Space Quest III MAC

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PsyCrow

Space Quest III MAC

Post by PsyCrow »

Does anyone have any screenshots of the Macintosh version of this game? I'm curios to see how it compares to the other versions.

Is there any progress to report on regarding the Macintosh version of Space Quest III and Hoyle I & II?
clone2727
Retired

Re: Space Quest III MAC

Post by clone2727 »

PsyCrow wrote:Does anyone have any screenshots of the Macintosh version of this game? I'm curios to see how it compares to the other versions.
I don't have any of it running on a real Macintosh and it doesn't look right in ScummVM yet.
PsyCrow wrote:Is there any progress to report on regarding the Macintosh version of Space Quest III and Hoyle I & II?
No. We still don't support the hi-res graphics so it looks quite weird.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Is the MAC version any different? I wouldn't imagine that they changed the graphics.

The Amiga, ST and PC version all look identical in terms of graphics and I would be surprised if they overhauled the MAC version.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

They upscaled the graphics to another resolution, AFAIK, so yes, the end result is pretty much the same, but internally the game scripts assume the upscaled resolution when drawing windows etc, which is why it looks wrong in ScummVM
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

md5 wrote:They upscaled the graphics to another resolution, AFAIK, so yes, the end result is pretty much the same, but internally the game scripts assume the upscaled resolution when drawing windows etc, which is why it looks wrong in ScummVM
No. There are hi-res graphics in there too which is why it looks wrong. It's not just the scripts assuming a resolution.
PsyCrow

Post by PsyCrow »

So is it a combination of upscaled and higher resolution images? If so, what elements are actually hires?
PsyCrow

Post by PsyCrow »

The copy of the MAC version I have comes on six 3.5 inch disks. (The DOS version comes on three 3.5 disks). Is the higher resolution content of the MAC version the reason for the additional disks?

Is there a way to copy files off the MAC disks without using a MAC?

I've still not been able to find any MAC specific screenshots and the ones on the back of the MAC box don't appear any different, but for those interested, here is a scan of the front of my poor condition box.

http://www.freow.net/sq_3_mac.jpg
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

PsyCrow wrote:So is it a combination of upscaled and higher resolution images? If so, what elements are actually hires?
Seems text and dialog boxes mostly. Haven't seen anything on the scale of Hoyle 1 (which has nearly everything in high-res).
PsyCrow wrote:The copy of the MAC version I have comes on six 3.5 inch disks. (The DOS version comes on three 3.5 disks). Is the higher resolution content of the MAC version the reason for the additional disks?
No idea.
PsyCrow wrote:Is there a way to copy files off the MAC disks without using a MAC?
HFVExplorer.
PsyCrow

Post by PsyCrow »

HFVExplorer seems to work great for newer Sierra games that came on the 1.4MB floppies. But Space Quest III comes on the 800KB disks (I think) so doesn't seem to work. Is a true MAC system the only alternative to getting info off the disks?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

PsyCrow wrote:HFVExplorer seems to work great for newer Sierra games that came on the 1.4MB floppies. But Space Quest III comes on the 800KB disks (I think) so doesn't seem to work. Is a true MAC system the only alternative to getting info off the disks?
Unfortunately, yes :(

Evil Apple decided to screw everyone by making drives only they had and then be one of the first companies to stop putting floppy drives in their computers.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

I was intrigued by the fact that these mac games featured hi-res graphics. So I set up the proper emulation (Basilisk II) and tried them out.
I took some screenshots and uploaded them to mobygames, but until they get approved, I uploaded to ImageShack as well, and here they are:

hoyle 1:

hoyle 2:

edit: the first pictures I uploaded were in a strange color pallete - caused by my Mini vMac emulator. I changed to Basilisk II, and the pallete is now normal.