TeenAgent crashing on all Android versions?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Haplo

TeenAgent crashing on all Android versions?

Post by Haplo »

I have tried many versions, including the official v1.3.0 and many nightly builds. On all of them TeenAgent crashes back to the home screen upon pressing the "Start" button. The same data files work fine with ScummVM under Windows.

Can someone else please give this a try too? Thanks.
Shawks

Post by Shawks »

I'm not sure if you were able to sort out this problem or not by now, but I had a similar issue and I figured out where I was going wrong. I'm writing this post as it may help if you still haven't sorted it out (or hopefully help others if they happen to see this post).

I basically had the same problem: I downloaded the game off GOG.com, installed it on PC, transferred the files to my android phone, installed SCUMMVM android, installed the Teenagent plugin from the marketplace.

SCUMM works fine with all other games on my android phone, and was able to detect Teen Agent when I did located it using "Add game" in the SCUMM menu.

And yet whenever I launched this particular game it just went to a black screen for a few seconds and then booted back to the phone start screen. Like you, the files worked fine on windows.

After searching around I found this site: http://bmaupin.wordpress.com/2012/02/29 ... n-android/ which gives a step by step guide to playing Teen Agent on android specifically (you may need to scroll down for the Teen Agent specific part).

It turns out there was one step I left out: I needed to also have the "teenagent.dat" file which needs to be downloaded separately. After downloading and putting the file in the same folder as the rest of the Teen Agent files, I removed Teen Agent from my SCUMM list and re-added it again. After that the game now starts up fine.

One final thing: In the link mentioned above, there is a link within it to download the "teenagent.dat" file, however, when I used this link from my android browser it would always download the file in .txt form as opposed to .dat and it wouldn't work. In the end I downloaded it from here http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... t?view=log and it worked fine. All I then had to do was move the file from the downloaded folder into the Teen Agent folder on my phone.

A summary for those who don't want to read the long winded post above: You may need to download the separate "teenagent.dat" file from somewhere to get the game to work. You can download it from the second link above.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, the .dat file is SEPARATE to the Teenagent SCUMMVM plugin. You need to download both!