Translate ScummVM in other languages

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

saulob wrote:Well, I need some help. The 'original' PO was updated with more text right? How can I add the 'new' text on the already translated PO that I have?

Or I should start again? I don't want to miss the 370 strings I already translated ;)
Get the pt_BR.po file I committed to our repository (e.g. from http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... /trunk/po/). It contains all the strings you have already translated and the new untranslated ones.[/url]
shurlogg

Post by shurlogg »

BeleG wrote:Sierra games came dithered, so dithering is not the real ScummVM feature, there's nothing to "disable". I believe it would be more correct to express it like "Enable EGA undithering", as undithering is the authentic ScummVM feature, which you can enable or leave disabled (if it's going to be disabled by default).
From the UI design point of view, there is another reason why no setting should be called "Disable ..." - the setting is represented by a checkbox, which can either be checked (enabled) or unchecked (disabled) - the enabled state of the checkbox representing the disabled state of some functionality would simply be confusing and bad UI design.

I would suggest to simply call the setting "Undithering". I'd leave the word "EGA" out too because that is too focused on DOS games - who knows if there is going to be undithering for games from other systems (or even undithering for VGA games) in the future as well, and if there is, there should probably not be a second, independent setting for it.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

shurlogg wrote: From the UI design point of view, there is another reason why no setting should be called "Disable ..." - the setting is represented by a checkbox, which can either be checked (enabled) or unchecked (disabled) - the enabled state of the checkbox representing the disabled state of some functionality would simply be confusing and bad UI design.
There are more ways you can go with this.

You could claim that the default state should always be the disabled/unchecked one so that the user knows that everything that is enabled is done so by himself. If feature x is enabled by default then the option should be checked to disable it.

You could claim that options should be formulated such that the wording is the shortest and/or best comprehensible. Let's say you have a game where you can toggle sound from different sources on and off (music, effects, speech, etc..). A global sound toggle option should be called "Disable All Sound" or "Mute All" and not "Allow Sound".
Flo

Post by Flo »

It's a matter of consistency. If you have a list of features that you can enable and disable with a checkbox, you shouldn't reverse the meaning of a "checked" box halfway through.
saulob

Post by saulob »

criezy thanks. Got the PO file, I'm working on it right now.

I have one small question, it's about the Poedit colors, sorry but I was unable to find anything on the oficial page or google.

Well, check the image:

The colors, blue it's for untranslated strings, black for already translated, but what about this brown/yellow one?

It's the 'fuzzy' strings right? Should I edit it again? I'm seeing that some strings changed. Should I updated it?

Thanks. It's getting perfect :)
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

saulob wrote:what about this brown/yellow one?

It's the 'fuzzy' strings right? Should I edit it again? I'm seeing that some strings changed. Should I updated it?
Yes it's the fuzzy strings. Usually they are new strings for which there was already a similar string in the po file from which it borrowed the translation. You will want to check all of these (most of the time I found the proposed translation is wrong) and either fix the translation or remove the fuzzy flag.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yeah, enabling a "Disable" feature does sound odd. I've renamed the option to "Enable EGA undithering" (this only makes sense for EGA).
saulob

Post by saulob »

md5, nice update. thanks. but this will need another PO file? :)

I'm working on the late one from criezy. Is it already updated online so I can download the new one?

Thanks.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Possibly, yeah, sorry :( Unless fuzzy matching handles this

I didn't update the checkbox name, so that the theme version remains the same, I'm unsure if I should update that as well
saulob

Post by saulob »

criezy, it's updated (2010-12-05). please check everything.

md5, no problem, hope that there's nothing missing.

Thank you guys

Btw, does the translations works on ports? Like the PSP port, DS port, iPhone Port.

Does the ScummvM ports have translations on it?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

saulob wrote:Btw, does the translations works on ports? Like the PSP port, DS port, iPhone Port.

Does the ScummvM ports have translations on it?
That depends on whether the port enables the feature or not. I guess the DS port won't do it, since it's always struggeling with memory usage anyway. With the other ones there might be a better chance.
saulob

Post by saulob »

thanks for the info LordHoto.

Let's wait for the official release and see if the translations are applied.

criezy, saw your update at the tracker, something is wrong, I think you got the wrong file. Please check it out.

I update there too, dunno if you get info on that.

Thanks
saulob

Post by saulob »

criezy, just uploaded the v3, I created another one thread, named it v3, this one have all 511 strings. You can close the v2.

It's all ok, the only thing left it's to test on ScummVM itself, when the SVN is updated I will check it out and if anything goes wrong post a update on the v3.

saulob

Post by saulob »

criezy, just saw the last update. Our translation (Brazilian) is in.

But... there are some problems. Checking the final translation with the last svn version I downloaded (1.3.0svn54095 , Dec 14 2010 17:54:05), some texts are different...

I already identify a couple of them

Options menu.

- Audio tab
- Volume tab

I'm at work right now, but when I arrive at home I will take some prints and show to you. I will check everything, comparing the versions.

criezy, do you know why that happened?

Thanks.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

saulob wrote:criezy, just saw the last update. Our translation (Brazilian) is in.

But... there are some problems. Checking the final translation with the last svn version I downloaded (1.3.0svn54095 , Dec 14 2010 17:54:05), some texts are different...
[...]
criezy, do you know why that happened?
I probably forgot to merge some of your updates into the translation that went into version 1.2.1. This version was built using a different branch of our code (and a different set of strings to translate). The translation used there is probably some of your earlier submission to which I forgot to apply the following updates you made. Sorry about that. :oops: