Extracting Manica Mansion on Mac?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

HB

Extracting Manica Mansion on Mac?

Post by HB »

I am trying to figure out how to play Maniac Mansion on the Day of the Tentacle disc. Apparently, I have to use some kind of extraction utility, and then add the game, but I can't find this utility anywhere within the ScummVM program. How do I get the file out on a Mac? And I really need this step-by-step, if possible. I know the ScummVM program well enough to play the games and add them, but little beyond that. Sorry for my ignorance.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

You need ScummVM tools package. MacOS X bundle is on our downloads page.
Use extract_scumm_mac utility from there.

Eugene
HB

Using the extract command

Post by HB »

What am I supposed to type in? It keeps saying that you must specify mac data file on command line, so I tried typing the path.

/Users/griffingirl/Desktop/scummvm-tools-0.8.0/extract_scumm_mac "Day of the Tentacle Data"

This path doesn't work correctly. Apparently there is an error, saying it could not open the data. What should the path look like if my data file is on the desktop?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Try to specify full path to tentacle data file. Or make sure it is in current directory and that directory is writeable. Otherwise the command is correct.

Eugene
HB

Binary code not executable

Post by HB »

Where do I actually put in the path to the file? I have not used Terminal often. Is there an example I could look at?

I tried putting in the path to the data file, but it says something about the binary code not being executable...I'm sure I am just not doing it right.
ZPedro

Re: Using the extract command

Post by ZPedro »

HB wrote:What am I supposed to type in? It keeps saying that you must specify mac data file on command line, so I tried typing the path.

/Users/griffingirl/Desktop/scummvm-tools-0.8.0/extract_scumm_mac "Day of the Tentacle Data"

This path doesn't work correctly. Apparently there is an error, saying it could not open the data. What should the path look like if my data file is on the desktop?
That would be /Users/griffingirl/Desktop/scummvm-tools-0.8.0/extract_scumm_mac "/Users/griffingirl/Desktop/Day of the Tentacle Data"

Ironically enough, I have OSX but use a PC version of DotT...
nasty north

Re: Using the extract command

Post by nasty north »

i have been having almost this exact same problem, and this thread helped me to a point, but i think i have a problem. i should probably preface this by saying i know diddly-squat about the finer computer arts.

problem: i cannot find a data file to extract using terminal. i downloaded the tools and all, and they work in terminal, but my cd (which i run the game off of) doesn't have a data file, only the application, 'items for your system folder', and 'cd rom software'.

when terminal asks for a data file in the command line, i don't know what to put, since i don't know the route to something that doesn't seem to exist. help!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

The file has a 'hidden' attribute. I don't have a Mac to tell you exact solution, but there should be some option in menu about showing hidden files.

Eugene
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

sev wrote:The file has a 'hidden' attribute. I don't have a Mac to tell you exact solution, but there should be some option in menu about showing hidden files.
Yes, just look it up on Google. There is a command for it.
spaceb

Post by spaceb »

nastynorth: I can help you - you want to do a directory listing from within Terminal using "ls" like this to see everything on the CD (including hidden files):

ls <drive>

note: replace <drive> with actual path CD-Rom drive. The easiest way to do this is to drag the CD icon from your desktop to the terminal window. It'll do all the work for you ;)

I BELIEVE ls lists invisible files by default, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone whose more unix-savvy can help here?

Hope this helps!

-Brent
3Yenman3

Post by 3Yenman3 »

Yeah, it should show the invisible files by default :) (Unless of course some strange person has been messing with my computer when I'm not around...)
anningmay

Post by anningmay »

sev wrote:You need ScummVM tools package. MacOS X bundle is on our downloads page.
Use extract_scumm_mac utility from there.

Eugene
I don't see the ScummVM tools package for MacOS X on the downloads page. Am I missing something? I, too, would like to play the Maniac Mansion off of my DOTT disk (mac version).

Thanks!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You are right, there is no Mac OS X version of the tools on our download page. Ouch! And we are not even linking to older versions anymore (which would also work for this particular tool). Hopefully this will be rectified soon... You may want to file a bug report on our bug tracker about this, lest it might be forgotten.
anningmay

Post by anningmay »

I'll go file a bug report right now.

Thanks!