Kyrandia PC98 games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Kyrandia PC98 games

Post by marzipan »

Recently picked these up and thought I'd give them a whirl. :) According to ScummVM it's expecting an "SJIS.FNT" file to exist for Kyrandia 1 but I'm not too sure how to come about one. Looking around it seems a tool exists to create one out of a specific Japanese TrueType font or two but no Windows version of this tool appears to exist. Anyone with a Windows box able to knock up a quick build somehow pretty please? :)

Oh well, at least Kyrandia 2 works off the bat... and in English to boot! And I must say, I absolutely adore the PC98 music for this game..... very reminiscent of the Sega Mega Drive. 8)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Kyrandia PC98 games

Post by LordHoto »

marzipan wrote:Recently picked these up and thought I'd give them a whirl. :) According to ScummVM it's expecting an "SJIS.FNT" file to exist for Kyrandia 1 but I'm not too sure how to come about one. Looking around it seems a tool exists to create one out of a specific Japanese TrueType font or two but no Windows version of this tool appears to exist. Anyone with a Windows box able to knock up a quick build somehow pretty please? :)
You just need one TTF with japanese glyphs included.

I never tried compiling the create_sjisfnt tool on Windows myself.
marzipan wrote:Oh well, at least Kyrandia 2 works off the bat... and in English to boot! And I must say, I absolutely adore the PC98 music for this game..... very reminiscent of the Sega Mega Drive. 8)
Yeah Kyrandia 2 PC98 has English language support unlike Kyrandia 1 PC98, thus you do not need the japanese font for it.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

By PC 98 are you referring to the original release of Kyrandia, the talkie version (i have both the talkie and the non talkie disks) or something else? i was just curious as the Kyrandia series is one of my all time favorites and I was just playing the start of Kyrandia I last night.
ICEknight

Post by ICEknight »

CrisGer wrote:By PC 98 are you referring to the original release of Kyrandia, the talkie version (i have both the talkie and the non talkie disks) or something else? i was just curious as the Kyrandia series is one of my all time favorites and I was just playing the start of Kyrandia I last night.
He's referring to the PC98.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Hey again, do you know if anyone's made an SJIS.FNT file yet or can compile the tool for Windows? :)
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

marzipan wrote:Hey again, do you know if anyone's made an SJIS.FNT file yet or can compile the tool for Windows? :)
The create_sjisfnt tool is included in the current Win32 ScummVM Tools Daily Snapshot.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Kirben wrote:
marzipan wrote:Hey again, do you know if anyone's made an SJIS.FNT file yet or can compile the tool for Windows? :)
The create_sjisfnt tool is included in the current Win32 ScummVM Tools Daily Snapshot.
Oh cool! 8) Did check the tools daily snapshot last night but it wasn't present then. Thanks for including it!

Works wonderfully too, though I did notice these little errors during the conversion process:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Could not render glyph: 00 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 01 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 02 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 03 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 04 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 05 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 06 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 07 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 08 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 09 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 0A 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 0B 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 0C 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 0D 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 0E 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 0F 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 10 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 11 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 12 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 13 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 14 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 15 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 16 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 17 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 18 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 19 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 1A 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 1B 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 1C 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 1D 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 1E 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 1F 00!
WARNING: Could not render glyph: 7F 00!
Is this anything to worry about? I was using the "sazanami-mincho.ttf" file included in "sazanami-20040629.tar.bz2" on this page.