ScummC Game Support

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

willrandship

ScummC Game Support

Post by willrandship »

I was wondering, is there a particular reason why there isn't a less hackish way to run ScummC game builds? So far I've only seen two methods: Patch ScummVM (and those patches are old with the newest at v1.1.1) or run them as Day of the Tentacle.

I was thinking that there could be a way to have a "Use custom Game" option, or perhaps just have detection for the scumm6 resource files. Maybe even include a small XML file that would define game information so they can be differentiated without having to modify ScummVM every time someone makes a fangame.

Or maybe I'm missing something :P in which case all is well.
JenniBee

Re: ScummC Game Support

Post by JenniBee »

willrandship wrote:I was wondering, is there a particular reason why there isn't a less hackish way to run ScummC game builds? So far I've only seen two methods: Patch ScummVM (and those patches are old with the newest at v1.1.1) or run them as Day of the Tentacle.

I was thinking that there could be a way to have a "Use custom Game" option, or perhaps just have detection for the scumm6 resource files. Maybe even include a small XML file that would define game information so they can be differentiated without having to modify ScummVM every time someone makes a fangame.

Or maybe I'm missing something :P in which case all is well.
LucasArts isn't very open to games being created using their engines, and the ScummVM team has had to go through legal hoops with LucasArts to keep operating in the past. The ScummVM team doesn't want to create an oppurtunity for LucasArts to send them another legal notice. SCUMM Fan games aren't officially supported by ScummVM simply to keep on the good side of Lucas legal.
willrandship

Post by willrandship »

Ah. I can see how that would be an issue. Although, legally, there's nothing they can do about ScummC, since it does not use their engine (well, it can, but doesn't need to), nor does it use their development tools. While neutrality is nice, if it came down to blows ScummC development should be legal.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

willrandship wrote:Ah. I can see how that would be an issue. Although, legally, there's nothing they can do about ScummC, since it does not use their engine (well, it can, but doesn't need to), nor does it use their development tools. While neutrality is nice, if it came down to blows ScummC development should be legal.
ScummC might be legal, but then again I don't think anyone in ScummVM would go to court or risk troubles with any legal department of LEC because of that.

There's other tools for developing adventure games anyway.