Wanting information on odd Curse of Monkey Island bundle

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Catweasel

Wanting information on odd Curse of Monkey Island bundle

Post by Catweasel »

Earlier today I saw a very eye catching thing in Goodwill, a shrinkwrapped copy of The Curse of Monkey Island, for four dollars! But it's even better than that, it's some special bundle that includes Monkey Island 1 and 2, along with a Prima guide for Curse. I'm not really able to find any info on this bundle online and I'm curious about if it's better off being kept shrinkwrapped or if I might as well pop it open.

And if this is the wrong place to ask this kind of question, my apologies!
(Behold, a low quality webcam photo of most of the front of the box! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3925001/Picture0157.jpg
vasyl

Post by vasyl »

Looks like a limited time promotion, Lucasarts tended to do a lot of them at that time. IIRC, my copy came with a coupon for free Monkey Madness by mail (which I've promptly used). I don't think there is anything special about this bundle except for the paper wrapper.
My favorite Lucasarts promo was Grim Fandango - included Full Throttle in the box and Day of the Tentacle by mail. Good times!
Catweasel

Post by Catweasel »

Monkey Island 1 and 2 came on a "Monkey Island Madness" CD. Funny that it includes a Monkey Island 3 demo, since I purchased the full game and got it.
vasyl

Post by vasyl »

Monkey Island Madness was a completely separate release, it was only bundled with MI3 by LA marketing. It was also available as a part of LA Archives Vol.3. Not sure if it was ever sold separately though, in any case, I've never seen it in a box, just a CD.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

vasyl wrote:Monkey Island Madness was a completely separate release, it was only bundled with MI3 by LA marketing. It was also available as a part of LA Archives Vol.3. Not sure if it was ever sold separately though, in any case, I've never seen it in a box, just a CD.
It was definitly sold in a box: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/monke ... rId,72630/

I don't know anything about LA Archives Vol. 3., but as I understand it Monkey Island Madness contains the CD audio version of Monkey Island 1.

Oddly mobygames lists this release, which is a German only release: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/monke ... rId,27126/ under Monkey Island Madness too, but this one only contains the Monkey Island 1 VGA Floppy version on CD.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

There's 2 ebay items that look similar, Lucasarts Archives, w/ all 3 games still sealed , except it doesn't have the COMI strategy guide (looks awesome, 180 pages or so)
One is listed @ 60 another @ 125. There's an auction for the guide at $25 too.
I don't know how much you actually will get, but definitely more than $4. Looks like you got a good deal. I would really want to check out the strategy guide if it were mine.( Maybe you could open it carefully, then just reseal it with plastic and a heat gun )
vasyl

Post by vasyl »

Lucasarts adventures get really good prices on Ebay so $4 was a steal.
I have that strategy guide. It's actually a little more than 180 pages, the first 35 pages use Roman numbers but still have more information that just the contents. A few color plates as well but no poster. Pretty decent guide, one of the better Prima guides, imho. I still prefer MI1&2 hint books...