CycloDS iEvo - 1st DSi mode Flash Kit

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

another world

CycloDS iEvo - 1st DSi mode Flash Kit

Post by another world »

Agent Q,
It is time again to bug you with another hypothetical question =P. What are the chances of ScummVM getting a port to the DSi side?

Team Cyclops has said that the RAM and faster CPU clock speeds are now available. They are also offering Flash Kits to any homebrew author who requests it.

I understand, as with the SCDS2, that this means a new investment, new hardware, and users would be forced to buy that one product. However, I have been told that a new DSi hack will be announced around Dec 25th. Also a new unnamed team is working on a second DSi mode Flash Kit. It seems like this might be the new thing IF other teams can either figure out the hack or buy the hack.

So much more would be possible in a DSi port. At some point one must consider to leave behind a project and develop for the next set of specs. I’m just curious if you would be willing to do that?

Cheers,
-Another World
severed
Got a warning

Post by severed »

i cant wait to see what this iEvo has to offer the homebrew scene =D
i would love to see an improved scumm for the DSi
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hey everyone,

As you've probably noticed, it's been roughly ten million years since I posted here.

Checking today for the first time, I see that DSi mode homebrew seems to be possible. Can anyone tell me if the CycloDS iEvolution allows access to the extra RAM using the current version of the DSi's firmware? And does anyone know if devkitpro/libnds support it too? (it appears to, from what I can see).

If it does, it might be possible to have those cards run The Dig/Full Throttle with a little effort (although my life is pretty busy at the mo and I'm not sure when I'd get the time to do it...)

Yep, I'm really out of the loop.

I've been writing this: http://www.fruitfrenzy.co.uk

Cheers,

- Neil
amaro999

Post by amaro999 »

Hello!

Running in DSi mode means that the CPU runs at 133MHz instead of the normal 66MHz. So the emulation runs at double speed.

There are two ways of accessing DSi mode. The first one is using the SUDOKU HACK (only 200 people downloaded the SUDOKU game on DSi Ware before it was removed from there by Nintendo). The other way is buying a CycloDS iEvo.

According to the DSx86 (a DOS emulator for the DS) project manager, it was very simple to convert it to DSi mode on his case (source: http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/ ):

"Thus, I downloaded the latest libnds version and recompiled DSx86 with it. No errors when building the software, and indeed the brand new DSx86 version 0.24 does run fine in DSi mode! The speed is about twice that of the "DSL mode""

Also according him:
"The longer term plans is to take advantage of the larger RAM in DSi mode (...)"

I just want to add something (off-topic):

There is a fan made patch for Monkey island 1 and 2 that exports the voices from the SE games (requires that you own them, but they cost only US$14.90 altogether), and creates patched versions of 1 and 2 with full voices. The only catch is to get it to work, it requires a patch to the ScummVM source. This patch (as far as I understand it) just takes a change from Indiana Jones:FoA and allows all Scumm games to use it.

If this could be included in the next build it would be AWESOME (till now it works only on Windows and Android versions)!

Below you will find links to the Forums on LucasForums and a direct link to the source code patch

Monkey Island 1 Fan Made Patch http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199288
Monkey Island 2 Fan Made Patch http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=205508
Source Code Patch http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php ... tcount=341
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

You mean this? LogicDeLuxe posts here as well.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9161
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Thanks for the information @amaro999, it's very useful. I'm going to mail the CycloDS people to see if I can blag a free one...

I would hope that games that fail now due to lack of RAM like The Dig, Full Throttle, Discworld, etc., would be possible to run on a DSi using this card. No promises, of course.

Also, it would also be useful to make a ScummVM build that can run all games from a single binary rather than having separate ones for each engine, as it does now.

As for the voices project for MI1:SE, I don't know much about how this is implemented but it sounds like a lot of work. I'll look into it though.
severed
Got a warning

Post by severed »

will the SupercardDS2 get looked at too? i dont know much about its "extra" processor, but the iEvo is still pretty new. 3DS is being reported as compatible with DS flashcarts, but as of now iEvo only runs in standard mode on the 3DS. So any support for Full throttle or the Dig on SupercardDS2 will probably reach more people (IMO) if its even possible
amaro999

Post by amaro999 »

AFAIK, Supercard TWO uses a MIPS processor, so the ScummVM DS port has to be rewritten from the scratch, since Nintendo DS uses an ARM processor. For the DSi mode to work the port will probably need just a fine tune. Much easier.

Moreover, there was a SUDOKU Hack that allowed DSi mode without even buying a flash card, and DSi mode is expected to be more freely available on the future. If a Supercard 2 port ever be made, anyone who wants to play on it will have to buy the flash card.
another world

Post by another world »

agentq: scummvmds fails to work on the evolution ds for as long as i can remember and the ievolution as of the most current firmware. i think they would offer you a free kit (or three) if you said you would help them to get scummvmds working and ported to dsi-mode.

if you are interested, gbatemp is running a homebrew bounty with more than $5,000 up for grabs. there is a specific ievo category.

here is the link with more information: http://gbatemp.net/t284145-homebrew-bounty-2011

if you think you will have something ready by the May 31st deadline, please let me know via PM. i am hunting for exclusive news to post to the front page of gbatemp in hopes of better promoting the homebrew bounty.

as for the specifics.. the ievo has access to the faster cpu speed regardless of the 'homebrew compatibility layer seting' which means all homebrew running in ds-mode or dsi-mode benefit from the faster cpu. when the compatibility layer is enabled access to the additional ram is blocked, in regards to homebrew. however, if the homebrew is complied with the latest libnds/devkitpro then the homebrew will have the required code to run in dsi-mode, and benefit from the faster cpu and ram.

if you have any problems getting an ievo sample, please let me know. i would be happy to email my cyclops contact on your behalf.

-another world
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

another world wrote:agentq: scummvmds fails to work on the evolution ds for as long as i can remember
-another world
Are you saying that ScummVM for Nintendo DS doesn't work on CycloDS Evolution?
If so I can confirm it works for me. It's the only flash card I've ever used for the DS.
another world

Post by another world »

hi red_beast,
what evo firmware are you using, the latest? it failed to work on the revison before that, as far as i can recall. it did not work on the ievo during review testing. i did submit a long bug report to the team so i assume that they are fixing/fixed most of the issues.

your information warrents a retesting on my end.

althought this is only one example, it appears users are still having issues with the recent official firmware.

http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11106

cheers,
-another world
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Hi Everyone,

the CycloDS people were very generous and sent me an iEvo which arrived in the post this morning!

When I tried ScummVM on it, you're right, it doesn't run. Haven't tried much to debug it.

I think it's unlikely that I'll be able to get something done for May 31st, but hopefully I can get it running somehow. Maybe I'll try and work with the iEvo team on that, I'm not sure why it wouldn't run on the device especially since it runs on every other homebrew device.

When it comes to the Supercard DS2, sorry, that's completely different to the iEvo, as it has a different processor as others have mentioned. DSi mode will surely be unlocked on the 3DS soon, I imagine, so it will be available to many people.

Does other homebrew work well on the iEvo?
another world

Post by another world »

to be honest the ievo homebrew support is hit or miss. many of the larger (well documented) projects failed to work during the initial review testing.

there are many problems when running ds-homebrew on the ievo and the compatibility layer appears to need a lot of work. i'm not sure if the team will address problems or if they will just expect developers to compile with the latest libnds/devkirarm. sadly, many older projects are dead and gone with no source code released for a recompile.

the following list is brief but might better answer your question: http://gbatemp.net/t279940-cyclods-ievolution-review#f1

-another world
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

-anotherworld
I went to the cyclopsds site for the latest firmware. When I saw that 2.2 was the latest and that I was still running 1.6 I thought maybe I owe you an apology.
However I installed 2.2 and then put the 1.2.1 ScummVM package on my micro SD card. I only tried build A and Fate of Atlantis but it's working fine.
Of course you could still be correct about firmware between 1.6 and 2.2. Maybe it's just been fixed.
davbrwn

Post by davbrwn »

Red_Breast wrote: Of course you could still be correct about firmware between 1.6 and 2.2. Maybe it's just been fixed.
yes, it is fixed
Last edited by davbrwn on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:53 am, edited 5 times in total.