Dreamweb support

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kodmin

Dreamweb support

Post by Kodmin »

Was there ever/is there presently/will there ever be plans to support Dreamweb in SCUMMVM? I ask because I did search the forum and found no mention of the question already being asked.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It is based on an engine, completely different from any of supported ones, i.e. somebody should start from the scratch. I have not hear about any efforts being done in this direction.

Eugene
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

It seems like people hate to use the search function of the forums...

andrewwan1980 wrote:Will it be possible to support games like Discworld & Dreamweb? Since they are very similar games...
clem wrote:forum rule 1: search the forums!

(also, ask these kinds of questions in the Junkyard forum)
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=27910
agentq wrote: Your last question is answered in the main ScummVM FAQ, but briefly, adding games is a very complicated process which involves pretty much rewriting games from scratch, unless you have the source code from the original game. So unless you are willing to work on it yourself, it's unlikely to happen.
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4843
Anzati wrote: On the upside, SKY runs lovely :D ScummVM on my mobile is fantastic, I couldn't praise the work done to make this possible enough. Now all I need is for phones to reach a standard where SWORD1 and SWORD2 are playable :D Oh and I'd love to get Dreamweb running on my phone, but I doubt that will ever happen :lol:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=27910
Kodmin

Post by Kodmin »

Sev: Danke. Looks like if I want it done I'll have to do it my damn self. Hells...

Mad: I would like to point out that in none of the posts you linked was a legitimate answer given to my question, which is "Has it been done/is it being done/are there plans to do it", only answers like "Read the FAQ, use the search engine!"

Unhelpful answers, in other words.

But thanks for trying, we hope you'll play again next week.
timofonic

Post by timofonic »

Kodmin wrote:Sev: Danke. Looks like if I want it done I'll have to do it my damn self. Hells...

Mad: I would like to point out that in none of the posts you linked was a legitimate answer given to my question, which is "Has it been done/is it being done/are there plans to do it", only answers like "Read the FAQ, use the search engine!"

Unhelpful answers, in other words.

But thanks for trying, we hope you'll play again next week.
Maybe if you pay an interesting sum of money to some of the ScummVM Team developers, you can convince them (sev, 3000 EUR are OK?). Think of it, you will do a philanthropic thing and they will can dedicate a big intro in the about section with your nickname/realname in big letters ;)

And about your question for Dreamweb support... Well, I still think you didn't search enough but OK.
jhpeter

Post by jhpeter »

Dreamweb in scummvm would be wonderfull !
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Dreamweb was worked on a while ago, but not officially. This is what john_doe said in another thread about a year ago.
john_doe wrote:I've worked on reverse engineering both Dreamweb and Prisoner of Ice (amongst several other games :)). The Dreamweb RE is almost complete and I know a lot of stuff but for some reason I don't remember I didn't go on with reimplementing it, although I have some code.
Prisoner of Ice does share very little code with Shadow of the Comet, mainly the animation data has a similar extended format. Scripts, compression, archives etc. are different, though.
I for one would love to see support for Dreamweb in ScummVM, it's pretty much the only 2D adventure game I have that isn't already supported (or soon will be thanks to the progress of supporting SCI).

EDIT: and now I noticed this was a very old thread that got bumped up :P
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Look here for more detailed situation. There were some advancements.

Eugene
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Whoa, that's awesome of you to manage to get the source! :D

EDIT: Nice to see whoozle started to work on it :)
whoozle

Post by whoozle »

Please try WIP engine https://github.com/whoozle/scummvm-dreamweb . It should support both CD/floppy version.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Wow, it's playable already?

Any chances of seeing a pre-compiled Windows build? I'm not really able to compile it myself. I just downloaded the daily build to see if that would work with my CD version of the game, but it didn't.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The game is completable, however the engine won't be included yet till the code base is stabilized and some legal issues concerning its source are resolved
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Everything got resolved, the engine has been included, but it is not officially supported yet.

Eugene
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I love when legal issues are solved in 12 hours :D
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Awesome, I got the game to work in the latest daily build :)

Only played it for ~20 minutes so far, though. I will try it more later :)