Game Demos required

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kirben

Post by Kirben »

legoking831 wrote:Also, I know you requested to do this a long time ago, but I totally forgot about it. The Let's Explore the Farm demo on here seems to be an extremely early version of it, so here's a later version:
Thanks, I added the demo.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Well, just uncovered by me, it's the German demo of SPY Fox 1!

And, quite hilariously, it turns out that the game used to be called Agent Fuchs, which sounds very hilarious to English speakers! I really can't blame Infogrammes for changing it!
(Link removed -- stupid post was identified as spam -- I'll try again in a few hours...)
GeorgeQGreg

Re: Game Demos required

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Kirben wrote:Pajama Sam 1 Windows Dutch demo
You already appear to have this demo...
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

gregsanimation wrote:
There are two Dutch game demos of Pajama Sam 1, and we only have one game demo so far.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Kirben wrote:
gregsanimation wrote:
There are two Dutch game demos of Pajama Sam 1, and we only have one game demo so far.
Oh... I actually have one... Which one do you need? I'll have to check mine against yours...

P.S Whenever I try to upload the German demo of SPY Fox you guys want, it's always identified as spam! This is very frustrating!
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Actually looks like we don't have any Pajama Sam 1 Windows Dutch demos, as the link on our web page is an error (links to the Pajama Sam 2 demo).

Maybe try posting your links as words only (without the http prefix), or more separated between the dots, to avoid the spam trigger.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Kirben wrote:Actually looks like we don't have any Pajama Sam 1 Windows Dutch demos, as the link on our web page is an error (links to the Pajama Sam 2 demo).

Maybe try posting your links as words only (without the http prefix), or more separated between the dots, to avoid the spam trigger.
I've already attempted that with the German SPY Fox 1 demo. No go... :( I've also attempted emailing the email address as instructed, I've had no response. I really don't wanna try it again either, as I'm very afraid I'll get banned or something horrible. Any advice?

Wait... hmm...

mediafire .com /?8nrw17aak2vtio1

UPDATE: Egad! I've just tried to play this demo through on ScummVM, and it CRASHES when I try to go to the docks! :O I well imagine the main HE SCUMM dev will have a fun time patching that one out... :P

UPDATE 2: Well, It seems to crash the original EXE, so I probably have a corrupted file... I'll have to try and sort that one out... Sorry for troubling you...

UPDATE 3: The data file on the disc is simply broken, it's not the fault of my CD drive... I have no idea what is going on here, but I'll be getting more old games from Germany soon, so perhaps I'll find out then... I leave the link here though, in the hope you find it useful anyway...
Last edited by GeorgeQGreg on Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Well, that worked! Hooray!

And lo and behold, here's the Dutch demo of Pajama Sam 1! What a glorious day this is for ScummVM! mediafire .com/ ?bwghkpowb5b7fg0
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

I discovered quite recently that Wyrmkeep originally put out a small non-interactive demo of Inherit The Earth on their website back in 2003/04 before replacing it with a larger playable demo. Here are two Web Archive references to it (the latter letting you know of the size)...

http://web.archive.org/web/200308112246 ... nload.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406031015 ... nload.html

Unfortunately Wyrmkeep are guarding their downloads section with a robots.txt so I'm unable to attempt to retrieve any older (and since overwritten) files through Archive. So my question to everyone is: do you still have the original non-interactive demo of this game from back then? I'm keen on knowing if it's the same demo as the old DOS demo (just ported to Windows/Mac), or if it's a different one entirely. Alternatively, I could try e-mailing Wyrmkeep and see if they still have it and/or are kind enough to provide it for historical purposes.

Oh, and another thing...
marzipan wrote:Sorry to mention this again, but..... if anyone ever comes across a CD/FTP/site/whatever containing a PLAYFATE archive with data files that match what's in this post, then do let me know. I'd appreciate finally seeing an original archive of this forgotten revision of the demo again. :)

For history's sake, this is Web Archive's capture of the FileLibrary.com page containing the archive. The date stamp for playfate.zip pretty much matches the datestamps for the data files in my archive linked above. This still drives me mad to this day!

Strangely, everything else run by Channel 1 Communications is still active, and the WhoIs information for FileLibrary.com indicates it's still owned by them. I've tried the one e-mail linked to them a long while back, but everything I sent got bounced back. My only other solution is to try and long-distance call their phone number, but I'm not sure how well that would work and if it would seem odd of me to ask them about their defunct service and (possibly) ask for one specific file from them. Is it worth a try?
I'm still waiting for some kind of helpful response to this!

Failing that, I can always take the two data files, followed by interpreter files from one of the other PlayFate demos, and put them together in an archive if that makes up for not having the genuine article?
legoking831

Post by legoking831 »

I've seen a standalone demo for the Living Books game Little Monster at School, but it appears it hasn't been uploaded to the site yet. I've heard it's found on Arthur's Birthday V1 and Harry and the Haunted House. Do you guys have this demo on those games?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Yes, I have them. At one point there were several more demos on the site but at some point we went to a backup and those two (and seussabc's demo) have disappeared. I'll try to put them back up.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

I should note that my copy of the demo, from Birthday V1, doesn't appear to be detected... might want to work on that...
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

GeorgeQGreg wrote:I should note that my copy of the demo, from Birthday V1, doesn't appear to be detected... might want to work on that...
Well, mine is. So it's a little hard for me to "work on that" when I don't have a version that's not detected. Perhaps you should file a bug report or upload the demo somewhere so I could add it.
GeorgeQGreg

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

clone2727 wrote:Well, mine is. So it's a little hard for me to "work on that" when I don't have a version that's not detected. Perhaps you should file a bug report or upload the demo somewhere so I could add it.
You don't have it? I thought you said you did... will upload...

EDIT: Here it is! It's REALLY small... mediafire .com/?i1r4uixp85gxevv
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

GeorgeQGreg wrote:You don't have it? I thought you said you did... will upload...
Yes, because there's only one version of the demo :)