Nightmares of a Bartender

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Nightmares of a Bartender

Post by Strangerke »

Water, water, every where, nor any drop to drink...

Euh... No, not this nightmare: you're Ryan, a bartender who can't sleep peacefully for months because of weird dreams and nightmares.
During one of those, a monk suggests you become the deliverer who would keep the Dreamweb safe by killing its enemies.

The ScummVM Team is proud to announce that Dreamweb is now playable in ScummVM using the latest daily builds, and ready for testing.

Please post any bugs you find in the bugtracker, following our bug submission guidelines. Any screenshots of your playthrough is welcome.
Jdrive

Post by Jdrive »

God damnit - I packed my copy of dreamweb into a moving box just 3 days ago, won't be coming back out for a few months!

Love that game... will be interesting to play again, I have an Australian copy (well I think I do, I bought it here, but 2nd hand) apparently it had some mild censorship? Anyhoo.. nice work, I'll be checking this out when I can. I have forgotten how it ends, I keep mixing it and the movie Videodrome up lol.. guess I must have been playing it around the time I saw that (awesome) movie.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Well done ScummVM team! I look forward to be able to play Dreamweb on my phone :)

Now only GK1 & GK2 remains, and then ScummVM will be perfect in my eyes, and run all the 2D adventure games I have 8)
Paolo86

Post by Paolo86 »

Been eagerly waiting for this one. Thanks guys!
ufoufo

Post by ufoufo »

I am copying my DreamWeb CD to hard disk. There is a music track also on the CD. I have never played the game. Do I need to copy the audio track as well and how should I name it assuming it will be a mp3 file?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

ufoufo wrote:I am copying my DreamWeb CD to hard disk. There is a music track also on the CD. I have never played the game. Do I need to copy the audio track as well and how should I name it assuming it will be a mp3 file?
The audio tracks are not used by the game so no, you don't need to rip it
balpat

Post by balpat »

Great news!

Coincidentally, I just wanted to play Dreamweb again and maybe make a video review about it.

First, I was a little disappointed when the graphics appeared to be too bright but then I discovered the checkbox in the engine options of the game to turn this overbright-mode off.

If there's one game where bright colors are completely wrong, it's Dreamweb. ;)

During the intro, the thumping sound each text has (like in Bladerunner) seems to be missing every second time but otherwise the game sounds a lot better than in DOSBox (true, it's still the same low-definition audio but there's less noise, popping and crackling).

So far, I'm impressed.
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

Hi, just a word to say the Bug 3523338 (Incorrect Charset in Italian Version) is actually fixed.
Thank you everybody, people!
balpat

Post by balpat »

Okay, I have finished Dreamweb MS-DOS-Version twice now.

Sometimes, the last dialog in the subway tunnel doesn't play. I couldn't really reproduce it as it seems to happen randomly.

Other than that, I couldn't find any problems
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

balpat wrote:Sometimes, the last dialog in the subway tunnel doesn't play. I couldn't really reproduce it as it seems to happen randomly.
Floppy or CD? English?
balpat

Post by balpat »

Oh, sorry. CD.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Awesome game...i forgot how gory it was :-)

Can the Amiga versions (low-res, AGA) be supported or do they have a foreign data structure?
At least the file structure seems to be the same.

Just asking if there is already someone doing foreign version support as i don't want to spam the bug tracker.
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Wow! I never thought I'd see this in ScummVM! Dreamweb is one of my top five favourite games of all time, and one of the most atmospheric and immersive games I've ever played. I still remember buying it, and finding out a day later that it got "banned" and withdrawn from sale here (Australia). AFAIK, it was never 'censored' (would love to know if it was) but was definitely pulled off the shelves.

Anyway, a HUGE thanks to everyone involved on bringing this to ScummVM!

INITIAL BUG REPORTS:
* I second the missing "thoooom!" sound effects (actually, every *other* one is missing for me) during the opening titles.
*I have no speech. Even though I have ScummVM set to "speech" (and other games work fine), I see subtitles during the intro but no voiceover. Same in the game: no speech from Ryan when I look at things, etc. I'm not sure if there was a "no speech" CD version (I always assumed it was only the floppy that had no speech), but mine's definitely the full speech version.

If there IS a speech and non speech difference, I'm happy to help with whatever you folks need with my CD to be able to properly identify it. Just let me know!

My game detects as "Dreamweb" if that makes a difference (if it should be "Dreamweb-CD" or something? I'm using the current x64 build from the 'daily' page.

Incidentally, in college I used to dream of somehow getting the source code for DreamWeb one day (or 'remaking it from the graphics files) and "enhancing" the game... restoring some of what I always felt was cut/rushed content, such as the priest's resolution, adding new puzzles and options, etc. :)

I've submitted the detection bug above, and hopefully it can be resolved soon. Interestingly there were at least three different versions of Dreamweb released - the UK original (mine that won't detect), a 'White Label' re-release, and a censored version released in the US - all with subtle file differences. In the "censored" version, David Crane is wearing underpants when he is assassinated!
Last edited by Banjo on Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Banjo wrote: Incidentally, in college I used to dream of somehow getting the source code for DreamWeb one day (or 'remaking it from the graphics files) and "enhancing" the game... restoring some of what I always felt was cut/rushed content, such as the priest's resolution, adding new puzzles and options, etc. :)
Did you expect the source code to be in assembly? :)
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

tsoliman wrote:
Banjo wrote: Incidentally, in college I used to dream of somehow getting the source code for DreamWeb one day (or 'remaking it from the graphics files) and "enhancing" the game... restoring some of what I always felt was cut/rushed content, such as the priest's resolution, adding new puzzles and options, etc. :)
Did you expect the source code to be in assembly? :)
That would have been cool! LOL! However, I actually would have been happy to just get hold of the art and sound assets to 'remake' the game from the ground up. :)

(though I managed to rip the audio files years ago, I believe the graphics files are in an old 'Amiga' format of some kind that I can't figure out)

I'm serious when I say that this is one of my favourite games ever played, with a very special place in my heart.

Dreamweb is not without it's shortcomings (hence my years of dreaming of 'fixing' certain things) but the music and graphics had such an atmospheric effect on me that I've continued to play through it at least once or twice a year ever since 1994.

It's one of a small handful of games I feel *really* passionate about, so please forgive my silly dreams. ;)

It also comes (at least the initial CD release) with IMO one of the best 'documentations' ("Diary of a Madman?") of any game I've ever owned. It holds better narrative and character development than the game itself!