Crash issue?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

VinnieL

Crash issue?

Post by VinnieL »

Every time I try running a Sierra game (Eco Quest, Space Quest IV, Police Quest 3.. etc) I keep getting this pop up on the screen which immediately crashes the game..

Is there any way around this? -- I'm running ScummVM on Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP 3

KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

All SCI games work fine for me. Make sure you've installed the latest version of ScummVM, and that you've copied all of the files from your original disc/CD. You'll need all of the files except the .exe, .txt, and most of the .drv files.
VinnieL

Post by VinnieL »

Yeah I know.. I have the latest build release and have installed the game files as they are listed in the database section of the ScummVM site.

It only seems to be certain games which cause this error.. mostly any titles by Sierra (SCI games, mainly)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

VinnieL wrote: It only seems to be certain games which cause this error..
It will probably help if you list the games you found working and those you found not working.
VinnieL

Post by VinnieL »

Eco Quest, Eco Quest 2, King's Quest 5 and 6, Leisure Suit Larry 1 VGA, 5 & 6, Space Quest 1 VGA, 4 & 5, Police Quest 1 VGA & 3, Quest For Glory 1, 2 and 3, Laura Bow 2..

These are the games that bring the screen pop up right in the middle of playing them.. and when I type exit to close the pop up screen it crashes the game.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Which version of ScummVM are you using? Have you tried the latest daily build?
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/#daily

Can you provide a saved game of a place where this occurs? "Right in the middle" is a bit vague, I'm afraid :(

Could you check if you got any *.scr or *.hep files inside your ScummVM misc folder? If yes, remove them.

Can you provide a list of files of a problematic game? Have you got a PATCHES folder inside that game, by any chance?
VinnieL

Post by VinnieL »

Hey, md5

I do have the latest build of ScummVM - unfortunately I have to be vague on when the error occurs as it happens sporadically and not always at the same spot, therefore it is very hard to pinpoint an exact location in the game where the error occurs.

I do not have any *.scr or *.hep files in the misc folder, nor do I have any directories listed as PATCHES... believe me if I could provide a saved game where the error occurs I would gladly do so.. perfect example would be when I was playing Space Quest IV and would walk towards the left side of the screen at the beginning of the game..the pop up would appear and crash the game..

I would restart ScummVM, go back into the game and the pop up wouldn't appear in the same spot and would not appear again for about an hour or so.. :/
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

In that case, it sounds like some sort of memory corruption or memory leak. digitall and wjp have fixed a memory leak today. Try the next daily build, theoretically this problem should be gone now. I tried SQ4 and couldn't get it to crash. Hopefully, it's all sorted now :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

If you're still getting this error, please type "bt" (short for "backtrace") when you get this window, and please attach it as a screenshot. Hopefully, this will aid us in figuring out what the actual issue is.
VinnieL

Post by VinnieL »

Hey md5,

Have yet to get the error with the absolute latest build.. if I do get it again I'll do as you suggested.. cheers! and thanks for all your help :)
VinnieL

Post by VinnieL »

Just got the error again when playing Police Quest 1 VGA remake - I am posting the bt info