Lossless compression of Scumm san files

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CaptainJei

Lossless compression of Scumm san files

Post by CaptainJei »

Hi, I'm a bit new to compression, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a completely lossless compression setting one can use when compressing Scumm san files using ScummVM tools. Thanks!
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

FLAC
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

ScummVM doesn't let me select FLAC for san files, only ogg or mp3. Is that normal?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

CaptainJei wrote:ScummVM doesn't let me select FLAC for san files, only ogg or mp3. Is that normal?
I don't know about this particular case, but if the original audio files are compressed to begin with it's possible that FLAC will produce larger files, not smaller.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
CaptainJei wrote:ScummVM doesn't let me select FLAC for san files, only ogg or mp3. Is that normal?
I don't know about this particular case, but if the original audio files are compressed to begin with it's possible that FLAC will produce larger files, not smaller.
That makes sense. Is there a lossless setting for ogg? And is the video compression lossless as well?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

CaptainJei wrote: That makes sense. Is there a lossless setting for ogg?
Strictly speaking, Ogg is a container format that can be used with a number of different audio and video codecs. However, in this case it's used for the Vorbis codec, which uses lossy compression.
CaptainJei wrote: And is the video compression lossless as well?
I believe so, though admittedly that belief is based only on the README file saying that "t uses lossless zlib for compressing FOBJ gfx chunks inside a san file". (I would guess that the "F" in "FOBJ" means "frame", or something like that.)
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Thanks for the help!