Support for Widescreen Monitors?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Langsuyar

Support for Widescreen Monitors?

Post by Langsuyar »

I have a widescreen monitor (1920x1200) and would like to play my games in fullscreen. But even with "Correct Aspect Ratio" the screen still gets stretched across the entire screen when I go to fullscreen. Is there a way to play ScummVM games with correct aspect ratio on widescreens displays? I haven't found info in the docs and on FAQs.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I assume you're under WIndows. If so, go to your display properties and disable stretching there.

Eugene
Langsuyar

Post by Langsuyar »

Thanks for the help! But color me slow-witted, I can't find the settings that you describe. I can find a "Graphics" tab in the settings with a bunch of options, but none of them refer to "Stretching". There's the "Aspect Ratio Correction" I mentioned in the first post, is that what you're referring to or am I missing something?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

You won't find your display properties in ScummVM. It's part of Windows, and the available options depend on your graphics driver.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. Please, specify your videocard and other parameters of your computer. I can't see it from here.

Eugene
Langsuyar

Post by Langsuyar »

And you shouldn't have to guess. I know that my video driver won't do any scaling, that's why there aren't any details. I was looking for a system-independent ingame resolution that would appropriately scale the games.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Taking a wild guess, the widescreen ratio of your monitor will always stretch the picture to some extent because the resolution isn't a standard VGA resolution (by this I mean 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200 etc.).

I guess the only way to stop this stretching is to play in a window with a custom 3x or 4x scaler or write a patch to handle non VGA resolutions. What happens if you change your resolution to 1600x1200? Does it stretch the image?
clem

Post by clem »

speaking of resolution, might I take this opportunity to lobby for that bug report I submitted...

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... p_id=37116
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

@Jimbob: Such a patch should be directed to SDL, though, not ScummVM

@clem: sure, you can do that, but personally, the more often somebody "reminds" me about a bug report, the more likely I am to feel annoyed and simply ignore it :-).
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

I am experiencing the same problem right now. I have the computer connected to a Samsung TV with 1360x768. When I start ScummVM, the screen switched either to 1024x768 (with aspect correction being on) or 800x600 (with aspect correction switched off). But I find no way to run ScummVM in fullscreen mode with 1360x768, so that the pixels will not be stretched.
Timar

Post by Timar »

Maybe that's not quite to the topic, but the last time I played the Broken Sword games on ScummVM I though to myself that if the menu bars on the top and the bottom of the screen would be made hidden and only pop up when the cursor is moved to the very end (just like the taskbar when it is hidden) of the screen the games could be played on widescreen perfectly.

Do you think it would make any sense to file such a feature request?
Flo

Post by Flo »

The same goes for most SCUMM games. It sounds like a great idea, but a pain to implement.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

The OpenGL backend (when it's done - it's currently unsupported and so not available in releases) allows any resolution with or without aspect ratio preservation.

After the 1.4.0 release, daily builds will go back to building the master branch and you'll be able to try it out then.
Flo

Post by Flo »

That's not what he meant. The idea is that, if you could cut off the areas of the screen that are reserved for the interface and inventory and overlay them only when needed, you'd end up with an image that is much closer to a widescreen aspect ratio.

E.g., hit the bottom edge of the screen and the interface pops up. Otherwise all you see is the actual game screen.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

Since that wouldn't be how the official game is supposed to be, it would have to be a fan hack. Similar to when someone intigrated speech into the original Monkey Island game. Then they incorporated it into a hacked version of ScummVM that isn't officially supported by the devs. So you can't get it here. My bet is that's how this would be treated. If someone wanted to do it, then they could try, but it would never be officially supported.