ScummVM 1.4.0 "10th Anniversary" Released!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clone2727
Retired

ScummVM 1.4.0 "10th Anniversary" Released!

Post by clone2727 »

It has been over 10 years. We are here thanks to the work of 131 developers. 49,124 commits were made just to the ScummVM tree and those turned into a massive 1,085,714 lines of code (excluding comments) and of course over 7.6 million downloads from the main site alone. I would say those were a great ten years.

The outcome is ScummVM 1.4.0 which we are releasing today, 11/11/11 11:11:11.11.

More games are supported: Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos (based on the same engine as Kyrandia), the kids' game Blue's Birthday Adventure, and the science fiction game Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch. On top of that, practically all supported Sierra SCI games now have their Amiga versions working. Our musically inclined users will notice PC speaker support in Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, CMS support in Loom, The Secret of Monkey Island and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, fixed MIDI in the DOS versions of the Elvira series, and even sound in Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood!

As always, there are many more new features; you can find the full list in our release notes and the release itself on our downloads page.

Enjoy!
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

absolutely awesome, congratulations on making it this far & thanks once again to everyone involved!
i remember waiting for scummvm to fully support all the lucas scumm games, and how in those days, requests to support other games were greeted with a standard negative response, i didn't think i'd ever see it run as many games as it does now 8)
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Good work!

CMS sounds just like through DOSBox: Everything has a higher pitch compared to the real thing :)
drumhead

Post by drumhead »

congratulations and a big THANK YOU.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

This is so wonderful!

Thank you team for all of your efforts!

I love you guys! :D
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:Good work!

CMS sounds just like through DOSBox: Everything has a higher pitch compared to the real thing :)
That's because we use the same emulator of the SAA1099 chip as DOSBox, which is from MAME AFAIK.
jepael

Post by jepael »

LordHoto wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:Good work!

That's because we use the same emulator of the SAA1099 chip as DOSBox, which is from MAME AFAIK.
If I am not mistaken, the CMS emulator is either coded so that assumes it is being run with a 8 MHz master clock, resulting in a lot of values there to be 31250 in the calculations. Or then it is somehow configured wrong. On my Soundblaster, the chips are run with half of the 14.318181MHz available on ISA slot, so one of the noise frequencies would in fact be 27965Hz instead of 31250Hz.

This link some documentation that describes the difference (see noise channel frequencies for example)

There is no need to modify the whole CMS emulation to be cycle-accurate against a given sampling rate, if the audio streams are resampled and mixed together anyway, the CMS emulator just needs to be initialized with a sampling rate to 89.4% of the real value it now has.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

jepael wrote:There is no need to modify the whole CMS emulation to be cycle-accurate against a given sampling rate, if the audio streams are resampled and mixed together anyway, the CMS emulator just needs to be initialized with a sampling rate to 89.4% of the real value it now has.
That's probably the problem, the CMS uses the SAA1099 with a non-default clock rate and thus all the frequencies differ. In fact if you check the specs for the SAA1099 chip, you will notice that they use a 8 MHz master clock for the chip.

Adapting the sample rate might be a good temporary solution.
jepael

Post by jepael »

LordHoto wrote: That's probably the problem, the CMS uses the SAA1099 with a non-default clock rate and thus all the frequencies differ. In fact if you check the specs for the SAA1099 chip, you will notice that they use a 8 MHz master clock for the chip.
A lot of different devices just use what they already happen to have available, as in the case of PC. The chips can operate between about 3.9 and 8.3 MHz, so in fact there is no default value - they just happened to use 8MHz to serve as an example.
LordHoto wrote: Adapting the sample rate might be a good temporary solution.
Thanks for considering the idea, good to know if it is of any help.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

jepael wrote:
LordHoto wrote: That's probably the problem, the CMS uses the SAA1099 with a non-default clock rate and thus all the frequencies differ. In fact if you check the specs for the SAA1099 chip, you will notice that they use a 8 MHz master clock for the chip.
A lot of different devices just use what they already happen to have available, as in the case of PC. The chips can operate between about 3.9 and 8.3 MHz, so in fact there is no default value - they just happened to use 8MHz to serve as an example.
Sure there's not "default" value per se, but it's the value the docs talk about and that's a pretty good reason to use it as a default value.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

I made some recordings with my Sound Blaster 1.5. Feel free to use them as a reference!

Last Crusade:
http://www.mediafire.com/?caksju488o6u44i

Loom
http://www.mediafire.com/?iv213g4g34grqdd

Monkey
http://www.mediafire.com/?b4mzw6f9y57b4iz

Space Quest 3
http://www.mediafire.com/?hau9i36jldxyz62
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:I made some recordings with my Sound Blaster 1.5. Feel free to use them as a reference.
Oh, I already gave him recordings of my 1.5 :P
NovaCoder

Post by NovaCoder »

Congrats to all involved 8)
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

clone2727 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:I made some recordings with my Sound Blaster 1.5. Feel free to use them as a reference.
Oh, I already gave him recordings of my 1.5 :P
Awesome!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Very nice! Good to see sound support being updated!