Duke Nukem Forever coming May 3rd! New Trailer!

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Duke Nukem Forever coming May 3rd! New Trailer!

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've gotta say after waiting nigh 14 years I'm psyched for this!

The press release on Game Informer

The Trailer
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

I'm with you in that queue!

Promised myself some new kit when it was released so it's nearly time to decide what to buy :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Wow! It's been a lifetime waiting for this one!
MusicallyInspired

From the official facebook page of a french videos games store. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 9745381255

I'm loving the addition of the artbook there! Looks amazing. I'd totally be buying this version on release if that's what we get.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I lost a lot of interest in this after 3D Realms folded.
I've read somewhere that Gearbox will be using a lot of the material that 3D Realms had finished. Hopefully Miller and Broussard comment on Gearbox's product in relation to what they had in mind originally.
I've also lost interest in FPS shooters since around 2003 and so I stopped keeping up with the latest hardware needed for playing new games.
I'll give it a few months after release date and get it 2nd hand for my 360. Not my preferred method for playing shooters. Hopefully it's more than just shooting. Maybe some sort of dance mode where you can shake it with the strippers.
MusicallyInspired

It's not mostly 3DR's work, it's all of it. And it isn't so much that Randy bought the rights to DNF and Duke Nukem, it's that Miller and Broussard SOLD him the rights. Randy used to work at 3DR years ago and was there in the beginning stages of DNF's development. Also, on the 2001 DNF trailer there's a list of credits at the end and all but one of those people now work at Gearbox. The people who were laid off at 3DR formed Triptych games and continued working on the game in their houses until Gearbox came along and got behind the project. Gearbox isn't really doing anything on the game besides helping to polish it up and get it complete. Triptych Games is finishing it off and works in the same building that Gearbox is in.

Here's a good interview with Randy about the pacing of the game, similarities and differences to Duke3D, and the state of the devolving shooters of today. It sounds promising. Worth a watch.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/duke ... eo/6298430
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I was really hyped about this game after watching the E3 2001 trailer, but since then I've lost interest. I'm not even sure I will bother to get the game when it gotten cheap.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Pretty much don't play games any longer but I'm picking this up :) Can only hope that the Balls of Steel edition will make its way to the UK. Shame the bust doesn't look as good as the Bioshock Big Daddy..

Shame 3DR pissed around so much and ended up losing the IP.
MusicallyInspired

Well, it wasn't like they didn't have a choice. They chose to sell it to Gearbox.

And the BOSE will be available internationally eventually, according to Gearbox.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for the info about what happened exactly Musically. I'll have a look at the link as well.
I noticed the wikipedia entry for Rage has a release date of September 13th this year. Just 4 months later than DNF. Whatever happened to 'it's done when it's done'? Bethesda must be keeping a close eye on the iD guys!
MusicallyInspired

Today is May 3rd. The day of the original release date of DNF before it was postponed to June 14th (June 10th international). But it is indeed coming on the 14th. Randy Pitchford, president and CEO of Gearbox Software has confirmed that the game is complete (all bugs squashed) and going through the certification process. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 44/1/.html. The article was confirmed by a Gearbox employee on their forums. The system requirements have also finally been released and they are as follows:

Minimum Specifications
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.0 Ghz
  • Memory: 1 Gb
  • Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
  • Video Memory: 256 MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon HD 2600
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Recommended Specifications
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.6 Ghz
  • Memory: 2 Gb
  • Hard Drive: 10 Gb free
  • Video Memory: 512 MB
  • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS / ATI Radeon HD 3850
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
I expect the demo to be released to First Access Club members any time now. Also, here's a new and uncensored "Come Get Some" trailer released a few days ago (NSFW).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYygzP--ALA

The long wait is almost over.
MusicallyInspired

DNF is available for pre-order on Steam. 10% off.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/57900/
MusicallyInspired

MusicallyInspired

You can now pre-load DNF on your computer if you've pre-ordered it through Steam.
MusicallyInspired

It's out, btw.