Residual - emulator for grim fandango and monkey island 4!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

daaceking

Residual - emulator for grim fandango and monkey island 4!

Post by daaceking »

Hello

I came across an emulator called residual which emulates mi4 and grim f. Apparently it has been available for years the problem is, lack of devs. How come nobody is interested in helping the project out? I have never played Grim but I believe lots of people enjoyed the game. I definately enjoyed mi4, and if the emu was for symbian, then that would be brill. I have no programming skills but would anyone be interested in helping the project out?

Thanks

edit: website is http://residual.sourceforge.net/
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: Residual - emulator for grim fandango and monkey island

Post by LordHoto »

daaceking wrote:Hello

I came across an emulator called residual which emulates mi4 and grim f. Apparently it has been available for years the problem is, lack of devs. How come nobody is interested in helping the project out? I have never played Grim but I believe lots of people enjoyed the game. I definately enjoyed mi4, and if the emu was for symbian, then that would be brill. I have no programming skills but would anyone be interested in helping the project out?

Thanks

edit: website is http://residual.sourceforge.net/
Residual actually has been a sub-project of ScummVM in the past, but nowadays it is a standalone project. I think some ScummVM developers also contributed a bit to residual.
daaceking

Post by daaceking »

it does say it has a lot of scummvm code in so you could be right about developers working on that too.

why did they abandon it? too much work? not realistically possible?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

daaceking wrote:it does say it has a lot of scummvm code in so you could be right about developers working on that too.

why did they abandon it? too much work? not realistically possible?
It's not abandoned afaik, its just slow.
You can actually play the first bit of GF so all the basic stuff is in working condition.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

bobdevis wrote: It's not abandoned afaik, its just slow.
You can actually play the first bit of GF so all the basic stuff is in working condition.
Actually, there has been a boom of work done on it recently, and GF is playable until the late parts of Year 3. Hopefully it will be completable sometime soon.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Actually, according to the wiki, it's playable up until year 4 / Manny returns to Rubacava. With only three major glitches stopping it from being finishable.

Yay. This is the best year ever, go Residual
daaceking

Post by daaceking »

That's great but what about monkey island 4? For some reason, I can't run the game on my xp system. Also there's only the normal systems supported such as windows. I would like downloads for iPod, android and symbian.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Wow, someone actually read the Wiki between my edits to it. :shock:

Because, actually, I did another update to it just after you read it, to change it to say that "Manny returns to El Marrow (Year 4)" was the new end...

BUT, I was right now on my way over, to change it again. (The new text, is a surprise :D)

giucam really deserves credit for the work he's done on residual lately (and of course loads of credit to those that worked on it before too).

As for EMI: The current level of support is:
"Can be detected"

No plans for fixing it afaik, atleast until Grim Fandango works.
daaceking

Post by daaceking »

Lol, state is can be detected :)

What does afaik mean?

I read it was primarily designed for grim fandango, so it's pointless trying to runanything else. But can I atleast play it on symbian?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

daaceking wrote: What does afaik mean?
As far as I know, it means "as far as I know".
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

New Wikitext:

Grim should now be playable (with some glitches) to:

Credits-screen at the very end of the entire game.

Although a bit of reverification is still in progress.

Congratufrikkinlations! Oh happy day:D

edit; I guess the compatibility page on the Residual website needs updating then :)
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

daaceking wrote:I read it was primarily designed for grim fandango, so it's pointless trying to runanything else. But can I atleast play it on symbian?
It is designed for Grim, yes, however there is some overlap in the engine between Grim and MI4, they both use LUA, and their file formats are similar. HOWEVER, from what I read, MI4 uses quite a few functions that grim rarely uses quite a bit more, which means that the current implementation of them will be found rather incomplete when EMI tries to use them in different ways.

As aquadran and garrythefish states over on residual's forums, EMI might happen only when Grim is stable, as it otherwise will be quite a mess. (The only thing that should be easily accepted into the repos at this point I guess, would be MD5's of the missing versions of EMI, so that it can detect all of them :P )

Still, IMHO*, Grim is a much better game than EMI, but thats of course a matter of taste.

And, for Symbian, well I don't know, the backends were synced with ScummVM quite recently, so there might be some support, however, I don't know if anyone has even attempted to build for Symbian. You're welcome to try, is my best answer. :)

* AFAIK, IMHO stands for In My Humble Opinion.

EDIT: Yes, regression-testing remains to be done, and I do think that the daily-builds are a bit behind on all but two platforms (Debian and win32), the Wiki-text currently reflects the latest Git-commit. All puzzles have been tested at least once, although not on the same revision.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

That is great news! I had looked at the website a few days ago, but it seems that progress has been very rapid. Congrats to all the devs.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

Web pages speak louder than words: http://residual.sourceforge.net/
grim107

Post by grim107 »

Of course, I have to be the one asking if Residual will be ported to such and such system/console.

Soooo, without any further ado... For the love of God, make it compatible with the Dreamcast!

In all seriousness, though, it's great that the game is finally completable. Maybe someday, we'll see the development team grow to the likes of ScummVm's. Wouldn't that be exciting?