OSX Lion and Fullscreen

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Purduecoz

OSX Lion and Fullscreen

Post by Purduecoz »

Hi folks!

Using the latest OSX build and running on OS X Lion that just came out today. I wanted to check and see if I wasn't the only one experiencing a ScummVM freeze when trying to run it in fullscreen. Changed the preferences file to run in windowed mode and everything was OK, but I like my games bigger! :)

Thanks,
Purduecoz
clone2727
Retired

Re: OSX Lion and Fullscreen

Post by clone2727 »

Purduecoz wrote:Using the latest OSX build and running on OS X Lion that just came out today. I wanted to check and see if I wasn't the only one experiencing a ScummVM freeze when trying to run it in fullscreen. Changed the preferences file to run in windowed mode and everything was OK, but I like my games bigger! :)
If I had to take a guess this will be more of a SDL problem than a ScummVM problem. What happens when you go fullscreen in OpenGL mode?

EDIT: SDL seems to confirm that. We'll need to wait for an SDL bug fix, I assume. Or try switching to SDL 1.3. Could you file a bug report about this? Even though it's not our bug, it would be good to keep tabs on for when we have to update our SDL version.
Purduecoz

Post by Purduecoz »

Could you file a bug report about this? Even though it's not our bug, it would be good to keep tabs on for when we have to update our SDL version.
Absolutely. Bug report filed. Thank you for the link to the libSDL forums.

- Chris
Collector

Post by Collector »

This issue has surfaced for DOSBox,too. It was determined that SDL on Lion was the problem.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

clone2727 wrote:Or try switching to SDL 1.3.
Apart from the general portability madness a new library brings, switching ScummVM to SDL 1.3 comes with another problem:
SDL 1.3 drops CD-ROM support. Meaning, most of our direct CD audio code won't work anymore.

The reasoning for that move is pretty crappy too:
"Most games now use streaming MP3 or Ogg for their music, and Mac OS X 10.6 removed the APIs we were using".
Purduecoz

Post by Purduecoz »

DrMcCoy wrote: Apart from the general portability madness a new library brings, switching ScummVM to SDL 1.3 comes with another problem:
SDL 1.3 drops CD-ROM support. Meaning, most of our direct CD audio code won't work anymore.

The reasoning for that move is pretty crappy too:
"Most games now use streaming MP3 or Ogg for their music, and Mac OS X 10.6 removed the APIs we were using".
Please excuse anything I might say that would lead you to believe I know ANYTHING about modern software development - I'm a network engineer by trade. But as an interim solution, how feasible would it be to allow some kind of window resizing and scale games within there instead of it being full-screen or fixed window size? Unless there is already a way to resize that I'm just not aware of, which is most definitely a possibility!

Also, I wasn't even aware of ScummVM's ability to directly read CD audio! I thought you had to rip the tracks into MP3 and then name them appropriately, as I've always done with certain versions of Monkey Island under ScummVM.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Purduecoz wrote:Please excuse anything I might say that would lead you to believe I know ANYTHING about modern software development - I'm a network engineer by trade. But as an interim solution, how feasible would it be to allow some kind of window resizing and scale games within there instead of it being full-screen or fixed window size? Unless there is already a way to resize that I'm just not aware of, which is most definitely a possibility!
There is in OpenGL mode, but it doesn't work on Mac OS X. The little triangle in the corner somehow disappears. But the OpenGL mode isn't ready for everyday consumption yet anyway :wink:
ftwo

Post by ftwo »

Purduecoz wrote:Changed the preferences file to run in windowed mode and everything was OK
Sorry, what file do you have to edit?
Simply reinstalling ScummVM doesn't seem to fix the problem.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

ftwo wrote:
Purduecoz wrote:Changed the preferences file to run in windowed mode and everything was OK
Sorry, what file do you have to edit?
Simply reinstalling ScummVM doesn't seem to fix the problem.
You need to edit scummvm.ini which isn't changed upon reinstall.

On Windows Vista/7, it's generally in C:/Users/[UserDirectory]/AppData/Roaming/ScummVM. [UserDirectory] is whatever your username is. Alternatively, just search for it with the start menu, it should show up. Once you've found the file, just change the line which will probably read 'fullscreen=true' to 'fullscreen=false'.
ftwo

Post by ftwo »

Thanks, but unfortunately OSX Lion is not like Windows and has no .ini files ...
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

On Mac OS X the preference file is in /Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences and is called simply ScummVM Preferences, without any extension.
In Lion the Library folder is hidden by default, but you can reach it by choosing in Finder Go > Go To Folder and typing ~/Library/
ftwo

Post by ftwo »

Thank you very much, now it's working again. :)
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

I'm experimenting with Lion and I have just discovered that this SDLMAME build http://sdlmame.parodius.com/ is working fine in fullscreen. Maybe you can find something useful in his source code.
Also an old build of Mednafen 0.8.D.3 I did under Snow is still working in fullscreen (but a fresh new build under Lion and Xcode 4.1 acts erratically)
My coding knowledges stops at building via Macports (possibly with a nice GUI), so I can't go further in investigation.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

aculotarpa wrote:I'm experimenting with Lion and I have just discovered that this SDLMAME build http://sdlmame.parodius.com/ is working fine in fullscreen. Maybe you can find something useful in his source code.
Also an old build of Mednafen 0.8.D.3 I did under Snow is still working in fullscreen (but a fresh new build under Lion and Xcode 4.1 acts erratically)
My coding knowledges stops at building via Macports (possibly with a nice GUI), so I can't go further in investigation.
I think both are using OpenGL though. At least the mednafen homepage claims: "Mednafen is a portable, utilizing OpenGL and SDL, argument(command-line)-driven multi-system emulator with many advanced features." http://mednafen.sourceforge.net/
aculotarpa

Post by aculotarpa »

The fine folks of Exult Team just discovered (http://exult.sourceforge.net/forum/read ... 3&t=361883) in SDL mercurial is already a fix, in fact their new snapshot build doesn't crash anymore on Lion (and so does Pentagram).
I hope this can be useful.