Simulatinous Speech Subtitles in the DOS version of FPFP?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

GeorgeQGreg

Simulatinous Speech Subtitles in the DOS version of FPFP?

Post by GeorgeQGreg »

Hello. I have the DOS CD version of Freddy Pharkas and have been playing it in dosbox. I have read that the scripts in this game already allow simulatinous Speech and Subtitles and that is why ScummVM can have them. Is there a way to have this in the original DOS version? Some sort of command in the resource.cfg? Because I would very much like to play this with Speech and Subtitles. Thanks!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Why would you like to run the original version outside of ScummVM? Is there something that ScummVM does not offer compared to the original version?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

md5 wrote:Why would you like to run the original version outside of ScummVM? Is there something that ScummVM does not offer compared to the original version?
See, this is what comes from not getting someone to a DOS port of ScummVM like was previously discussed. :lol:
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

md5 wrote:Why would you like to run the original version outside of ScummVM? Is there something that ScummVM does not offer compared to the original version?
Obviously it does not offer all of the bugs. :P
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yes, a lot of CPU-timed animations in SCI1.1 games (all of them, actually) are way too fast in ScummVM. I've brought this up before but I haven't seen a change since. It's as if the game is being played on a Pentium machine (which is why I call them CPU-timed animations).

Like in SQ5, after the intro when the bridge simulator machine aborts with lights flashing, the movement downward, and the rats scattering immediately after. Or on SQ4 (CD version) when after the intro when the ship hovers in the air, shakes rapidly, and zooms off into the distance faster than the eye can see (the disk version, which is SCI1.0 doesn't have this speed issue). All are much too fast and are timed properly in DOSBox when lowering the CPU cycle settings. SCI1.0 games seem to be fine and don't have this problem. 1.1 games still have this issue, though.

I was pretty sure I filed a bug/feature report/request. If I didn't I'll do it.

Also, not to mention that you still can't deactivate digital sounds in favour of the Adlib alternatives. And you still can't select IBM PCjr for a music device for SCI1.0 games, it just deviates to PC Speaker. I could go on...but maybe I should just report them...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Yes, a lot of CPU-timed animations in SCI1.1 games (all of them, actually) are way too fast in ScummVM. I've brought this up before but I haven't seen a change since. It's as if the game is being played on a Pentium machine (which is why I call them CPU-timed animations).

Like in SQ5, after the intro when the bridge simulator machine aborts with lights flashing, the movement downward, and the rats scattering immediately after. Or on SQ4 (CD version) when after the intro when the ship hovers in the air, shakes rapidly, and zooms off into the distance faster than the eye can see (the disk version, which is SCI1.0 doesn't have this speed issue). All are much too fast and are timed properly in DOSBox when lowering the CPU cycle settings. SCI1.0 games seem to be fine and don't have this problem. 1.1 games still have this issue, though.

I was pretty sure I filed a bug/feature report/request. If I didn't I'll do it.

Also, not to mention that you still can't deactivate digital sounds in favour of the Adlib alternatives. And you still can't select IBM PCjr for a music device for SCI1.0 games, it just deviates to PC Speaker. I could go on...but maybe I should just report them...
Woah woah slow down :P

Please file bug reports on the timer issues. SCI1.1 handles timing in a different manner (there's no relevant bug report).

You can deactivate the digital sounds if you uncheck the "Mixed Adlib/MIDI mode" checkbox in Options->MIDI

As for PCjr... I've never tried it myself, but concerning that bug, again please file a bug report
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

dreammaster wrote:
See, this is what comes from not getting someone to a DOS port of ScummVM like was previously discussed. :lol:
Indeed... :lol:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:And you still can't select IBM PCjr for a music device for SCI1.0 games, it just deviates to PC Speaker.
Works fine here. What game are you trying?