LOTT and BASS Amiga and Atari ST versions?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

AlesteDX

LOTT and BASS Amiga and Atari ST versions?

Post by AlesteDX »

Hi...

Will be LOTT Amiga and Atari ST versions and BASS Amiga version supported someday in the future?

Thanks.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

While it's certainly possible, it may not happen. Since both LOTT and BASS are freely downloadable, users can run the PC versions on every system ScummVM supports. As such, there's not as much incentive to add support for the other system versions of the games.

Of course, it's always possible a programmer will come along who prefers to work with those systems, and will add support in for them. Who knows..
AlesteDX

Post by AlesteDX »

Ok, many thanks...

I played them a few years ago on Amiga, so you know, The version you've played bring many beatiful memories... :D

Regards.
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

dreammaster wrote:While it's certainly possible, it may not happen. Since both LOTT and BASS are freely downloadable, users can run the PC versions on every system ScummVM supports. As such, there's not as much incentive to add support for the other system versions of the games.

Of course, it's always possible a programmer will come along who prefers to work with those systems, and will add support in for them. Who knows..
I am under the impression that the Lucas Arts games used a scripting engine on each platform, so that the actual "game" only needs to be written once.

Is this not how Revolution approached Lure of the Temptress? I am keen to play the Amiga version as it has better audio and more subdued graphics than the PC version.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

bloodline wrote: I am under the impression that the Lucas Arts games used a scripting engine on each platform, so that the actual "game" only needs to be written once.

Is this not how Revolution approached Lure of the Temptress? I am keen to play the Amiga version as it has better audio and more subdued graphics than the PC version.
From what I understand, at least the DOS version of Beneath a Steel Sky had a lot of hard-coded game data in the EXE file itself. In ScummVM, much of this is now part of the sky.cpt file instead. I have no idea how similar or dissimilar the Amiga version is.
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
bloodline wrote: I am under the impression that the Lucas Arts games used a scripting engine on each platform, so that the actual "game" only needs to be written once.

From what I understand, at least the DOS version of Beneath a Steel Sky had a lot of hard-coded game data in the EXE file itself. In ScummVM, much of this is now part of the sky.cpt file instead. I have no idea how similar or dissimilar the Amiga version is.
I see, many thanks for your reply.

I guess I'm probably going to have to disassemble my Amiga version and try and figure out what's going on... I've not used 68k asm for 15 years... this is going to be difficult :(
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

Ok, the Amiga disks are non standard format... getting at the files is going to be difficult... This is a mammoth task just to get sampled sound and some lightening at the start ;)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I'm also trying on my side to rip the files out of the Atari or Amiga floppies, (with the help of an Amiga demo-scener, between others). If you make any progress, please keep us informed: even Revolution is interested to get those as they lost everything concerning those versions.

Best regards,
Strangerke
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

Strangerke wrote:I'm also trying on my side to rip the files out of the Atari or Amiga floppies, (with the help of an Amiga demo-scener, between others). If you make any progress, please keep us informed: even Revolution is interested to get those as they lost everything concerning those versions.

Best regards,
Strangerke
I'm still trying to find my old ReSource disks! That software should allow me to rip the data apart :)