SCI Win/Dos

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

neosmagus

SCI Win/Dos

Post by neosmagus »

when I add my Sierra games, I often get the option to choose between Win and Dos versions. Which is the preferred option? What, if any, are the differences?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The Windows CD versions of SQ4, KQ5, Jones and EcoQuest all feature alternative General MIDI tracks, that were specifically targeted for Windows.

The Windows CD version of KQ6 had upscaled graphics to 640x440, and some hires graphics for the interface - same as GK1
neosmagus

Post by neosmagus »

Thanks for the info! ;)

So the consensus is that, given a choice, the Windows version is the better one?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Usually, yes. Try both versions and judge for yourself :)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I always prefer the DOS versions. KQ6 is the only advantage really in Windows seeing as it has the hi-res graphics. For the rest there really isn't much difference. But try them out as has been said and decide for yourself. KQ5 actually has some alternate music tracks in the Windows version. I mean, they're all technically alternate, but the music compositions themselves change a little in the Windows version. But on the whole I still prefer the DOS versions.
Collector

Post by Collector »

neosmagus wrote:Thanks for the info! ;)

So the consensus is that, given a choice, the Windows version is the better one?
I wouldn't say that. Out side of KQ6, the only difference for some is, as MI said, some variations in the music. Even GK1 had the upscaled graphics in DOS, if you used the VESA driver. The Windows versions have usually been buggier than the DOS versions. In some of the later SCI games that used video files, the windows interpreter rendered them better, but these games are not yet supported by ScummVM. KQ6 and these later games are what I am most grateful that SCI is being incorporated into ScummVM.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

(Excluding KQ6)I prefer the DOS versions with the MT32 music (via the excellent MUNT emulator). I find the General MIDI windows soundtrack to be inferior.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

OmerMor wrote:(Excluding KQ6)I prefer the DOS versions with the MT32 music (via the excellent MUNT emulator).
Or, you know, via your actual MT32.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

I actually do own a MT32, but since MUNT is nearly 100% accurate these days, I don't bother connecting it anymore. All those wires are a nuance.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Okie, I'll bite. I have a real mt-32 and have just been using it. Have had it way back when KQ4 came out! But everyone keeps saying how amazing MUNT is. Can someone stear me to the right place where I can try it out? I'm really curious to see how it works
Collector

Post by Collector »

I have not updated the installer in a while, but you can install it and then grab the latest from the github and copy over the MT32EMU.DLL in the system32 folder.

http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2370
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

sergm (one of the authors) is maintaining updated downloads here: https://github.com/sergm/munt_devel/downloads
you'll find there the latest driver, a gui installer, and a munt-embedded-dosbox.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Thanks for your help! Got it up and working easily enough. It truly sounds almost 100% accurate to the real MT-32. I'm amazed how much progress has been made!
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

md5 wrote:The Windows CD versions of SQ4, KQ5, Jones and EcoQuest all feature alternative General MIDI tracks, that were specifically targeted for Windows.

The Windows CD version of KQ6 had upscaled graphics to 640x440, and some hires graphics for the interface - same as GK1
Police Quest 4 has also some hires graphics.
Collector

Post by Collector »

fischkopf wrote:
md5 wrote:The Windows CD versions of SQ4, KQ5, Jones and EcoQuest all feature alternative General MIDI tracks, that were specifically targeted for Windows.

Police Quest 4 has also some hires graphics.
Which the DOS version has, too, via the VESA driver.