SCI progress updates

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

Hey.

What are the chances that LB2 and KQ6 will have the speech + subs feature integrated into them in the next release?

If it's not planned for the next release, when do you think it will be ready?

Thanks!
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

nathanel.mori wrote:What are the chances that LB2 and KQ6 will have the speech + subs feature integrated into them in the next release?
Probably zero. Someone would have to actually work on this first.
nathanel.mori wrote:If it's not planned for the next release, when do you think it will be ready?
Again, someone would have to work on it first. So until that happens, there's really no answer to that question.
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

clone2727 wrote:Again, someone would have to work on it first. So until that happens, there's really no answer to that question.
Compared to the wonderful work you guys did on SQ4 and Freddy Pharkas - would it take longer in LB2 and KQ6?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

nathanel.mori wrote:
clone2727 wrote:Again, someone would have to work on it first. So until that happens, there's really no answer to that question.
Compared to the wonderful work you guys did on SQ4 and Freddy Pharkas - would it take longer in LB2 and KQ6?
Certainly yes. The game scripts that handle speech and subtitles in Freddy Pharkas already support simultaneous speech and subtitles, and the ones in SQ4 do as well (with some minor patches). The corresponding scripts in KQ6 and LB2 (which are almost the same, btw) have checks in many places, which will have to be patched to get this working properly. I have a WIP patch for this, but it crashes (I know why it does, it needs more work), so just be patient, please :)
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

I've been waiting six years for this (really!). I guess I can wait a little longer.
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

I just remembered another game - Police Quest 4!

If I'm not mistaken, it also has the text resources in the CD version. Will PQ4 also have the speech+text feature later on in ScummVM?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

nathanel.mori wrote:I just remembered another game - Police Quest 4!

If I'm not mistaken, it also has the text resources in the CD version. Will PQ4 also have the speech+text feature later on in ScummVM?
If it does have the text resources then yes, it might be possible. But it's still too early to say anything about PQ4
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

md5 wrote:
nathanel.mori wrote:I just remembered another game - Police Quest 4!

If it does have the text resources then yes, it might be possible. But it's still too early to say anything about PQ4
I have the German version of Police Quest 4 and there i have english Speech AND german Subtitles.
relapse808

Post by relapse808 »

Quest for Glory 4 pretty please with sugar on toP!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I'm not sure how long it's been working like this, but I just tried the first Gabriel Knight in the daily build and was rather pleased to see how well it worked :)

There were some text alignment errors during the dialogue screen, but so far it's the only thing that stood out for me.

Would I dare to hope it will be fully supported in the next version of ScummVM? :)

Anyway, well done everyone! 8)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Gabriel Knight is somewhat working, yes, but it's still a long way from being declared fully working/supported. There is a lot of code which is simply not done yet, so it's still in no shape to be released. It is and has been completable for a while though, so if you don't have issues with graphical glitches, feel free to play it :)
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I've been playing all of my old SCI games in ScummVM over the past couple of months, and I'm amazed at how much progress has been made. Keep up the good work! I'm very grateful.
robboten

Post by robboten »

I have actually played throught all of GK1 on the Android SDL port. Crasched several times but almost everything worked ok. The biggest problem was a slight offset when clicking in dialogs and the inventory was a mess. Otherwise good job!
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

How is SCI engine progressing? I haven't checked it in a while. Are there any new compatible games in svn?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

fischkopf wrote:How is SCI engine progressing?
No one's really working on it atm.
fischkopf wrote:Are there any new compatible games in svn?
No, there aren't any new compatible games in svn. There aren't any more in our current up-to-date git (which replaced svn a year ago) repo either :wink: