Thanks to all Devs for SCI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Charles

Thanks to all Devs for SCI

Post by Charles »

I just wanted to take a second and say thank you to all the devs who are working on adding support for the later SCI3 and SCI32 games. I like to follow along at https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/comm ... ngines/sci, so I especially want to thank bluegr for what feels like a renewed vigor these last few months.

All too often people ask when it'll be done, and I know that can become demoralizing. On behalf of myself (and I'm sure, a bunch of other people) who don't have the time or knowledge or skill to contribute ourselves, thank you for investing your valuable time to provide something for so many others.

A lot of people have a personal favourite game they're awaiting. For me, it's QFG4, and if I had the time/knowledge/skill I would without hesitation contribute towards making that game playable for myself and others. I'm curious, what's your particular motivation? Is it a specific game you want playable? Is it a sense of completion, in having all SCI game playable? Or is it something else?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Thanks! A simple thank you is the best reward for us :)

As for motivation: most of us work on ScummVM to satisfy an itch, to satisfy their own curiosity and to see the work they made turn into a playable game. We're doing this for fun, for our own enjoyment and because we like it :)

As for your question, yes, the ultimate goal would be to have all SCI games playable. It's a long term goal, but we're working towards it.

Thanks for your kind words once more! :)
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

I too would like to offer my thanks. It seems to be progressing very well lately. :D

Hopefully I'll be able to pull out some of those old CDs again soon.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I'm quite grateful for this as well, and when Gabriel Knight 1&2 are supported, ScummVM will support all the classic 2D adventure games I have. And ScummVM will in my eyes be perfect :)
Last edited by Freddo on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

Hey,
the commit list for sci's sub-tree in github is on my daily check-up too :-)
I love your work and am truly grateful.
Thank you!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Indeed. This can't be said enough and can be said over and over again. Thank you for pursuing SCI!
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Thanks from me too. A few years ago, I would'nt have dared to DREAM about SCI support.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

I too would like to praise the development team for such high quality coding and all of the joy my life has received being able to play some of these wonderful adventure games on my tablet. :)
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

I, too, would like to thank everyone who works on this project for including Sierra games. It's given me a reason to revisit the classics that were sitting in my closet all these years, and it's been a lot of fun doing that.

Now, get back to work! :D
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

I'd like to show my gratitude to the SCI developers aswell, I usually check the SVN history every day to see if there has been any developments regarding SCI :)

I also download and compile the SVN repository whenever there has been a lot of changes to try them out and see if I can get any futher in QFG4. I was a bit surprised when I saw a workaround for a bug in Baba Yagas hut as I can't get past the rope in at the start without ScummVM crashing when I try to cross it.

Anyways, keep up the good work and I hope we see a lot more updates in the near future ^^
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

You mean the Git repository, don't you. :D
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

On a related topic, any idea why the 1.6.0 daily builds does not support SCI32 anymore (e.g. Quest for Glory 4)?
The 1.5.0 daily builds used to support them just fine.
Zeith

Post by Zeith »

You know what I mean :)
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

OmerMor wrote:On a related topic, any idea why the 1.6.0 daily builds does not support SCI32 anymore (e.g. Quest for Glory 4)?
The 1.5.0 daily builds used to support them just fine.
At the moment SCI games seem to be disabled, if you try to add one it just says "Sierra SCI Game". I guess they did that for the version 1.5.0 release.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

Are you all using our *official* builds (i.e. from buildbot)?

Edit: Kirben's builds should be fixed now.