Dagger of Amon Ra - Talkie version - bugs

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BobbinT

Dagger of Amon Ra - Talkie version - bugs

Post by BobbinT »

I hope this topics hasn't been discussed yet...

Main problem: the game suffers alot of stuttering speech audio. The earliest example can be heard at intro cutscene on the speech between the 2 gentleman on the dock. The second line which the right gentleman speaks stutters badly.

And not long after starting the game, the speech will stutter all the way. Although restarting ScummVM help fixing this problem, it will start stuttering again after awhile. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Another thing: is there a way to enable both speech and text here? I know that the original only allow speech or text, but perhaps ScummVM can deliver this feat? I tried to force the option on the ScummVM menu and it still only produces speech without the text.

Kindly reply. Thx. :)
KuroShiro

Re: Dagger of Amon Ra - Talkie version - bugs

Post by KuroShiro »

BobbinT wrote:I hope this topics hasn't been discussed yet...

Main problem: the game suffers alot of stuttering speech audio. The earliest example can be heard at intro cutscene on the speech between the 2 gentleman on the dock. The second line which the right gentleman speaks stutters badly.

And not long after starting the game, the speech will stutter all the way. Although restarting ScummVM help fixing this problem, it will start stuttering again after awhile. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Well, if you've found a bug it's probably best to file a bug report. Though I've never experienced this myself. Maybe try changing your default audio driver?
Another thing: is there a way to enable both speech and text here? I know that the original only allow speech or text, but perhaps ScummVM can deliver this feat? I tried to force the option on the ScummVM menu and it still only produces speech without the text.

Kindly reply. Thx. :)
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9115&start=15

It's in progress.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Works OK for me. You did copy the RESOURCE.AUD file to the game's directory and not using it from your CD, didn't you?
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

ah... yes. I'll check that out.

Btw, the stuttering's getting worse. Only by couple of speeches and it began stuttering again. Unless I switch to text (or the diskette version), this is not really playable.

I'll try to post on the tracker.

edit:

@Collector: I "am" playing this on my HDD, since my laptop doesn't have built in cd/dvd drive and it would be a hassle each time relying on my external dvd drive. :lol:
Collector

Post by Collector »

You do see the RESOURCE.AUD file in the game's installed folder?
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

duh.... of course. That is the reason it's called cd talkie. although the floppy version do have that file, but it's way smaller.

You're not paying attention here: it's stuttering, not total void of sounds.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

No need to be rude. He's trying to help. How big is your RESOURCE.AUD file? Maybe it's corrupt or incomplete. Does it work in DOSBox?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

What about the spec of your laptop? Could it be that your laptop is too slow?
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

sorry about that. it's just kinda silly though...

the size are 355,217,113 bytes. Tried Dosbox and it seems playing well though.

I'm using ASUS UL30VT. I doubt that it's too slow since I can play current games like SF4, BioShock 2, Crysis, Dead Rising 2, etc.

edit:

just downloaded the latest svn (54898). Not only the stutters still there, this build also omits FluidSynths. Now I cannot use soundfonts anymore. Hmmmm.... :?
MusicallyInspired

How does it play if you use Adlib?
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

now that you mention it....

Tried that, and for some reason the stuttering stopped.
But when I got back using MT32 emulator for MIDI, it stutters again.

At least there a light here.
MusicallyInspired

Sounds like the problem lies in your soundfont and MT-32 emulation usage. So there is too much processing going on, at least for ScummVM to handle producing the digital sounds at the same time. Either way, there's nothing wrong with your copy of the game, anyway. The MT-32 emulation definitely is a memory hog. Don't know much about FluidSynth implementation, though.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Don't know much about FluidSynth implementation, though.
I've hardly used the FluidSynth driver much, which is ironic since I'm the one who added it to ScummVM, but from what I remember it used to work fairly well (there were cases where it would stutter a bit) on my old computer, and I must have bought that one about ten years ago because I remember we were still running Windows 98 at work. I think it was a 450 MHz Pentium III, or something like that.

FluidSynth needs a faster CPU than the AdLib emulator does, but I'm told it's nowhere near as demanding as the MT-32 emulator.
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

I tried LB2 with the latest revision of ScummVM, using the MT-32 emulator. Running a desktop with dual core 2.6 and 4GB RAM. Played just fine for me. Didn't experience any stuttering. Might have something to do with the limitations of your laptop. Thus why the Adlib didn't give you any problems.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

Not sure about that. Here's my specs:
Intel Core2duo SU7300,
4GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce G210M 512 MB.

This specs is even quite enough to play current gaming streams like Dead Rising 2 that has thousands of zombies appearing on one screen.

Btw, I think Fluidsynth also gives this problem too. Need to revert back to older svn that has this driver to confirm this since the current one omits this for some reason.