can't get Soltys to run

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tempestmichael

can't get Soltys to run

Post by tempestmichael »

Hi,
I'm trying to play the game Soltys.

I've already figured out how to extract the game files using the daily build of Scummvm tools,
but when I try to add the game in Scummvm
it comes up as "could not find any game in that specific directory"

I'm using the latest daily build.
A lot of people are saying that Scummvm supports it.
What am I doing wrong?
is there a specific version that supports it?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The latest daily build can run Soltys. However you should not extract the game files (i.e. ScummVM will play the game from the vol.cat and vol.dat files directly). Extracting the file is only useful if you want to modify the game (e.g. translate it to a different language).

There are several cases that may trigger the "could not find any game in that specific directory" message. The most common ones are:
  • You are missing some of the required data file (for Soltys vol.dat and vol.cat are the only two files required).

The engine is not enabled in the ScummVM version you are using. However I believe that in the daily builds all the engines are enabled so that should not be the problem here (to make sure you can start ScummVM, click on About... and check that CGE is listed under Available engines).

Your game is an unknown version. Did you use the files from our website? If not this might be the reason. Also if this is an unknown version you should have a message in the console (see FAQ 5.6 to find out how to see the console messages on Windows and MacOS X).
robertmo

Post by robertmo »

The most important source of errors is entering a folder when adding games. That is a bug of scummvm, as you shouldn't be able to press the "choose" button when no folder is selected.
Actually you shouldn't even be able to enter folders that doesn't contain subfolders
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

robertmo wrote:The most important source of errors is entering a folder when adding games. That is a bug of scummvm, as you shouldn't be able to press the "choose" button when no folder is selected.
Are you sure? If no folder is selected, it should pick the folder you're currently browsing. That has worked for ages for me.
robertmo

Post by robertmo »

yes, it works.
I forgot that I was trying 1.4 first that didn't work at all, so i read the manual that i should use folder - and i remembered that as a solution somehow ;)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Please, don't uncompress the data files. The only good reason to do that is to translate Soltys in another language, and you'll need in that case to re-compress it before playing it.
tempestmichael

thanks

Post by tempestmichael »

Thanks guys.

I really appreciate your timely responses.

criezy was right.

I didn't need to decompress the files and what I did wrong is that I only tried loading the game in version 1.4.0 and never tried using the daily build of the emulator on the compressed version.

Kudos to everyone for helping.
tempestmichael

Post by tempestmichael »

Unfortunately,
There's something wrong with the ability to walk certain places in this game right now or in the scummvm build,
so if anyone's reading this forum to play this game you might want to wait until a newer version comes out where these issues are resolved before you bother wasting time on it.

It's understandable though.
These things take time.
I'm just thankful for all the work the scummvm team does.
keep it up!
robertmo

Post by robertmo »

that is how the game works
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

robertmo wrote:that is how the game works
Yes. Certain scenes have puzzles you need to complete before you can walk to certain parts. In the very first scene, for example, you can't walk all the way to the right until you've found a way to deal with the ghost dog.

Ironically, when we were first porting over the game, you could walk anywhere. Core parts of the pathfinding code were written in assembly, and the conversion was slightly incorrect. Not having played Soltys previously, it was a while before we realised, by playing the original in DosBox, that you weren't supposed to be able to walk anywhere. :D
tempestmichael

Post by tempestmichael »

wow, really?

what were the game designers thinking on that one.

I got past the first part,

but when I got to the hippie bus scene (no offense against hippies :P) I couldn't walk anywhere accept up to the record player.

huh, now that I know
I'm going to have to try it again.
Nowhere Girl

Post by Nowhere Girl »

Is the game supported by Scumm VM? And is it indeed possible to play it? There is a bug somewhere in the game - I don't remember where exacly, but certainly quite soon - if I remember well, the game always crashes after I visit the screen with the bus and I try to move to another screen. Doesn't this bug affect gameplay when you run the game through Scumm VM?
I wanted to play this game - there aren't many Polish adventure games... Or maybe there are, things like "Witcher" and so on, but I just don't have a heart for RPG and all those huge new games, I like 80s/90s adventure and arcade games best.
tempestmichael

Post by tempestmichael »

I had no problem moving from the bus scene under scummvm,
but you have to download the daily build of scummvm for it to work

www.scummvm.org/downloads/scummvm-win32.exe
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

The walking area in the bus scene is restricted on purpose, it's a puzzle. You have to fix the road, then you'll be able to walk around.

The crash is of course not part of the puzzle, but I never noticed it, so please fill a bug report if it's confirmed :)