Fate of Atalntis Fighting ...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Stevey_87

Fate of Atalntis Fighting ...

Post by Stevey_87 »

Hi all this is my first post so please go easy on me ...

i picked up a load of old software at a car boot sale , in it was Fate of atlantis amazing .. i wanted to play it for years .. problem is ....

Its the FM-Towns version which runs fine .... APART FROM the fighting , the number pad wont work with num lock on or off .... its a bit frustrating using the mouse and hoping someone else has a bright idea regards this

any help recieved with many thanks
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

FM Towns games are not fully supported because they are so expensive to acquire that almost no developers owns an original copy. If you want to help out, the best thing you can do is to donate your copy to the ScummVM team;)

Which, understandably, you won't because then you would have no copy of your own.
Stevey_87

Post by Stevey_87 »

.. didn't know what it was for ages , i'd never heard of fm towns until this.... is this software really worth something ?? i paid 50p for a tescos bag full of 3.5inch floppies ( most of which are corrupt ) ...

and if i wanted to pirate stuff theres plenty of DOS, Mac or Amiga Versions out there i could download .. why would i make life hard for myself ???
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Hi Stevey_87

A lot of things have been fixed recently in FM Towns version recently by athrxx. Could you precise which version of ScummVM you are currently using? And some details about your platform and OS, too...

Thanks for those additional info

Best regards,
Strangerke
Stevey_87

Post by Stevey_87 »

it's version 0.12.0 , I'm running on MacOSX ...

thanks for your help
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Stevey_87 wrote:it's version 0.12.0 , I'm running on MacOSX ...

thanks for your help
This is a very old version (as in, about 3 years old). Try version 1.3.0.
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Post by athrxx »

What we fixed in the FM-TOWNS versions of SCUMM games is graphics (including Japanese mode) and sound.

Keyboard fighting in Fate of Atlantis cannot be affected by that (if it didn't work before it won't work now).

I'll have a look a that issue (if noone is faster than me ;-) ).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

athrxx wrote:I'll have a look a that issue (if noone is faster than me ;-) ).
I don't think any other developer has it :P
athrxx
ScummVM Developer

Post by athrxx »

My tests (looking at disasm and scripts, also checking with UNZ) seem to indicate that keyboard fighting is not supported in the FM-TOWNS version, although the 'f' key still works for switching keyboard mode on and off. The only key that works is the '0' key for an instant win (verified with UNZ).

Looking at the yellow manual card that shows the keyboard/mouse/joystick controls seems to verify this, too. I can't read Japanese, but the card shows a keyboard picture with descriptions for certain keys. There is no description for the number keys.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

You can still use the mouse (or touch) for that. Clicking at front of Indy executes punches, on the body will blocks, and behind will make Indy move backwards. And clicking above heads does above movements, front does standard, and below belt does lower action.

Ex: clicking at front and above Indy will make punches to enemy's head.

This works pretty well if you're playing using mobile devices that support touch screen.
Zeittriven

Post by Zeittriven »

And if you don't have a device with touch screen - then use the mouse. Looks like the only way out.

http://www.camargue34.fr/tourisme/wakka.php?wiki=spyearpiece
Spy equipment Part 2
Last edited by Zeittriven on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

But the cursor disappears during fights, which makes the mouse support almost impossible to use properly in non-touch devices...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

ICEknight wrote:But the cursor disappears during fights, which makes the mouse support almost impossible to use properly in non-touch devices...
What platform are you playing on and what game version? Over here on my desktop it doesn't hide the cursor in any of the game versions I own. Which are DOS CD, DOS floppy and Amiga to be precise.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

Just checked and oops, you're right. Sorry for the confusion.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Stevey_87 wrote:.. didn't know what it was for ages , i'd never heard of fm towns until this.... is this software really worth something ?? i paid 50p for a tescos bag full of 3.5inch floppies.
Was Atlantis the only CD?
I don't think I've come across anybody in the UK (Tescos) who has the FM Towns version of the game (I'm sure there are some - I've just never met any). Nice find. I'd probably stick it up on EBay myself. As much as I'd love to donate it to the team I could use the cash.
Last edited by Red_Breast on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.