Temporary Solution for Inventory in Curse of Monkey Island

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hanspeterdill

Temporary Solution for Inventory in Curse of Monkey Island

Post by hanspeterdill »

Hello.

I found a way to open the inventory in Curse of Monkey Island on my Samsung Galaxy S.

I read in several forums that there is no way to open the inventory in ScummVM, because it has no button for richt-klick.

So here's how you can open the inventory:
  • 1. When you're in the game you've got to bring up the Google Search Menu by long pressing the "menu" button on your Galaxy (or other android phone?). Sometimes the scumm menu opens instead of the search, just try again.

2. If the search is open then hit the "back" button on the phone.

3. You notice that the search field disappears but the keyboard still remains there.

4. Now press "i" for inventory and the inventory opens.

5. Hit the "back" button one more time to close the keyboard and use the inventory!!! :D
It's easier than it sounds and should be working for nearly every android device that has not enough buttons like my galaxy s.
I hope I could help. Have fun playing...

I would like to know if it works on other android devices, too? Please report in here!
Lan

Post by Lan »

similar works on the desire by the way - longpress menu for the keyboard - then press i
das_weezul

Post by das_weezul »

Hi guys!

I'm still tweaking my TouchMod so I could include a way to make COMI playable on the Galaxy S. Just tell me what "gestures" do you need?

That's what I read until now:
- left tap-hold (touch-release-touch&hold) --> Verb menu?
- 'i' tp bring up inventory --> is there another way to do it (right-clicking or something?)

What I'm planning: I already have inplemented an alternative input scheme. You control the mouse pointer in a relative way(i.e. touchpad-style). you tap for a left click and tap-hold for a right click. As Bluddy suggested I'll also add regions in the corner of the screen, to bring up the menu, simulate left and right clicks etc.

In the (hopefully not to distant future) the mappings of the regions to keys will be programmable, but in the meantime I'm trying to make things easier for you by "hard coding" the most useful keys.

You can find more info in the TouchMod thread:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9644

And on the google-code project page:
http://code.google.com/p/scummvm-android-touchmod/

Cheers,
das_weezul
das_weezul

Post by das_weezul »

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know that I've hacked up a new version of the TouchMod (for the link, see previous post). Version 0.03 now supports MP3 and OGG. I've also added the aforementioned corner-clicks:

UPPER_LEFT=MENU
UPPER_RIGHT=i
LOWER_LEFT=left-click
LOWER_RIGHT=right-click

As I have no working version of COMI I can't test whether taping the upper-right corner brings up the inventory in COMI. Just let me know ;)

I also read somewhere on the internet that clicking the top edge of the screen should also bring up the inventory. If that works I could change the upper-right corner action so that it brings up the keyboard (I think that's more useful)

Cheers,
das_weezul
SorryGoFish

Post by SorryGoFish »

TouchMod is great. It's not quite right for COMI though, in my opinion.

For example, when you long click in the game you get a menu. This doesn't seem possible with TouchMod. Also, the track-pad is too insensitive for me. You have to stroke the screen a lot to move the cursor around. Even if it were more responsive, the nature of the game makes a simple touch more appealing to me than touch-pad based functionality.

The standard 1.2 port works fairly well, but bringing up the inventory is a hassle. The long click menu works nicely though.
das_weezul

Post by das_weezul »

SorryGoFish wrote:TouchMod is great. It's not quite right for COMI though, in my opinion.
Thanks for testing! I'm not that content myself, so I'll fix that version to make it more useful.
SorryGoFish wrote:Also, the track-pad is too insensitive for me.
That's true. I'm thinking about adding some kind of cursor-acceleration as proposed by Gus.
SorryGoFish wrote:Even if it were more responsive, the nature of the game makes a simple touch more appealing to me than touch-pad based functionality.
That's fine :D I think it's a matter of taste which input-style you prefer. I wanted to implement a touchpad-like input scheme because I couldn't "hover" over objects in the official version, which makes finding hot-spots very hard (at least for me).
Lan

Post by Lan »

are the corner clicks etc. toggable? I'm thinking that it might not be right for CoMI but might be good in other games... so if you can turn them on and off it'd be cool...

I haven't got around to using the TouchMod yet though :)
SorryGoFish

Post by SorryGoFish »

das_weezul wrote:I wanted to implement a touchpad-like input scheme because I couldn't "hover" over objects in the official version, which makes finding hot-spots very hard (at least for me).
This makes so much sense. I've just been playing around, and I totally get this motivation.
Lan

Post by Lan »

I tried the press and hit search on the HTC Desire and it works really well to get the inventory up on CoMI in the 1.2 scummvm
aleny2k

HTC One

Post by aleny2k »

hi guys, i hope i'm not too late in posting a solution for this problem. I recently had Curse of Monkey Island running on my HTC One. it's absolutely gorgeous and beautiful, but i had the same problem as you guys: unable to open the inventory. however, when i toy around with the game, i manage to discover the control to open the inventory. you have to hold your finger anywhere on the screen. while holding down, use another finger to tap anywhere on the screen and WA LA! the inventory will pop up. this is so much easier now.

and for anyone struggling to open up the 'coin menu' when you look at object of interest, you have to double tap the screen and on the second tap, hold down your finger. the coin will pop up. make sure your cursor is pointing at that object of interest though

I hope this will help everyone to have an enjoyable swashbuckling adventure on our androids! Cheers!
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Re: HTC One

Post by DrMcCoy »

aleny2k wrote:WA LA
Voilà.