Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge music

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Most people in here do actually;)

But to clarify, nobody thinks you are a 'cock'(I presume that is what you meant). In actuality, nobody really cares what you do with your 20 year old computer games as long as you don't discuss piracy on these forums.

But we do care that you love ScummVM and have decided to stick to the rules that will help preserve this project for the future.

So, welcome to the forums, I guess;)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Jonatan wrote:But to clarify, nobody thinks you are a 'cock'(I presume that is what you meant).
Actually, he probably meant "cook" (pronounced "kewk", like with the long 'o' sound). As in 'oddball.'
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

In that case, I stand corrected.
bo1e

Post by bo1e »

Not quite sure how to take that, but I guess as long as you think I'm neither its probably a good thing :p
And yes, ScummVM is really one of the neatest projects ever, the games supported are among the best ever (why did they stop making such great games??) and the number of platforms supported is quite impressive also.

And thanks for the welcome :)
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

mi2 sounds really nice with midi and a good soundfont. you don't really need cd-audio.

have a look at this video i recorded with shan's soundfont & timidiy++

imho it sounds... AWESOME :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlPRXQERmM
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Not willing to rain on your parade, but it doesn't sound nearly as close nor as good as the MT-32. I'm afraid you have a poor understanding of how a LA synth works. No offense.
tempestmichael

midi

Post by tempestmichael »

technically you could import the midi files into pro tools and could just assign a similar patch for every track.
That is if you can get the midi files out of the game.
You could actually make professional quality versions of the music this way.

Only problem is that it's not really worth doing seeing as you wouldn't be able to share them with anyone because of the copyrights.

I've done this before with the Chrono Trigger past world theme just because I wanted to have a version to listen to.

I know. That's pretty nerdy,
but we all have those soundtracks that we just can't get out of our heads.
I'm currently addicted to the Myst soundtracks by Robyn Miller.
They are awesome.

You could probably also just use something like windows media player to convert them to wav or mp3 format using the actual windows synth, but I can't guaranty that the program will let you do that.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

WMP won't convert anything. And it's not copyright infringement to record covers or remixes. Take a look at Quest Studios, Sierra Music Central, VGMix, OC Remix, Dwelling of Duels, LucasArts Soundtracks, or HighLand Productions. Copyright infringement usually comes about when you distribute the original recordings.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Cyphox wrote:mi2 sounds really nice with midi and a good soundfont. you don't really need cd-audio.

have a look at this video i recorded with shan's soundfont & timidiy++

imho it sounds... AWESOME :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nlPRXQERmM
IMHO This sounds very wrong.

The instruments sound wrong (every 4th note or so is very very jarring like a chalkboard sound). The volume on them is wrong too. This makes some of them too faint (like they're missing).

I am not an audiophile by any stretch but listen to this right after you listen to an MT-32 and you'll know what I am talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fvO__ywTZg
tempestmichael

Midi

Post by tempestmichael »

MusicallyInspired wrote:WMP won't convert anything. And it's not copyright infringement to record covers or remixes. Take a look at Quest Studios, Sierra Music Central, VGMix, OC Remix, Dwelling of Duels, LucasArts Soundtracks, or HighLand Productions. Copyright infringement usually comes about when you distribute the original recordings.

It would be copyright infringement to use the songs commercially. You wouldn't be able to collect songwriter's royalties on them so it wouldn't be worth the time and effort.
If it were that easy to steal music and make money off of somebody else's work, I'd quit.
Believe me I know, because if this weren't the case
I would be selling that chrono trigger cover to my music library.
It's okay to cover a song, but you'll never make royalties off of it unless you add a new part or something.
I guess I should have been more specific.

That's awful that WMP won't let you do something so simple.
Maybe there's another program.
I mean, I could go through all of the trouble of putting this through pro tools, but I have actual commercial music to work on so it's not happening.

There's got to be a program that lets you export to MP3/WAV from midi. It's too simple of a thing to do to be so much trouble. I remember doing this with a program back in the 90's. It's definitely possible. Too bad I don't remember what I did that with.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Re: Midi

Post by tsoliman »

tempestmichael wrote: It would be copyright infringement to use the songs commercially. You wouldn't be able to collect songwriter's royalties on them so it wouldn't be worth the time and effort.
IANAL but AFAIK this isn't true in the US.
Distributing (copies of) a copyrighted work (or any derived works) without a (valid) license is copyright infringement.

"Fair use" is a defense against copyright infringement.
tempestmichael

Post by tempestmichael »

yea, I'm Canadian so our laws are different.

I know that you need the songwriter's permission if you want to do a cover on a commercial album.
At least my music library (which is in the U.S.) requires you to have permission.

I try to stay away from covers all together because it's just a hassle even if you manage to get the proper permissions.

Fair use: "fair use is a doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship."

As you can see, fair use doesn't cover using songs commercially which is what matters.

We're getting off topic though.

I found some software that claims that it converts midi to mp3.

http://download.cnet.com/Direct-MIDI-to ... 88970.html

I haven't tried it yet.
If anyone tries it and it works
let me know.
I don't really have a reason to use it right now, but it may help.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

This is tricky with MI2 due to iMuse.
They have musical loops in there that gracefully exit when the music changes.

Ignoring this for a moment, here's a very straightforward way of recording MI2 music: Use a recording application to record everything that's coming from "line-in".
tempestmichael

Post by tempestmichael »

are you talking about recording the audio strait out of the game tsoliman?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Yes, straight out of the MT-32 analog output (which is hooked up to your line-in) and then cutting it into tracks later.

MI2 reprogrammed the MT-32 so you can not play straight GM or GS MIDI and expect it to sound correct. You'll need the sysex command dumps as well as the midi "music".

MI2 also used iMuse, take the Largo music from the first scene in the game as an example: There's multiple ways to have that music end. Try skipping the text at different rates so the conversation ends in different parts of the track and you'll see what I mean.