ScummVM 1.2.1 for Lucid Lynx

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sunshinecorp

ScummVM 1.2.1 for Lucid Lynx

Post by sunshinecorp »

I can't seem to be able to upgrade my 1.2.0 to 1.2.1, I'm on Ubuntu 10.04. I'm aware that there's no specific package for Lucid (last one was for 1.2.0), but I've tried using both the Lenny and Meerkat .deb packages, to no avail. Is there a package for Lucid anywhere, or do I need to compile one from source? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Since I'm seriously slacking off and this took me a good 10 minutes to write, I noticed a post directly before mine that might have something to do with this?

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9769

Or maybe not. Forgive my ignorance. ;)
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I've just made a post in the thread that you link to. You might find it interesting although it doesn't deal with your problem.
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

I actually also use Lucid, so once they've fixed the problem with the deb packages I mentioned in my thread (the one you linked to) we can have another shot at installing either the Maverick or the Lenny package :)

I wish they'd also have packages for the latest LTS release of Ubuntu as some of us don't feel like doing an OS upgrade and facing new bugs/problems every six months.

No offense, I sure am happy that you provide us with packages for loads of different platforms, and so far the Maverick packages have worked fine. Of course we can compile it ourselves, but why the hassle when there are packages available? :)
sunshinecorp

Post by sunshinecorp »

Interesting. So I suppose the .deb packages are bugged, for now. I guess I should stop being lazy and try to compile it... Nah. Who am I kidding? :) Thanks for the replies!
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

It has now been fixed, and it seems to work fine in Lucid :)
sunshinecorp

Post by sunshinecorp »

Thanks for the heads-up. Just confirmed this, works great!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Ingo wrote:Of course we can compile it ourselves, but why the hassle when there are packages available? :)
Well personally I wouldn't call it hassle. I find that once you get your head around compiling you start compiling all your favourite programs. Like I said if you use Linux there usually comes a point when if you want to use an application you have to compile it yourself.
Quite often I find new software is released, so new that you can't find it yet in any repository like apt, and you can only get it from the software makers web site. I'll check the site and find a Windows binary, maybe a Mac binary, and source code if you use Linux.
If it wasn't for the fact that you have to wait about 10 minutes whilst the binary is built (which personally I don't mind) I'd say that there's no difference on Linux with downloading a binary or compiling your own. The first time (learning and setting up the process) takes longer but call it a learning experience and if you're new to Linux it helps with understanding the operating system.

Check what I do for a new build. I don't download the source (trunk) folder every time. I use software (PySVN Workbench) to update the source. It probably takes longer to actually make the connection. In all about half a minute to update.
1.) Update trunk folder. (click 'update' in PySVN)
2.) Open a terminal in the trunk folder.
3.) Type configure.
4.) Type make to start the build process.
5.) Type sudo make install.
6.) Type scummvm and start playing.

Lastly. If you can compile a program successfully then you know that it will run on your system.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I just tried out PySVN after you mentioned it and it seems great! It will save me the trouble of replacing my trunk folder a lot. :D Thanks for mentioning it!