Dosbox MIDI vs ScummVM MIDI

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mohok

Dosbox MIDI vs ScummVM MIDI

Post by mohok »

Hi guys!

Sorry if this is an inappropriate place to discuss this but i just wanted to hear others opinions on this.

I was playing Leisure Suit Larry, VGA remake, and i was playing in DOSBox and then a thought occurred to me "Wait a second, doesn't ScummVM support SCI games now?" So i checked and low and behold, it does!

So i started a new game in ScummVM and MY GOD the MIDI sounded sooooooooooo much better!

I know this may be a silly questions, but can someone please explain this to me?
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

With no info on what your configuration is in dosbox or scummvm not to mention what your actual hardware/software configuration is, I am going to guess that dosbox was configured to use PC Speaker :P
It could be oh so many more things like Adlib vs GM (or even MT-32 although you'd notice if you had an MT-32 hooked up.)
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Exactly as already mentioned. If you have both setup correctly, then the MT-32 music should sound exactly the same in DosBox as in ScummVM. Do you own a real MT-32? Sounds like you have them both setup differently.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

envisaged0ne wrote:If you have both setup correctly, then the MT-32 music should sound exactly the same in DosBox as in ScummVM. Do you own a real MT-32? Sounds like you have them both setup differently.
If you use the Ykhwong compile of Dosbox you have a quite superior MT32 emulation so in that case Dosbox should sound better.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

It's been said before: If you don't have a real MT-32 you shouldn't be using MT-32 emulation.

Someone who cannot tell why their midi sounds better in one and not the other doesn't own an MT-32.
Collector

Post by Collector »

That had been true for quite some time, but Munt has gotten damned close to the real thing. If you know what a real MT-32 sounds like, you owe it to yourself to hear how accurate it has become.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I rather meant that if sound was coming out of your mt32, you'd know (visually)
OP wasn't sure what device (virtual or otherwise) midi was being sent to.

But yeah I agree. I almost don't use my mt32 anymore except as a reference.
valek

Post by valek »

Has ScummVM matched Ykhwong's DOSbox MT-32 emulation? I did a side by side comparison with Space Quest III. The music sounds basically the same except the DOSbox version seems to have more reverb and also in the very beginning when Roger steps out of the pod you hear the door rising in ScummVM you do not except for the "airlock" or whatever that sound is. I guess the question is, which has better MT-32 emulation today? ScummVM or Ykhwong's DOSbox? And can you adjust MT-32 settings on ScummVM?

Both are excellent programs however!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I think you shoud compare both to your real MT-32 and tell us.
valek

Post by valek »

Unfortunately I don't have a real MT-32.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

The missing sounds in sq3 have been fixed in the latest daily builds.

Also, you're probably not going to get much help when you say you don't own a real mt-32. That means you obtained the roms illegally & most people frown on that
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

Maybe it's just me, but I usually prefer the General MIDI renditions you can obtain through a Yamaha XG device rather than those of a MT-32.

Then again, some games lacking native GM support don't get along well with anything that isn't a MT-32.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

valek wrote:Unfortunately I don't have a real MT-32.
Please buy one instead of pirating the roms.
Also, read the rules.