Shivers 1

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wonderbob

Shivers 1

Post by wonderbob »

Hi I would like to know if there is any way to play the old sierra game shivers 1 not the 2nd game?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

It is an SCI game, so it will eventually be supported by ScummVM (though probably not for a while yet). Until then, it might be a bit tough. You could try installing and running it in compatibility mode. This page should help a bit.
wonderbob

Post by wonderbob »

KuroShiro wrote:It is an SCI game, so it will eventually be supported by ScummVM (though probably not for a while yet). Until then, it might be a bit tough. You could try installing and running it in compatibility mode. This page should help a bit.
I have tried that and it does not work. is there anyway to see what games are being converted next
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

You can find as much information as there is to be had on the wiki. Shivers is an SCI2.1 game, which is still in the early stages of development I believe. You would have to wait for a dev to give you a better estimate on exactly how far away it is from being supported, but based on the SCI team's previous work, probably anywhere from a few months to a year.
wonderbob

Post by wonderbob »

I hope that they make shivers compatble beaucse I have been look for 6 months to find a way to play it
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I have played it by installing Windows 3.1 inside of dosbox, and then installing it to that environment. There are some tricks involved, but it is possible. The most difficult part is most people don't own a copy of win 3.1 anymore.
wonderbob

Post by wonderbob »

I REALLY want to play shivers
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

then I suggest installing dosbox, procuring a copy of win 3.1, and going that route. worked for me.

If your on XP you could try this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilec ... _Setup.htm

This thread seems to have found it is possible to play without much screwing around:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/s ... hp?t=22435

And finally, you could always run a virtual machine and install win95 or 2in98 if you have one of those.

Lots of options buddy
wonderbob

Post by wonderbob »

Well lets see I'm on a windows 7 and I can't install a virtual machine beacuse I dont know where to get a copy of windows 97 or 95 or 3.1
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

wonderbob wrote:Well lets see I'm on a windows 7 and I can't install a virtual machine beacuse I dont know where to get a copy of windows 97 or 95 or 3.1
If you got Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate, you can get Virtual PC bundled with an image of Windows XP SP3 from Microsoft itself here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx
wonderbob

Post by wonderbob »

md5 wrote:
wonderbob wrote:Well lets see I'm on a windows 7 and I can't install a virtual machine beacuse I dont know where to get a copy of windows 97 or 95 or 3.1
If you got Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate, you can get Virtual PC bundled with an image of Windows XP SP3 from Microsoft itself here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx
I have windows basic so that wont work
wonderbob

Post by wonderbob »

as anyone heard anymore about when shivers will be compatable with scumm
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

wonderbob wrote:as anyone heard anymore about when shivers will be compatable with scumm
In the 7 days since you last asked, do you think everyone stopped their lives for you to work on Shivers support?

Forum Rule #11 - Have some patience.
wonderbob

Post by wonderbob »

clone2727 wrote:
wonderbob wrote:as anyone heard anymore about when shivers will be compatable with scumm
In the 7 days since you last asked, do you think everyone stopped their lives for you to work on Shivers support?

Forum Rule #11 - Have some patience.
I'm so sorry it's just I have been looking for 2 years for a way to play shivers. I wish my windows xp meichine never crashed beauce I can't play shivers on windows7
marticus

Post by marticus »

Well you could always use a VM (VMWare or VirtualPC) and install an older windows in that.