Horror themed Point & Clicks

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Oddysee

Horror themed Point & Clicks

Post by Oddysee »

Well, recently I have been playing a few of the great point & click adventure games again. One of my other favourite genres of games is Suvival Horror. Therefore, tt would be nice if I could play a few horror themed point & clicks. The only ones that I know of at the moment are: Dark Seed, The 7th Guest (I think) and maybe the Windows version of the first Hugo game.

Can anyone tell me any others please?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

The 11th Hour.
Phantasmagoria.
Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle of Flesh.

None of those are supported by ScummVM, but all are DOS games so you should be able to get them to work with DosBOX.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I have no mouth and I must scream is supporter by ScummVM.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Waxworks
Elvira series
Personal Nightmare

all supported by ScummVM...and i know that Personal Nightmare would need some personal playthrough tester :-)
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I would add:
Short grey (Atari, Amiga) (may be only in french, I'm not sure)
Hokpins FBI (Windows, Linux)
Shadow of the Comet (DOS, PC98)
Prisoner of Ice (DOS, Mac, Windows)
Dylan Dog: Through the looking glass (DOS, Amiga)
Daughter of the serpents (DOS)
Hellboy (Windows, PSX)

And my favorite (though not point&click): Escape from hell
LunaVorax

Post by LunaVorax »

Sanitarium (Windows only iirc) is not yet supported by ScummVM, so keep it in mind for now.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

http://www.amnesiagame.com/#main

This game should be right up your street! It's a first-person, survival horror adventure game.

Then there's the Penumbra series by the same developers:

Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: The Black Plaque (this I thought was the best)
Penumbra: Requiem (this I thought was the weakest)

I didn't think these were anywhere near as good as Amnesia, but you should still check them out. :wink:
LunaVorax

Post by LunaVorax »

Tim20 wrote:Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: The Black Plaque
Penumbra: Requiem
Theses games a sure from the horror genre but I don't know if they can be considered as adventure only, besides they are absolutely not point and click but more of a fps style (and in 3D).
Maybe it's a bit out of the subject since Oddysee is apparently looking for point & click horror adventure games and not fps games.
Otherwise I would complete my list of horror games with Silent Hill (PSone).
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

True, they aren't adventure only, but I thought it seemed appropriate to list them as Survival Horror is one of Oddysee's favorite genres. For someone who enjoys other genres, outside adventure games, I think he/she'll appreciate a hybrid of sorts.

I mean, they're a mix of horror, survival horror, and adventure - exploring, puzzle solving, interacting with objects/environments with the mouse etc. :)
Theses games a sure from the horror genre but I don't know if they can be considered as adventure only, besides they are absolutely not point and click but more of a fps style
Well, Scratches and Barrow Hill are FPS style, and they seem to be classed as point n' click adventures. :wink:
Oddysee

Post by Oddysee »

Thank you very much for the great suggestions so far everyone. I am very grateful. :)
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Azrael's Tear and (a rpg but quite adventure like), The Legacy.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Since it hasn't been mentioned, Veil of Darkness is my personal favorite horror adventure game. It's a bit RPG-ish as it has combat, but it's probably more of an adventure game.

The only problem is I recall it being a bit of a pain to get to work properly in DosBOX.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Scratches was a perfect example, especially with the directors edition, where you get to visit the house years afterward. It gave you the same creepy feeling you get while crawling around in an old crawl space with spider webs, dust, animal carcuses, and hideous offspring. Only thing I didnt like was 1st person view. Atleast it was point n click.
Enclsoure for agi, even with it's 16 colors is scary. (free & works with Scummvm)
The Chyzos stories, (5 days, 6 days, etc) All of em are great and free. Trilby's notes in my favorite, but you have to play them all to get the whole story arc; even though it sort of shifts focus and all come together by the end.
Probably tons more out there, these just the ones that came to mind. Some of them are cheesy and predictable (Enclosure, especially) but love that feeling of fear while being chased or exploring scary areas.