Custom Resolution scaling

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chyron8472

Custom Resolution scaling

Post by chyron8472 »

I'm sure that this question has probably been asked a million times before, but I'm at a loss to find a recent answer. Is there (and if not, will there soon be) a way to specify a custom resolution for ScummVM games?

My issue is this: I'm playing "KQ6 for Windows" thru ScummVM (which works great on my Win7 x64 without any glitches or problems, btw) but the Windows version's resolution is 640x480.

This effectively means that windowed 2x scaling leads to 1280x960, but my monitor's native resolution is 1440x900. Now, I would prefer a window size such as 1024x768, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this or even if it's currently possible.

Can you help me?

bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Have you tried the ScummVM Daily Snapshot from the downloads page?

I'm not current on the Windows version, but I think it already includes the new OpenGL scaler that allows you to drag the game window to any size.
chyron8472

Post by chyron8472 »

Wonderful. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Now, if only it could remember the resolution between sessions... :wink:

bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

It is a not-yet-official, super-secret, experimental feature ;)
Have patience....
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

Wow, this is great! Finally it allows me pixel perfect 6x scaling from 320x200 to 1920x1200... with or without aspect ratio correction!

Still some bugs though, like the cursor not scaling with the rest (and so being very slow) or - in window mode - the cursor coordinates being wrong when using an arbitary window size.

But still, that's already very nice!
lukeman3000
Got a warning

Post by lukeman3000 »

Hello, I have the same issue.

My monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080, and I would like to play windowed, but at a resolution relatively close to that of full screen, such as 1280x1024. That is a desirable resolution for me, but 3x just doesn't quite cut it.

I downloaded the most recent build from the snapshot section, and although I saw the 3 new openGL options, scummvm just crashes when I chose any one of them. When I open it back up, the graphics mode remains on what it was before (in this case, 3x).

Anyways, I don't care so much about being able to click and drag the window (would be cool), but I just want to set scummbm to run at a resolution of 1280x1084 or something similar. Can I do this? I know how to do this with dosbox and I assumed there would be a similar way, but I haven't found much after poking around a bit tonight.

Thanks,
Luke
chyron8472

Post by chyron8472 »

I have been using a previous daily build [1.3.0git (Mar 2 2011 22:29:15)] for some time now, as the daily builds give access to the OpenGL renderer which can rescale on the fly.

Then yesterday I decided to update to the newest daily build, and came to find out: where once the program's window would snap inward onto the nearest outer edge of the game screen, now the game screen merely centers on the program's window without snapping the edges to it. This means there is often a fair amount of black space on two edges of the window. Fortunately for me, I was able to recover a backup but that's really neither here nor there.

Case in point:

On a previous daily build, where once I resized this

to this

it would do this

On the newest daily build, now it does this instead
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

chyron8472 wrote:I have been using a previous daily build [1.3.0git (Mar 2 2011 22:29:15)] for some time now, as the daily builds give access to the OpenGL renderer which can rescale on the fly.

Then yesterday I decided to update to the newest daily build, and came to find out: where once the program's window would snap inward onto the nearest outer edge of the game screen, now the game screen merely centers on the program's window without snapping the edges to it. This means there is often a fair amount of black space on two edges of the window. Fortunately for me, I was able to recover a backup but that's really neither here nor there.
Yes that is intentional behavior now (when you use the conserve mode and/or aspect ratio correction), since otherwise resizing would cause problems with some window managers. It is the same as most video players behave anyway.
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Post by fuzzie »

chyron8472 wrote:This means there is often a fair amount of black space on two edges of the window.
Are you trying to report this as a bug, or just noting that it has changed..?

The change is deliberate because force-resizing the window to a different size than the user asked for can cause problems. File a bug if you'd like an option or for it to be platform-specific or something.
PsyCrow

Post by PsyCrow »

When using the OpenGL setting, if I want to make any game that has a native resolution of 320x200 and play it in a window at a resolution of 1280x800 or 1600x1000, (exactly 4x or 5x) how can I make ScummVM remember that setting for each game?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

PsyCrow wrote:When using the OpenGL setting, if I want to make any game that has a native resolution of 320x200 and play it in a window at a resolution of 1280x800 or 1600x1000, (exactly 4x or 5x) how can I make ScummVM remember that setting for each game?
Right now it only remembers it when you use fullscreen.
Pogo{

Post by Pogo{ »

Is there any way of getting this custom opengl scaling working in fullscreen? It works wonders in window mode and looks SO much better than having my lcd monitor upscale a non-native resolution. However i really dislike playing in a window as i feel it breaks immersion. How would i go about getting the image to scale to my native 1920*1080 in fullscreen mode?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Pogo{ wrote:Is there any way of getting this custom opengl scaling working in fullscreen? It works wonders in window mode and looks SO much better than having my lcd monitor upscale a non-native resolution. However i really dislike playing in a window as i feel it breaks immersion. How would i go about getting the image to scale to my native 1920*1080 in fullscreen mode?
Enable fullscreen mode. It should pick up your desktop resolution fine, if it doesn't press Ctrl+Alt+Return till it uses the mode you want it to use.
Pogo{

Post by Pogo{ »

LordHoto wrote: Enable fullscreen mode. It should pick up your desktop resolution fine, if it doesn't press Ctrl+Alt+Return till it uses the mode you want it to use.
For some strange reason i seem to be stuck in 640*480 in fullscreen, because all ctrl-alt-enter does it is display the text "Fullscreen mode 640*480" no matter how many times i press it. This happens with all 3 opengl modes. In window mode however i can drag the screen to any size without problems. My monitor is running at 120hz, dunno if that might have something to do with it?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Pogo{ wrote:
LordHoto wrote: Enable fullscreen mode. It should pick up your desktop resolution fine, if it doesn't press Ctrl+Alt+Return till it uses the mode you want it to use.
For some strange reason i seem to be stuck in 640*480 in fullscreen, because all ctrl-alt-enter does it is display the text "Fullscreen mode 640*480" no matter how many times i press it. This happens with all 3 opengl modes. In window mode however i can drag the screen to any size without problems. My monitor is running at 120hz, dunno if that might have something to do with it?
Just try the next nightly build. If that still fails I don't think there's much you can do about right now, the OpenGL backend is still WIP and also won't be in the next release.