FPS source ports and TCs

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Spin

FPS source ports and TCs

Post by Spin »

Thought some of you would play other games instead of adventures so here is a nice little list to get your frag started on these all time FPS classics. If you have something that isn't on the list, let me know, and i will add it.

Blood:
Transfusion TC
OpenBlud
Hypertension
ZBlood TC
Blood32
BloodTC

Blood 2:
Blood 2 Resurrection

Descent 1:
DXX-Rebirth
D2X-XL

Descent 2:
DXX-Rebirth
D2X-XL

Deus Ex:
Deus Ex Direct3D 10
UTGLR

Doom:
Risen 3D
Doomsday
Chocolate Doom
Doom Legacy
Delphi Doom
EDGE
GZDoom
Skulltag
VaVoom
ZDoom
CSDoom
Doom3D
Doom64 EX
Eternity
PrBoom
PrBoom Plus
ReMood
ScoreDoom
WinDoom
ZDeamon
ZDoomGL
ODAMEX

Duke Nukem 3D:
eDuke32
Duke3dw
JFDuke3D
Duke3d_w32
GlDuke3d
LDuke3d
OpenDuke

Heretic:
Doomsday
GZDoom
ZDoom
Eternity

HeXen 1:
Doomsday
GZDoom
ZDoom
U-HeXen

HeXen II:
Link to WhiteMagicRaven excellent thread with all Hexen II Source Ports.

Ken's Labyrinth:
LAB3D-SDL + Hires texture support
LAB3D/SDL
Ken's Labyrinth With Opengl-es 1.1

Marathon:
Aleph One

Marathon 2: Durandal:
Aleph One

Marathon Infinity:
Aleph One

QUAKE 1:
DarkPlaces
DirectQ
Qrack
Tenebrae
FitzQUAKE
FUHQUAKE
QUAKESPASM
ProQUAKE/Engine X
ZQUAKE
ezQUAKE
FTE QW
aRQ-Lite
JoeQUAKE
WinQuake
TomazQUAKE
Telejano
Tremor
QUAKE Forge
Q2K4

QUAKE 2:
Berserker QUAKE
QUAKE 2 XP
KM QUAKE 2
EGL
APRQ2
Roach QUAKE
R1Q2
Jim´s QUAKE 2 page
aRQ-Lite2
Q2:ICE

QUAKE 3:
IOQUAKE3
Q3:ICE
XreaL TC

Redneck Rampage:
eRampage

Wolfenstein: Return to Castle Wolfenstein:
IORTCW
XreaL

Rise of the Triad:
WinROTT & WinROTTGL
Rise of the Triad for Linux (and Win32, and OSX, and even DreamCast!)

Rune:
Rune Direct3D 10
UTGLR

Shadow Warrior:
SWP
JFSW

Star Wars: Dark Forces:
DarkXL

Strife:
Chocolate Strife
SvStrife
VaVoom
ZDoom

System Shock 1:
The System Shock Hack Project
Abysmal Engine

System Shock 2:
SS2 Rebirth
OpenDarkEngine

TIE Fighter:
Total Tie Fighter Conversion

Thief:
OpenDarkEngine

Unreal:
Unreal Direct3D 10
Old Unreal

Unreal Tournament:
UTGLR
Unreal Tournament Direct3D 10

Wolfenstein 3D:
WolfGL 3D
New Wolf
Wolfenstein 3D TC
WinWolf3D
Wolfenstein 3-D Redux
WolfGL
Wolf4SDL
Voxelstein 3D

Edit 1: Fixed links and added Voxelstein 3D
Edit 2: Really fixed all links and added Ken's Labyrinth
Edit 3: Moved Q2K4 to QUAKE.
Last edited by Spin on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Personality I can recommend Doomsday (Doom and more) and DarkPlaces (Q1).
Also, people who are interested in this may want to take a look at Warsaw. It's not a source port but free and OSS. Great for a quick death-match at the office.

Edit: It seems you messed up most links, there are are extra " characters and such.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

DarkXL

Accelerated Dark Forces Extended.
Great to see the blog is being updated regularly again. Last time I tried this mod my access to a Windows PC was easy although reading a blog comment it seems it's possible with WINE using the Windowed mode. Plans for Outlaws and another game was news to me.
I believe it's still in alpha stage. The project has a page on Code Plex but no source available now except for a CodeLogics file until it reaches beta when it will be open sourced from what I understand in the readme. So it's only pre-built Windows binaries if you want to try it. I believe lucius who started the project has reservations about open-source projects but will open-source it as he doesn't want it to die if he ever quits himself.
DarkXL Blog
Web site Out of date.
Spin

Post by Spin »

Thanks for the replies, i fixed the links. DarkXL is already in the list, and so are Doomsday and Darkplaces.

Also thanks for the link to War§ow, never heard of it before, but it looks like a lot of fun. I am definitely gonna try that one out.
luciusDXL

Post by luciusDXL »

Hey guys, thanks for putting DarkXL on the list. :)

The next build will likely be Beta, which means the game should be pretty much feature complete (at least as for the "vanilla" levels).

I will be releasing the source soon as well. Once it reaches Beta, I'll be working on Outlaws support and continuing the built-in level editor. I will also be porting the code to Mac OS X and Linux as well. Once it's ported, all the user levels work correctly and the editor is functional I'll start working towards a "release candidate." Though I suspect the project will continue for a long time past that. (Hopefully I'll celebrate 10 years of DarkXL and DaggerXL eventually)
Spin

Post by Spin »

You are very welcome luciusDXL, and thanks for taking the time in joining the forum and replying. I actually discovered DarkXL some months ago while i was looking for a source port for Dark Forces cause i was tired of playing it in low res in Dosbox. And i've been playing around with it ever since. It's great, can't wait for the next releases. Keep up the good work.

I see that Steam doesn't have Outlaws on sale unfortunately unlike Dark Forces, and neither does Lucas Arts. Is there any other online webshop that has it? Or should i resort to Ebay to get a copy?
luciusDXL

Post by luciusDXL »

Spin wrote:You are very welcome luciusDXL, and thanks for taking the time in joining the forum and replying. I actually discovered DarkXL some months ago while i was looking for a source port for Dark Forces cause i was tired of playing it in low res in Dosbox. And i've been playing around with it ever since. It's great, can't wait for the next releases. Keep up the good work.

I see that Steam doesn't have Outlaws on sale unfortunately unlike Dark Forces, and neither does Lucas Arts. Is there any other online webshop that has it? Or should i resort to Ebay to get a copy?
I honestly don't know the best way to get the game, since I already have working copies. I'll investigate more in the future. Part of the problem is that it's in an awkward stage where it has issues on Vista/Windows 7 but there's nothing like DosBox to run it in. It seems the game is harder to get running with each new version of Windows, a problem that DarkXL will address. That and the fact that the GPU rendering support is pretty bad and very glitchy, which might put off new players. These are some of the reasons that support is being added for DarkXL. :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Spin wrote: I see that Steam doesn't have Outlaws on sale unfortunately unlike Dark Forces, and neither does Lucas Arts. Is there any other online webshop that has it? Or should i resort to Ebay to get a copy?
I know it wasn't that long ago (one year? two?) that I saw it being sold in stores in Sweden. It was in a DVD case, so it was probably this "LucasArts Classic" release, depicted on MobyGames. I have no idea if it's still being sold, but at least that should make it more likely that it's fairly cheap on the second-hand market.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Great to hear from you on here Lucius.
I'd checked the blog a bit over summer and it seemed not much was happening. This thread reminded me about it and to take a look and see it's been active since September again.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

Ken's Labyrinth. Wrote by the guy who did the BUILD engine for Duke3d. All the game data is available for free , too.
Last Link has ports compiled for portables
http://jspenguin.org:81/software/lab3d_sdl/
http://www.icculus.org/LAB3D/
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/b ... ngl-es-11/

And the game's author's URL http://www.advsys.net/ken/klab.htm
Spin

Post by Spin »

Thanks lazylazyjoe, added Ken's Labyrinth to the list.
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

A couple of things I've noticed in the list:

Voxelstein is largely just a Wolfenstein-themed tech demo of Ken Silverman's Voxlap engine. It is not an engine for Wolf3d, nor a remake.

Q2K4 appears to be a Quake 1 engine, not a Quake 2 engine
Mim

Post by Mim »

An interesting story here, Dark Engine source code is out. I guess it will give a nice boost to OpenDarkEngine project. :D

And here is short version of that story:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/12 ... ne-source/
Last edited by Mim on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Post by Spin »

WNivek wrote:A couple of things I've noticed in the list:

Voxelstein is largely just a Wolfenstein-themed tech demo of Ken Silverman's Voxlap engine. It is not an engine for Wolf3d, nor a remake.

Q2K4 appears to be a Quake 1 engine, not a Quake 2 engine
Thanks for spotting that, moved Q2K4 to the correct game.

Anyway, a lot of them are also TCs; Total Conversions (see thread title). And not source ports. I added them to the list since they are trying to remake the original game, or sometimes improve on the original by making something new (which makes them technically not a TC but who cares :P ). Some of them are really good projects so thats why i added them, interesting to keep track of like Voxelstein 3D even though it's not like the original.
WNivek

Post by WNivek »

Spin wrote:Anyway, a lot of them are also TCs; Total Conversions (see thread title). And not source ports.
I know - don't think titles like ZBlood (a Blood TC for ZDoom) slipped past me unaware.
I added them to the list since they are trying to remake the original game, or sometimes improve on the original by making something new (which makes them technically not a TC but who cares :P ).
<mode=pedant>Actually it would still be a TC - TC just means you've Totally Converted it away from the base game, not necessarily that you've made it exactly like another game.</mode>

Anyway, I don't think Voxelstein qualifies as a TC, since it's not a mod which runs on top of an existing game (as ZBlood runs on Doom on ZDoom) but rather a new, self-contained game.
Some of them are really good projects so thats why i added them, interesting to keep track of like Voxelstein 3D even though it's not like the original.
'not like the original' is a gross understatement, but I suppose it's nice to see a Voxlap demo with some actual gameplay behind it.

On a slightly more productive note, It might be a good idea to list, along with the links, whether each one is
- a source-port/recreated engine (AFAIK, DarkXL isn't a 'source-port' as the Dark Forces source was never released)
- a TC (and what game/engine it runs on)
- or something else (like Voxelstein - a self-contained game)