Error in Ubuntu/Debian packages

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ingo

Error in Ubuntu/Debian packages

Post by Ingo »

I noticed that the deb files contain a file /usr/share/applications instead of /usr/share/applications/scummvm.desktop. This makes installation fail as it tries to replace the applications folder with the applications file.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Could you please submit a bugreport on our tracker?

Eugene
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't notice the bug tracker. I have now made a bug report:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=418820
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Many people on Linux compile their own builds. It really is the best way and the easiest platform for compiling I believe.

On the Residual forum I made a post about compiling that I edited to try to cover any obstacle that people without any knowledge of compiling might come across. A sort of for dummies guide.

Linux users usually come across an application that they need to compile themselves. So even if you don't use the guide now maybe you'd like to bookmark it. Not all Linux apps use the same system for compiling but the 'configure/make/make install' system seems to be the most common. Once you understand it you can usually pick up the other methods without many problems.

http://residual.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=57

I should add that if you use my tutorial you will be compiling the very latest version ('unstable') of ScummVM. If you particularly want the latest stable fork I've never done it myself but all the forks (branches) are in the ScummVM repository. Follow the guide and adjust it to get the fork. But 'unstable' is really a bad word to use to describe the latest builds. They are generally as stable as the 'stables' and certainly won't do any damage to your PC.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I too recommend compiling it yourself. I originally used Red_Breast's guide to compile Residual and have since chosen to do the same for ScummVM regularly. Different package files are needed for ScummVM though, you can follow the instructions until "./configure" which will tell you what you still need to install to get certain games running.

To enable other engines which are disabled by default you can enter things like:

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-sci32 --enable-mohawk --enable-sword25
You will need to do this before you compile every time as it is forgotten when you replace the trunk folder.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Graxer wrote:

./configure --enable-sci32 --enable-mohawk --enable-sword25

./configure --enable-all-engines
will enable all available engines.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I think I tried that once when I was learning how to compile ScummVM (about 6 months ago) and the compile failed. Since then I have done it manually, but I will try that again next time I compile, as it is much easier than entering 3 arguments.
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

The problem has been fixed. Thanks for all replies! :)