in Scumm VM + D-Fend

Post by tsoliman »

Nowhere Girl wrote:(btw, I can't run Sierra's "Gold Rush" anyway under either program - any advice here?)
Run Scummvm without D-Fend.
Remove the game from scummvm's list of games. (if it is there)
Add the game to scummvm.
Describe what it gets detected as.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I don't want to run it separately. :( I want all my DOS games in the same place, with their screenshots.
Other AGI games I have all work well (under D-Fend, I haven't had to check them on Scumm VM): King's Quest 2 and 4, Black Cauldron...
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

By the way - I tried running the game again. I couldn't, but I read the message in the status window (too bad I can't copy it). It said something about a plugin for AGI games. Could it help? I tried searching for it, but I couldn't find a version for "normal computers". I'm not sure what an Android device is, but I surely don't have one, and as for mobile phones - I enjoy being different from the rest, so I still use a very old Nokia phone with black-and-green screen. (It's completely OK for me. My first mobile phone wasn't - it was so primitive it didn't even have a clock.)
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Nowhere Girl wrote:I don't want to run it separately. :( I want all my DOS games in the same place, with their screenshots.
Other AGI games I have all work well (under D-Fend, I haven't had to check them on Scumm VM): King's Quest 2 and 4, Black Cauldron...
I understand. I am trying to help you determine if it is a problem in ScummVM or D-Fend. It is just a step to help me troubleshoot.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

To help determine which version of "Gold Rush!" you have, can you post the md5sum of a file called "grdir" and a file called "vol.0"?
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I've tried running "Gold Rush" under Scumm VM alone - didn't work either. A message popped up saying the program stopped working.
What is md5sum and how to check it? I also suspected it might be a version problem - I've had similar problems with "King's Quest 2", so I deleted it and downloaded again - I remember it didn't have the same file list, so the new download was probably a different version. However, all the "Gold Rush" downloads I've checked out have at least the same file names, including two files which seem like installations (installh and _install, if I remember well. Btw - "KIng's Quest 2" works OK without having run through installation).
Could it be a problem of access route? (I'm not sure how it's called in English.) Some old games don't tolerate having long routes - for example I had to put two Dizzy games in "repositories" directly accessible from C:, without it they didn't work even with Dosbox (one of them was "famous" for me for not working already around 1994).

written when I already wanted to send it: I thought I'll open the folder and at least write down the file list - maybe it will help. I'm not sure how to make Windows display all extensions - they were super important in DOS/Norton Commander times, now they aren't anymore...
_gr, _install, agi, agidata.ovl, cga_graf.ovl, ega_graf.ovl, exist, gr122388.qa, grdir, grsg.1, grvol.0-12, hgc_graf.ovl, installh, jr_graf.ovl, makepath, object, resetdsk, sierra, vg_graf.ovl, words.tok
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Forum rule #0

You'll get no more help here.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Why? I'm just disappointed with such a reply...
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

And we're pretty disappointed in you. Go figure.