"This arrow is ..quite annoying..."

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

"This arrow is ..quite annoying..."

Post by LordHoto »

These are amongst the last words of Timothy, one of your friends; But when the Dark Army is on the march, there is no time for mourning the dead. Time is essential in the race against the evil sorceress Scotia, so you had better continue your journey to save the realm of Gladstone.

The ScummVM Team is pleased to announce support for Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos. So grab your copy of the DOS Floppy, DOS CD or even the PC-98 version and start playing Lands of Lore in the latest daily build of ScummVM and help us with the testing, while enjoying this great game. A quick side note: Unlike other ScummVM supported adventure games, Lands of Lore is an RPG (Role Playing Game). We are supporting it as it uses the same engine (KYRA) as The Legend of Kyrandia series. Please do not ask us to support other RPGs!

Of course, all bugs should be reported to our bug tracker. However, please make sure you have got all the required datafiles before you report a bug. For further information, check out the bug submission guidelines.

Happy dungeon crawling!
Last edited by LordHoto on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

Ok, so I just grabbed my dos cd version, and copied all the files required (pak, tlk, adl, and the fdt file).

Using the dailybuild currently posted for win32 (ScummVM 1.3.0pre-79gafe1a77 - May 30th) it does not recognize the game.

The log file states:
The game in 'Z:\ScummVM\Lands of Lore - Throne of Chaos\' seems to be unknown.
Please, report the following data to the ScummVM team along with name
of the game you tried to add and its version/language/etc.:
{"VOC.PAK", 0, "eb398f09ba3321d872b6174a68a987d9", 2276340},

edit: I just noticed I had already ripped this game a while back and confirmed it was recognized by the svn version at that time.

This makes me think that the daily builds have the lol engine disabled.... And possibly several other engines. Ever since these new daily builds cropped up, it has really caused me issues. Between consoles disappearing, new engines not recognizing, and now previously recognized games not recognizing.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

At last! Congrats on getting this to a supported state.

I will try playing through it when I get some time.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

scoriae wrote:This makes me think that the daily builds have the lol engine disabled.... And possibly several other engines. Ever since these new daily builds cropped up, it has really caused me issues. Between consoles disappearing, new engines not recognizing, and now previously recognized games not recognizing.
In fact the daily build you grabbed is still a 1.3.0 testing build. See the version number.

You should've grabbed a "latest development build" (i.e. a 1.4.0git one) for testing Lands of Lore, since like before only those have all unstable/newly supported engines enabled. That is no different to the old daily builds though, except that there we only offered development builds in case we were not in a release testing and if we were in a release testing we only offered "stable" builds, which had new engines disabled.

The console issues should be fixed meanwhile actually.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

So Lands of Lore is not using the same engine as Eye of the Beholder 1-3 ? What made them to abandon their EOB engine, considering it was tailored made for RPGs?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Didn't the development team split from the publisher to create the Lands of Lore series? I'm not 100% sure as this is from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the ... eo_game%29
raina

Post by raina »

Excellent! Now, could this be reopened: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=418823
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well done guys :) A brilliant game
Darkmeteor

Post by Darkmeteor »

hello

the game is successfully working on my ipad with the dev build, but only the CD version, the floppy version was not recognized by scummVM

this is awesome, I was playing the game on dospad but it was lacking a touchpad mode, now the game is fully enjoyable
Les

Post by Les »

ezekiel000 wrote:Didn't the development team split from the publisher to create the Lands of Lore series? I'm not 100% sure as this is from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the ... eo_game%29
Well, the first two parts were done by Westwood, third was made by SSI, Westwood was working in that time already on Lands of Lore. :)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Oh right, when I read that I took it to mean that they created the Lands of Lore series after they split from SSI and there fore maybe SSI owned the EOB game engine so Westwood couldn't use it for Lands of Lore. But if they were already working on Lands of Lore that idea goes out the window.
Truus999

Post by Truus999 »

Yesssssssssssssssssssss.

Thank you very much!
arockstar

Post by arockstar »

when I apprehend that I took it to beggarly that they created the Lands of Lore alternation afterwards they breach from SSI and there ahead maybe SSI endemic the EOB bold engine so Westwood couldn't use it for Lands of Lore. But if they were already alive on Lands of Lore that abstraction goes out the window.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Darkmeteor wrote:the game is successfully working on my ipad with the dev build, but only the CD version, the floppy version was not recognized by scummVM
You should try to run it on a desktop version and check the terminal output on what it reports. It should report some text with hashes of some files. You can then provide the output along with your floppy version description (version, language etc.) on our bug tracker.
EowynCarter

Post by EowynCarter »

I've been running a version compiled with my own hands on my geeksphone zero.

Save for some annoyance because i screwed up when copying the files, the game works flawless so far.

Fights are a real challenge when using an android phone. :lol: