Need Help on getting a CD game to work

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DragonCrystal

Need Help on getting a CD game to work

Post by DragonCrystal »

Hello one and all. I just recently got Berenstain Bears Learning At Home Vol. 1 on CD in the mail recently cause I played it during my childhood and when I tried Running it through DOSBox, it kinda worked but there was no voice, then I tried ScummVM and no luck either cause it couldnt add the game in the directory so anyone please help me thanks
Last edited by DragonCrystal on Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Hi Dragoncrystal. I'm afraid that, as far as I know, the game you mentioned isn't one of the supported games in ScummVM. ScummVM isn't like DOSBox which is supposed to support all DOS games. Instead, it only supports 2D point and click adventure games which people offer to work on implementing. This implementation can take years as the original code of the game needs to be reverse engineered.

Also, I'm not sure what your link is to, but if it is to a copy of the game you should know that that is against forum rule #0.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help however. You could try VOGONS:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php?c=7

As they support DosBox problems.
DragonCrystal

Post by DragonCrystal »

Well ok ill give it a try and thanks i got rid of the link sorry about that. Um also what am i looking for? sound card? a download for it...what?
Last edited by DragonCrystal on Thu May 26, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Hang on! My apologies. It seems that the game may possibly supported (As of very recently) I am sorry if it is! :oops: I suggest you gather the latest daily build from the downloads section and give that a go! (Some Berenstein Bears games are supported) I can't see a specific mention of yours however.

As for what you would need for DosBox, I'm afraid I'm not sure. Maybe someone else on these forums could make a suggestion if it's not supported by ScummVM.
DragonCrystal

Post by DragonCrystal »

Oh ok *smiles* so what all do I need to download, Im not familiar with Scumm's way of handleing

and to those who can make a suggestion of what to do, please feel free to post it on here, all help is greatly appreciated
Collector

Post by Collector »

If trying DOSBox, be sure that you have mounted both a "C:" drive and a CD-ROM drive. If you still have trouble, check the official guides. There are various frontends that you may wish to try.
DragonCrystal

Post by DragonCrystal »

well i already know about how to mount and stuff like that, its just getting the voice to play but only the music plays, the same thing happend when i tried to play Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis on DOSBox and it wouldnt play the voice either I had to use ScummVM and make the setting to Macintosh to get the voice playing
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

I can't speak for Bernstein bears, but I had no prob getting Indy to work. I only set it up through ScummVM. Just copied all the files to the HD, then set it all up through the GUI. Didn't have any probs getting the voices to work. You don't necesarily need to copy ALL files, but I was to lazy to look up which ones ScummVM actually needed ;)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Ok, it seem that the Daily Builds section is almost empty for some reason at the moment. You could give the latest nightly build a shot though:

http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html

However, I suspect that any game that wasn't supported in the last proper version won't be supported in the latest nightly build.

Does anyone know what has happened to the daily builds on the the download page? :?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The builds on http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html *are* the official daily (or nightly) builds. What kind of build are you missing from that list?

Note that the builds there are currently made from the stable branch, which is what 1.3.0 (coming out any day now) is based on. We traditionally do this when preparing for a new release, in order to get some beta testing -- and in order to avoid getting bug reports on the development version, as that is not currently our primary focus. So, the stable builds available there *do support various new games compared to 1.2.x.

We soon will resume providing the 1.4.0git daily builds, which "supports" some extra games. But note that these games are only "supported" in the sense that you can partially play them, but not in the sense that we take bug reports for them or promise that they work).
DragonCrystal

Post by DragonCrystal »

Hmm I really have no idea what to do i mean my knowledge of DOSBox is kinda small, as to what to do im kinda confused, that one site for Dosbox problems has too many places to go, then the files here is kinda confusing too.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Remember that the mounting that you use to install the game must be the same as you use to play the game.
northclyst

Post by northclyst »

DOSBox settings can be pretty difficult to understand. Why not use a front end, such as DBGL (DOSBox Game Launcher) which makes life dead easy.
DragonCrystal

Post by DragonCrystal »

Hmm strange that even with that DBGL I still get the same results...the voices, the sounds and what not still dont play, just the background music
northclyst

Post by northclyst »

Au contraire - this is normal. For many DOS programs you have separate settings for Sound (speech, sound effects) and Music. If there is a setup program for "Learning at Home", include this in DBGL and run this first.

If you don't have a setup program, and there is no info in the manual, then, as this is a DOSBox issue, not ScummVM, I suggest that you post in the DOSBox forums.