Bada port?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Simmabo

Post by Simmabo »

Awesome! If you need support, www.badanation.de is a very kind community with many very good developers, maybe you want to ask for help over there?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

Thanks for that, but I think it isn't (yet) necessary to do so, because actually I don't have much work left to get a first result. I think I would wait longer for a certain part of the project as I would need to do it myself...

There is only FileSystemFactory and events left to implement =)

Code correction will take less time than coding itself...
adfree

Post by adfree »

@ Kyro

Wenn Du Tester brauchst. :D

Thanx in advance.

Best Regards
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

Werds mir merken ;)

greetings
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

English, please
Simmabo

Post by Simmabo »

English:

adfree: If you need testers...

Kyro: Ok, I'll remember that ;)
DonStefano

Post by DonStefano »

Gehts voran? Für eine Umsetzung auf dem Wave würde ich einiges bezahlen! Damit bekommt man wirklich die genialsten Spiele aufs Wave...
Simmabo

Post by Simmabo »

DonStefano: "How's it going? I'd pay more than just a few bucks for a convertion to Wave! With ScummVM you can play the most awesome games on your Wave..."
DonStefano

Post by DonStefano »

Thank you very much for your translation
adfree

Post by adfree »

Any progress?

Best Regards
chrisws

Bada wave

Post by chrisws »

Hi there,

I'm the co-author of SmallBASIC and I also worked on the Frotz port to the Nokia N770/N800 (GFrotz).

I'd like to help get ScummVM onto Bada/Wave. If you have started work on this and need some help, please let me know.

Cheers,
Chris
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

NovaCoder told me about some problems that have to be solved to be successfull to this. There are several core functions used by scummvm that are missing in the bada libs for security reasons. These include at least:

extern int printf ( const char * format, ... );
extern int sprintf ( char * str, const char * format, ... );
extern int sscanf(const char *buffer, const char *format, ... );
extern char *strdup(const char *strSource);

it would be necessary to provide own implementations (for strdup & sscanf, printf as dummy) or use supported functions with similar functionality instead (snprintf instead of sprintf)

this would have to be discussed with the scummvm developers.
Also I have to check whether there are even more functions missing.

Greetings

EDIT:

I just discovered that portdefs.h thing, so implementing these functions no longer seem to be much of a problem and it won't be necessary to manipulate other code parts of scummvm =)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hi there,

this once more shows how much simpler life for porters becomes when they talk to the development team, instead of working alone and in isolation :). We could have clarified all these things within 5 minutes. :)

To get rid of any use of printf, and any use of the textconsole (which you don't have on your cellphone anyway), you can add this to the list of global defines:
DISABLE_TEXT_CONSOLE

This does not help with sprinf and sscanf, as these are really required. But there are many public implementations for these. In fact, our Symbian port contains a vsnprintf implementation in backends/platform/symbian/src/vsnprintf.h which you could just copy. And then, yeah, use your portdefs.h file to provide suitable #defines for other missing stuff.
Providing a strdup replacement is then trivial, too, but even that is already there in backends/platform/wince/missing/missing.cpp

If there are any other problems you run into, don't hesitate to ask here, on our mailing list or on our IRC channel.
Simmabo

Post by Simmabo »

Just asking but - still working on it? Do you already need testers? ;-)
chrisws

Sourceforge project

Post by chrisws »

I think the bada port needs a sourceforge project to help bring this to fruition.

A sourceforge project will help focus the effort and give people waiting for the port a sense that something is happening. The site project will allow code to be shared and reviewed by the scummvm team before being merged into the main scummvm repository.

Unless there are any objections I will create the bada-scummvm sourceforge project in the next day or so.

Cheers,
Chris