ScummVM on Widescreen TV

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kelp7

ScummVM on Widescreen TV

Post by kelp7 »

Hi,

I'm having problems running LucasArts games in ScummVM on my Widescreen Panasonic Viera TV. I'm using an eMachines PC with Windows 7 and am using an HDMI cable to get the picture from the PC to the TV. The PC is in 1920 x 1080 screen resolution (I had to resize the windows desktop a bit to fit the desktop to the widescreen picture). The PC has an Nvidia graphics card.

I want to run the adventures in full screen mode. This is mostly fine and I get a nice picture filling my widescreen TV's display but unfortunately the picture itself is just a little too large for the TV screen. So, for instance, in Monkey Island 2 you don't see all of what a character is saying if they are standing too far to the left or right of the playing-area. A little bit of their word will be chopped off. Also, the commands in the bottom area of the screen (i.e. GET, PUSH, GIVE etc) are mostly okay apart from the bottom row of commands where you only see half the word (the top half) as the bottom half of the word is chopped off.

I've tried using the 'aspect ratio' setting in ScummVM but this didn't seem to help.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas?

Cheers
kelp
siggie

Post by siggie »

Disable overscan on the tv (somewhere in the menu) , and set the aspect ratio (on the remote) to 'just'. This should hopefully fix your issues.
kelp7

Post by kelp7 »

Thanks, I shall try that. I have a Panasonic TX-26LXD70 and I think it might be a little limited on what it can do but I'll take a look anyway, thanks again for the reply.
kelp7

Post by kelp7 »

Thanks again for that, that is exactly the correct answer. Learnt quite a bit after googling 'overscan' and this article here:

http://unrelatednotes.blogspot.com/2009 ... -menu.html

specifically helped me on my exact hardware! :) Brilliant!
siggie

Post by siggie »

Glad it worked , but I assumed your tv was full-hd. Quite some trickery needed to get it sorted.
Wouldn't it be easier to output in your tv's native format , probably 1366x768?
kelp7

Post by kelp7 »

Hmm, i felt confident my TV was full-hd. How do you know that it isn't? The TV will display my PC's desktop when I set the PC to 1920 x 1080. I admit, I really don't know a lot about appropriate resolutions but I imagined if it could display the picture (and not just show a blank screen or an error) if I sent a 1920 x 1080 signal to it from my PC then it must be an HD TV.

Basically, there is a specific "PC" input on my TV but I'm not using that. It's just a VGA cable connector. I think my eMachine has both a VGA output and a HDMI output, do you suppose I should just use the VGA connector instead? I'm using the HDMI output simply because I presumed this would be the best quality. (Obviously I guess that wouldn't matter for low-res old games that i'm emulating on the system).

cheers
siggie

Post by siggie »

Go here for the manual and scroll down to the specifications. 1,049,088 (1,366 (W) × 768 (H)
What it does now , is accept the higher resolution and scale it to 1366x768. If you set your pc to output in 1366x768 the picture should be a bit more sharper.
As for the connection method , HDMI gives you the best quality. So no need to connect it using VGA.
kelp7

Post by kelp7 »

Oh my God, i've got fake HD ! Did not realise that at all. I assumed because the TV often quickly puts up messages when you change channels and change inputs like 480p in the corner of the screen (when I'm using the Wii) or 1080p when viewing my digital box on HD channels that the TV was capable of accepting and also showing up to 1080p

Heh, great! So i'm not really experiencing HD quality when viewing HD tv channels then?

Ah well, thanks again for all your help. Glad someone took the time as it was frustrating trying to play Monkey Island, The Dig, Day of the Tentacle etc with parts of the screen chopped off, at least I can play them and enjoy them properly now :)

Thanks again