Top 5 adventure games and time to complete.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lovee236

Top 5 adventure games and time to complete.

Post by Lovee236 »

As the topic, what's ur top 5 adventure games and how long did it take you to complete them?

1. Monkey island 1 (2 months) I was a kid
2. the book of unwritten tales (3 days)
3. Full throttle (3 days)
4. Vampire story (1 week)
5. Jolly rover (2 days)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I made a post about this with my top 10:
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/2006/12/ ... dventures/

As for completion times, gosh that really did vary depending on my age at the time and back then the Internet was quite a new thing, so online walkthroughs if you were stuck weren't really an option. It was down to perseverance and trying everything in your inventory :)

Discworld for me was certainly the most difficult, without a walkthrough I doubt I would have ever completed it!
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Maybe you should take a look at this thread? ;)

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6810
Lovee236

Post by Lovee236 »

I do know there are many threads of these out there but my thread differs because I really want to know how long it really took someone to compelte the game itself. This would probably help people to get games wich are long and good or short and good.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Maybe I'm strange (maybe?) but I don't think I've ever timed my gameplay. Not even in largish units of time like days or weeks. But, just on a feelings basis, more-recent adventure games tend to be shorter than those from the '90s, and shorter-again in the '80s. There are exceptions. Full Throttle is very short for it's era. The Rose Tattoo is very, very long even for it's era. Apart from maybe getting a 'Is that it?' feeling from a short game, I'm not sure I see the point. Maybe because I've only gotten that feeling from Full Throttle. And I tend to leave a game alone for a while when I'm stuck, to let the problem roll around in my subconscious until a solution bubbles up to the surface. That sort of makes game-length irrelevant the first time through.
chuckzz

Post by chuckzz »

I’ve heard about the monkey island though I haven’t had the chance to play it, you know too hooked on one of the famous games the Temple Run.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Full Throttle is very short for it's era.
Yet it took me almost 15 years to complete. :wink:
MeddlingMonk wrote:I'm not sure I see the point. Maybe because I've only gotten that feeling from Full Throttle. And I tend to leave a game alone for a while when I'm stuck, to let the problem roll around in my subconscious until a solution bubbles up to the surface. That sort of makes game-length irrelevant the first time through.
I can only agree with that (not the 'Full Throttle was short feeling' but everything else). And the fact internet was almost non-existant when playing the games as a child also meant no access to walkthrough or help (unless you wanted to use surtaxed helplines).
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Maybe I'm strange (maybe?) but I don't think I've ever timed my gameplay.
I don't think you're strange. I never time gameplay either :)
Lovee236

Post by Lovee236 »

It also depends if you don't use walkthroughs, they could really save up time and therefore make you feel like the game was really long.
balpat

Post by balpat »

I'm even stranger. I pretty much don't care how long a game is as long as it's good.

So I don't measure how long my initial playthrough of a game takes. I do, however, sometimes measure (well, approximately) how long a playthrough takes once I know what needs to be done.

Discworld 1 for example. It took me several years to finish - with pauses, of course - and the game is fairly long for an adventure, taking about seven hours to finish.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

1. Gabriel Knight Sins Of the Fathers
2. Curse Of Monkey Island
3. Space Quest 6
4. Simon The Sorcerer 2
5. Gray Matter

I'm not sure about the playing times, but i can tell you i'm a very slow adventurer. 8)
killcake

Post by killcake »

1. Sanitarium
2. Sanitarium
3. Sanitarium
4. Sanitarium
5. Sanitarium
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i bought the dig when it came out, i finished it last week - this wasn't a continuous effort tho :)
HeroPally

Post by HeroPally »

Yess,Sanitarium is the best! :)
marriejonsan
Spammer

Post by marriejonsan »

My top 5 adventure games are
Day of the Tentacle
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Full Throttle
Maniac Mansion
Grim Fandango