Quest for Glory 1 Vga Italian Translation

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

micartu

Quest for Glory 1 Vga Italian Translation

Post by micartu »

Hi! I'm one of the two people that translated this game in italian language.
i've tryed our translation with the new revision of your scummvm and i've noticed that even if this patch changes a lot of stuff and files it works. The problem is that we have modified some graphic files, like the character's statistics and for example the Inn sign in the entrance of town. Every time that i enter in one of this location/window where we modified some graphic i see corrupted graphic, problem that i hadn't with dosbox. We translated the game and modified .scr .hep and .tex and even .p56 and .v56 graphic files with Tradusci by Drigo (the other translator).
You can find it here if you want to get a look on it:

http://erolfi.wordpress.com/tradusci/

In the process we fixed even a glitch in the character's statistics window: when you open it by night or in the sunset yuo'll see some blue dirty stains everywhere. Drigo fixed it.
Our translation add font files and we have collected every .msg file in a single one called message.msg, we deleted the 29.msg 815.msg 95.msg from the root directory (because they are already presents inside message.msg), we've modified obviously message.map and we've added in the root some translated .scr .tex .hep .v56 .p56.

You can download the modified/added files here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=67A598WN

If you insert the files in the root directory you'll translate the game in italian language, then you must to remove from the root 29.msg 815.msg 95.msg (usually our patch distribuited like an executable remove them automatically, so this is not a real problem).

Maybe our translation is compatible even with scummvm thanks to the inner propriety of the sci engine. When you add some files in the root directory, the engine give him "priority" compared to the files archived inside resource.000.

The only problem is actually the modified graphic, can you please give to my files a check, and if it's possible add the italian translation to the scummvm automatic recognition? I'll be very happy to see our translation recognized by scummvm (we are members of iagtg and oldgamesitalia website and many of our translations are already recognized by scummvm).

Thank you for your attention.
micartu

Post by micartu »

Nothing after that the thread was readed by a lot of people? Come on... i know that this will not so difficult to resolve...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

micartu wrote:Nothing after that the thread was readed by a lot of people? Come on... i know that this will not so difficult to resolve...
If you know it's not so difficult to resolve why don't you contribute a patch then?

Apart:
[b]Forum Rules. READ BEFORE POST.[/b] wrote: 3a) Do not post bugreports here. See the FAQ answer on how to report bugs properly. The appropriate place for those is the Bug Tracker. Same goes for Feature Requests.
That way it SCI developers will have more chances to see this, even though we usually don't officially support fan translations.
micartu

Post by micartu »

If you know it's not so difficult to resolve why don't you contribute a patch then?
I think that i'll do it in that way. Usually i work to create tool to make translation, so i was thinking that someone more used than me to scummvm code could give a hand. Even because here there is nothing to really resolve, only i was hoping for an explanation about the reason the graphic that i've modifyied is bad displayed. Maybe the scummvm make a md5 check on graphic file? So i was searching even for info this could be a good start point. About contribution: i think that i've already given ocntribution, i provided files necessary to the implementation of Elvira 2 italian version to scummvm team.
That way it SCI developers will have more chances to see this, even though we usually don't officially support fan translations.
i've posted in forum because if someone could provide me some info i could fix for myself the problem.
I've seen that whit Elvira spanish trasnaltion there was no problem here in the forum to give support to the guy that was asking about translation support. (try to search elvira spanish inside the forum). But if it's not possible to implement my job in scummvm, no problem there is even a thing called: DOSBOX
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I had a look at your patch... some of the graphics files you have replaced seem to be broken. SV can't read them either, so it is a bug with tradusci.

Here's a rundown of the changed pictures:
100 (main menu) - works
300 (outside the inn) - broken
310 (outside the guild hall) - works
320 (outside dry goods) - works
904 (character screen) - broken

And a rundown of the changed views:
100 (main menu buttons) - broken (loop 4, cel 2, i.e. the "Continue Quest" button text)
341 (GUI stuff) - works
506 (character selection buttons) - works
802 (character selection graphics) - works
803 (enemy status window + HP bar) - works
902 (credits) - works
903 (credits 2) - works
904 (extra, Italian credits) - works
908 ("So you want to be a hero" flame) - works
912 ("So you want to be a hero" text) - works
995 (game menu buttons) - works
1001 (credits 3) - works

So, you got 2 broken pictures (300, 904) and 1 broken view (100) in your fan made patch. You can verify this with SV (SCI Viewer), which you can download here:
http://www.sierrahelp.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=2&t=456

I don't know if this is a bug with the translating software you used, or just broken images, but if you fix these three, then hopefully the problems will be gone
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

micartu wrote:
I think that i'll do it in that way. Usually i work to create tool to make translation, so i was thinking that someone more used than me to scummvm code could give a hand. Even because here there is nothing to really resolve, only i was hoping for an explanation about the reason the graphic that i've modifyied is bad displayed. Maybe the scummvm make a md5 check on graphic file? So i was searching even for info this could be a good start point. About contribution: i think that i've already given ocntribution, i provided files necessary to the implementation of Elvira 2 italian version to scummvm team.
I am not arguing about past contributions, but you made it sound like it's easy to fix and you have an idea what's wrong, thus it seemed strange that you push this thread with some comment about you know the fix will be easy.
micartu wrote:
i've posted in forum because if someone could provide me some info i could fix for myself the problem.
I've seen that whit Elvira spanish trasnaltion there was no problem here in the forum to give support to the guy that was asking about translation support. (try to search elvira spanish inside the forum). But if it's not possible to implement my job in scummvm, no problem there is even a thing called: DOSBOX
Yeah but not every ScummVM developer is actively reading the forum, also as I stated in my original post, the bug tracker is always a much better alternative to get people aware of problems. In the worst case your bug entry would've been reject as invalid or the like anyway, but you would've had an feedback about whether people took notice about it or not.
So my point was: On our bug tracker this wouldn't have been lost till now. Also people can comment on the tracker item too, so you could get info about it from there too.
micartu

Post by micartu »

Thank you md5 for your answer :)

that is really strange...
With dosbox no problem at all in this screen... mmmh

904 (character screen) - broken

maybe this one is "broken" because we correct a bug.
If you open the character screen in the night (usually in dos) some blue dirty pixel from the night corrupts the character screen window. So we fixed it, maybe this fixes are accepted in dosbox but received like broken graphics by scummvm for obvioulsy reason of engine. So now i know wa
hat to do, i must to remove this fixes and let the scumvm's coders fix it by themselves(if they want in future and obvioulsy if that bugs aren't already fixed).
Proposing translated graphic files without this fixes done by us i guess it will end the problems with scummvm.

I think that even the other graphic bugs must to depend from this fixes that we have done with Drigo to the engine. It will must to be easy to repair. I must only to search old version of this files already translated in my backup dvd and the job is done.

I've seen in the tracker request a guy that have asked to support drigo game translation of Gabriel Knight 1 in Italian.
Even here we've done several bug fixes and i guess that for the same reason than here, the translation won't work in scummvm.
This fixes are:

1) Solved Bugs:

a AVI movies are now displayed at the correct aspect ratio

b Detail level is now set to 3 by default. Therefore, a few
more game details are now shown (such as, the ambience
sound on the French Quarter map)

c Infamous game saving bug has been worked around (it was
an incompatibility with the Windows Multimedia Library)

d At the library, on Day 5, Grace was giving the Rada
book to Gabriel twice, under certain circumstances

e At the police station:
- Gabriel walking speed was set too fast when using the
photocopier machine, and in a few other cases
- Crash was gesticulating too fast during interrogation
- The beignet guy was arriving at speed of light
- There was not enough time to sneak into Mosely's office
while the agents were buying beignets
- The drummer on Day 5 was associated to the Gedde family
but the player wasn't aware of the connection in that
part of the game
- The thermostat was too hard to adjust

f At the lake, in the Malia cartoon, I had to disable
the nice image dissolving effect: it crashed the game

g At Cazaunoux's, if you leave too early, you would have
seen the old lady taking up a 100 meters run :D

h While using Grandfather's clock the cursor became an
hourglass too frequently when moved around the screen

i At the Gedde crypt, the flashlight was moving too fast

j Jackson Square:
- Crash coughed too frequently, making the
scene unplayable
- Using Rada drum book on the drummer crashed the game
(another bug of the Windows Multimedia Library)

k Jackson Square Overlook, binoculars were not moving
correctly in the Windows environment

l Voodoo ritual on day 6:
- Comic strips faded too much fast and were also skipped
- Malia has now a shadow on the ground, as correctly
implemented by the graphic artists (but the programmer
was too lazy to add it to the room script)

m Schloss Ritter:
- Gedde gesticulating on Gabriel's arrive was too fast
- Doors opened up too much fast for an old castle

n African Snake Mound:
- Narrator messages on Gabriel hearing strange sounds
were too much frequent
- Mummies were impossible to beat up! They were too fast,
and they were catching you from miles away! Now I've
made it easier than slicing bread
- Mummies were floating if you exited the first room too
early

o Ending Ritual, fire light trembling was too much fast

p Color fadings were too fast to be seen by human eye

q Mouth movements of spoking characters in interrogation
mode were too much fast, kind of like Benny Hill :D
unsolved bugs:

Code: Select all

2) Unsolved Minor Bugs:
   (probably related to the SCI engine itself)

r Room color fadings are too much fast

s When loading a saved game, the music volume is not
    restored correctly, you'll have to both change room
    or manually reset it from the setup panel

3) Unsolved Major Bugs:
   (don't worry, they show up very rarely)

t A fatal crash shows up sometimes during the crime scene
    cutscene at the lake when Mosely gets in the car
    (NOTE: this bug might occur on every Windows version!)
    (LAST RESORT: Should you ever be unable to get past
     this point, just press the Spacebar key before the
     crash occurs and skip the rest of the cutscene)

u Playing messages from the Recorder might crash the
    game if a saved game has been previuosly loaded
    (NOTE: this bug is only related to Windows XP!)

All this fixes obviously to make the game perfectly runable under windows xp without external program like scummvm or dosbox.

Now i'll go to fix the graphic bug of qfg1vga translation. Thank you again md5!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

We don't support Gabriel Knight yet, it uses a very different SCI engine from the previous games. And you're welcome :)
micartu

Post by micartu »

If i get in touch with Drigo i'll ask him info about sci32, he reversed enginered (sorry form my english usually i work from english to italian and not the opposite, this could seem similiar but it's very different) almost the 90% of the sci32 engine. His goal was to make it perfect wotking under windows xp.Maybe he could provide a lot of useful info.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

If you changed the engine itself, then it behaves differently from the original, and it does things that we don't, obviously ;)

The work needed on SCI32 is actually not on the resources themselves, but on the code level. From what I've seen, tradusci only handles resources. Have you also reversed the kernel functions themselves? (seems unlikely for a resource viewing program)