MUNT Reloaded?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

siggie

Post by siggie »

Sounds pretty good to my ears. Running version 1.5.0git2318-g866e23f. Something wrong with your config?
joe

Post by joe »

could you compare it to this /video below/ ?

youtube . com/watch?v=MFpeBUvKU7s&feature=youtu.be
siggie

Post by siggie »

Yup , that's what I compared it with.
Do you maybe have game specific settings overriding the global ones?
joe

Post by joe »

siggie wrote:Yup , that's what I compared it with.
Do you maybe have game specific settings overriding the global ones?
... thank you, so its problem on my side, will work on it .. update .. nop, no luck .. i deleted everything, clear install, same horrible crappy sound under MT32 emulation, DosBox is still crystal clear.
NoiZje

Post by NoiZje »

@JOE
It seems that the buildbot is stuck at the 3rd of february which still includes the old MUNT code.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I did some testing with a few games. Some of the sounds of the pod door opening in the beginning of SQ3 are either missing or extremely quiet. I'm going to test with the WDM driver equivalent to see if it's specifically a ScummVM issue or a MUNT issue (I'm guessing the latter). It's also unfortunate that the digital sound effects are favoured in ScummVM as the MT-32 sound effects are much better than most of the 8-bit, 22khz, mono digital variations. Hopefully the team will find a way to add a toggle to the GUI options soon without things being too confusing. I realize it's hard to support the vast options of different games with a single wrapped UI menu.

The sound otherwise is pretty spot on! Even the reverb, from what I've heard so far!
Last edited by MusicallyInspired on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe

Post by joe »

... I am starting to think, thats a performance problem on my poor PC rig /single core AMD 1.8Ghz/ - Indiana 4, PQ2, MI 1-2 everywhere sounds MUNT /new daily ScummVM build/ simply awful, it seems to me, that PQ II intro is running 25% slower, still DosBOX with MUNT is perfect.

Originally posted by OmerMor
"It seems that the BuildBot is stuck building a revision from February 3rd."
"Thanks for reporting this. I've un-stuck it manually."

... all is working perfectly now !!
NoiZje

Post by NoiZje »

Yes all is working properly now. Incredible work!
stefan81

Post by stefan81 »

could someone try future wars with MT32 emulator? it crashes for me on the latest 64bit windows daily build.
siggie

Post by siggie »

stefan81 wrote:could someone try future wars with MT32 emulator? it crashes for me on the latest 64bit windows daily build.
32-bit Windows build crashes as well , just after the copy protection.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

stefan81 wrote:could someone try future wars with MT32 emulator? it crashes for me on the latest 64bit windows daily build.
That might very well happen, the old emulator had the same problem. It seems like Future Wars either sends malformed SysEx data or there's some problem in the emulator implementation.
joe

Post by joe »

siggie wrote:
32-bit Windows build crashes as well , just after the copy protection.
... hm, its working for me, WinXP /32 bit/, playing music just fine /a little bit of cracking noise due to performance problems, game runs slower/, DosBox is loud and clear.
circletheory

Digitized Samples in SQ3

Post by circletheory »

Wow, after trying SQ3 with the nightly build, I was surprised to hear the 'Where am I' sample in the Intro. After googling this, I found out some history on the sample such as how it only appeared on the Amiga version, and then a patched was introduced to unlock it on the PC version.

Does anyone have the complete list of digitized samples from SQ3?? I'm also very curious as to what other digitized samples there are in the earlier EGA SCI games, if any. (Colonel's Bequest? LSL2/3??, KQ4?)

Thanks,
CT
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The flyby ship sound from SQ4 is used for the Alluminum Mallard as it swoops down to land on a planet. Though, I can't remember now if it was a digital sound or just an MT-32 sound...at any rate "Where am I?" is the only digital sound effect unique to the digital sound driver. All the other digital sound effects are just lo-fi recordings of the MT-32 equivalents.

KQ1SCI has quite a bit of digital sounds, again mostly from the MT-32, but also a handful of unique ones. QFG2 has lots of digital MT-32 sounds. I can't remember at the moment if any are unique or not. I know that KQ4, being the first SCI0 game, doesn't have any. I don't think Camelot or LSL2 does either. LSL3 might.

At any rate, you could look through the sound resources of any SCI0 game with SCI Viewer and find out for yourself.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Thanks to all whose worked on the MT32 emulator and those who integrated it to the latest source. MT32 sounds from ScummVM are amazing - maybe not perfect but what a difference from before!