Cine: new engine in SVN builds!?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

cappuchok

Cine: new engine in SVN builds!?

Post by cappuchok »

In a completely unexpected turn of events, it appears that the cinE engine that aims to run classics Future Wars and Operation Stealth is being integrated into the ScummVM project.

I've heard nothing about this even being in the works, so seeing it on the wiki was a nice surprise.

Go check it out at http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Cine
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

That was kept quiet :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Damn, you blew our cover! I guess we have to move all our development to a new ultra secret server, to avoid informants handing out hints to the public again *g*.
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Ah, the good ol' "shadow" server, how I miss thee :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

In fact the engine was on a shadow server for a while :wink:

Eugene
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I always thought of these games to be ideal candidates for ScummVM. Very nice efforts, Future Wars alreadys plays fine. Maybe some day the Amiga soundtrack could be supported because that sounded a lot better than the Adlib music. However, there are some great developments ahead with all the new games supported (gob2,kyra,feeble,lure,futurewars).
comp1

Post by comp1 »

Any chance these will be freewared? It appears this company, Delphine Software, has freewared games before (some of the flavors of Out of this World?) But they also appear to now be defunct.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Are you sure? Wasn't the ScummVM module for Out of this World removed from CVS a year or so back because they were re-releasing the game? So they're still trying to make an active profit out of their old games.
Malice

Post by Malice »

Future Wars and Operation Stealth currently just error out.
Looking for fw
Trying to start game 'Future Wars'
Assertion failed: sizeof(partBufferStruct) == 0x1E, file engines/cine/part.cpp,
line 38

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
clem

Post by clem »

there was some game removed because it was not an adventure game and hence out of scope; didn't that live on as a separate project?

also see http://cyxdown.free.fr/reminiscence/

I don't know about any freewared Delphine game though; Flashback is still copyrighted afaik.

clem
noize

Post by noize »

For both Future Wars and Operation Stealth there exist a game music CD-A with music from the game, with some acoustic instruments added aswell if I remember correctly.
They contain all the tracks played in the game.
Would be nice if these would be played instead of the adlib/mt-32/amiga tracks.
comp1

Post by comp1 »

Here's the link on Out of this World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Chahi Furthermore, it appears the guy who freewared the GB version of Out of this World (Eric Chahi) also worked on Future Wars. Perhaps he has the copyright currently?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

dreammaster wrote:Are you sure? Wasn't the ScummVM module for Out of this World removed from CVS a year or so back because they were re-releasing the game? So they're still trying to make an active profit out of their old games.
As I recall it, the reasoning was more along the lines that the game engine was actively maintained outside of ScummVM, and the game really being more action than adventure besides.

Unfortunately the raw project ended shortly afterwards. There was talk about re-releasing the game, but it looks like this was only for the GP32 and the Dreamcast, which I thought was quite disappointing.

The REminiscence project seems to live on, though.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

comp1 wrote:Here's the link on Out of this World: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Chahi Furthermore, it appears the guy who freewared the GB version of Out of this World (Eric Chahi) also worked on Future Wars. Perhaps he has the copyright currently?
According to this page, Eric Chahi indeed owns the copyright and trademarks related to Another World (OOTW).

In fact, as far as I can tell from information gleaned from the web, Delphine doesn't exist anymore and noone bought the company itself. All assets were sold (through liquidation) to pay off the company's creditors. This probably means that either A) the rights to the various games were scattered and some possibly ended up with major developers, or B) the individual developers who worked for Delphine bought the rights to the games they cared about.

Either way, I think it'd be a good idea for someone to try and get in touch with Eric Chahi to find out if he happens to own the rights to either of these two games recently added to ScummVM (FW and OS). If he doesn't, chances are pretty good he knows who does, or at least who bought them when Delphine went defunct.[/url]

If anyone feels like contacting him, idlethumbs.net had an email interview with him a while back, they might know his email address.
pelayo

Post by pelayo »

Eric Chahi has allowed distribution of Another World and Flashback with some ports of Reminiscence and Raw for Dreamcast, Gamepark GP32 and Game Boy Advance (the dreamcast and gp32 aren't a re-release but the interpreter glued to the datafiles, I can't speak of the GBA version because I've not seen it, perhaps it was commercial, but I don't think that).

So I think it's possible to talk with him and ask for a freeware release. But I don't think they fit in ScummVM.. at least I can't think of me using ScummVM with keyboard only :) Also there is a rewritten engine for the Heart of the Alien, Another World 2, that appeared only for SegaCD, but I think maybe Chahi hasn't the rights for that game.