Quest for Glory Series now available from GOG

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

balpat

Quest for Glory Series now available from GOG

Post by balpat »

Probably the best adventure/RPG-combination ever is now available from GOG.com!

Quest for Glory 1 - 5

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/quest_for_glory

The series is complete with both QfG1 EGA and the VGA remake (although I prefer the EGA original) and "Quest for Glory V - Dragon Fire" which alone would be worth the $9.99 to get a working version even if you own the other games already.

Parts 1 to 3 can be played in ScummVM (with nice stuff like EGA undithering, if you like that) and I hope that part 4 will follow soon.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Very cool, I should give this a go 8)

I remember playing 3 or 4 a little at my neighbour back in the early 90s, but that's about all the experience I have with this series.
nathanel.mori

Re: Quest for Glory Series now available from GOG

Post by nathanel.mori »

balpat wrote:Parts 1 to 3 can be played in ScummVM (with nice stuff like EGA undithering, if you like that) and I hope that part 4 will follow soon.
....speaking of which, any information on when is "soon" exactly? It seems to me that the development team is busy adding more and more engines to SCUMMVM, but no one is currently working on completing support for the latest SCI engines, which are responsible for some of the most popular games in history.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Quest for Glory Series now available from GOG

Post by LordHoto »

nathanel.mori wrote:
balpat wrote:Parts 1 to 3 can be played in ScummVM (with nice stuff like EGA undithering, if you like that) and I hope that part 4 will follow soon.
....speaking of which, any information on when is "soon" exactly? It seems to me that the development team is busy adding more and more engines to SCUMMVM, but no one is currently working on completing support for the latest SCI engines, which are responsible for some of the most popular games in history.
All developers interested in SCI seem to be busy right now. Thus "soon" is as always: "when it's done". The fact that other engines are being worked on does not mean SCI has any low priority for us in general, but people work on what they like and not everybody is a fan of SCI games.
Red Paladin

Post by Red Paladin »

Excellent I'll be able to Brainwash...I mean introduce my friends to these games. :D
CyricZ

Post by CyricZ »

Is there any way to convert the .sav files so that they can cross the platforms?

I ask for the fan remake of 2 because .sav files coming out of ScummVM will not work on it or any other mundane versions of the QfG games.
Pseudo_Intellectual

Post by Pseudo_Intellectual »

CyricZ wrote:I ask for the fan remake of 2 because .sav files coming out of ScummVM will not work on it or any other mundane versions of the QfG games.
I doubt the QFG2 remake saves are compatible with anything since the remake adds new puzzles and just generally more of everything -- its savegame files would need flags that wouldn't be present in the original SCI version's (or SCUMMVM's versions of those saves.)

Gosh, I hope the Coles see the light and drop the dead-end Malinche so they can hop on the kickstarter bandwagon instead that all of their old cronies are riding to victory.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

CyricZ wrote:Is there any way to convert the .sav files so that they can cross the platforms?

I ask for the fan remake of 2 because .sav files coming out of ScummVM will not work on it or any other mundane versions of the QfG games.
The savegame system in ScummVM defaults to compressing savegames by default. I'm not familiar with the SCI engine, but I do know there's a current developer discussion for supporting uncompressed savegames for just that reason.

What you can try doing is, on Windows at least, change the extension of an export savegame from QFG1 to add a '.gz' on the end. Then, if the file truly is compressed, you should be able to open the file in archive tools like WinRAR or 7Zip, and extract the uncompressed content to import into QFG2.
Pseudo_Intellectual wrote:I doubt the QFG2 remake saves are compatible with anything since the remake adds new puzzles and just generally more of everything -- its savegame files would need flags that wouldn't be present in the original SCI version's (or SCUMMVM's versions of those saves.)
The QFG2 remake character export produces identical files to the original precisely so you can still import your characters into QFG3, so there shouldn't be any problem there.
Collector

Post by Collector »

They are not game saves. The SAV files are exported hero profiles that can be imported into the next game. The AGDI remake of QfG2 complies with the old format and can be imported into QfG3, as dreammaster noted.
QuestingHero

NRS Patches

Post by QuestingHero »

When I start up QFG3, it gives me a warning that it has a fan patch that causes problems with the game. I assume it is the NRS patch that GOG is including with the game. is there a way to remove this, or is ScummVM planing on supporting it in the future?

Thanks
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I posted a bug report on this, since the gog patched game is unstable and crashes a lot in ScummVM. I don't even know which files are the patch files and which are patches that came with the original game, so I wouldn't know what files to get rid of even if I wanted to.
misterhands

Post by misterhands »

Looks like scummvm may support the NRS patch in the future.
In the meantime, try this :

Remove *.hep and *.scr from your QFG3 game directory.
Then apply the official 1.1 patch from this page:

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updat ... dates.html

That should do the trick !
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Thanks!