The DIG -> CD ROM Machintosh

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Lordc

The DIG -> CD ROM Machintosh

Post by Lordc »

Hello,

I have a small problem with the DIG on Machintosh. I bough the CD-ROM in order to use it with Scumm VM on MAC OSX. My problem is that I can't find the data files on the CD-ROM. Therefore scumm vm does not recognise my game and I can't play with it.

I looked in all the folders but I never found them.

Is there any hyden folders or any stuff like that ?

Thank you to help me.

Lordc
Nagra

Maybe one of these procedures

Post by Nagra »

Lordc

Post by Lordc »

Thank you for your sugestion but it is not exactly my problem. In fact I can access to the content of the CD and I can see the applications icon. But I can't find the data files that are necessary to use scumm VM.

The game run with classic but has a lots of display bugs then I cannot play with it properly. So I'm obliged to use scumm VM. But to use scumm VM I need the data files to emulate the game. I looked in all the folders but there is nothing.

This can be a copy protection but I don't know.

Regards,

Lordc
HelpUsPlay

Post by HelpUsPlay »

You may find it easier to find the files using Terminal (Applications/Utilities) and basic commands.

ls /Volumes
the above will list names of all mounted disks

cd /Volumes/"name of CD you want to try"
navigate to the CD you want to check

ls
to list all folders/files in that directory

cd "folder name"
navigate to the folder you want to check

etc...

When you find the files you want, you can use "ditto -rsrc" to copy the files - ditto works just like cp (copy) but it preserves the resource fork on the files

man ditto
the above will give you a help page on ditto

You can use the PC files OR the Mac files with scummVM if you have both on the CD

If you use the PC files, use "cp" to copy them instead of ditto
Lordc

Post by Lordc »

Thank you for your help I will try this way as soon as my Ibook will be back from the customer service... (the mother board is dead yesterday).

Regards,

Lordc
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

I can attest that it does indeed work. I just obtained a copy of Indy4, DotT, and Sam & Max - all Mac versions. I had exactly the same problem with those files being "hidden." Thankfully, I came upon this thread. I've copied the files from all the games and they work just fine. :D

One thing you need to be mindful of is that the copies of those files will also be invisible. ScummVM will automatically recognize them, but you won't see them in a file list. Therefore, I recommend you create a folder in which to copy those files before you do anything else. Makes it easy to keep track of them that way, and you'll be certain they'll be completely removed if you ever choose to delete that folder.

Another thing. I had to play around a bit to figure out exactly how to use the commands. I hardly ever use the terminal so I'm not that knowledgable.

Keep in mind that when you try to change to the cd directory via "cd /volumes/(CD name)" any words separated by a space will have to be indicated with a "\" and a space. So if the cd is "The Dig" it should be "cd /volumes/The\ Dig/". Figured that one out by dragging CD icon into my terminal.

Once you're in there copy it by "ditto -rsrc (filename) (directory where you want to copy)". Say you have a "TheDig" folder on your desktop. You would then need to write the directory path as "~/Desktop/TheDig/". As for the "The Dig Data" file it should also be treated like the cd volume, i.e. "The\ Dig\ Data".

That should be pretty much everything you need to know. I only went over that again since while HelpUsPlay's instrunctions were helpful they were also a bit vague.
HelpUsPlay

Post by HelpUsPlay »

Regarding naming the cd, my instructions work as is. With OS 10.2.8 both of these commands work as desired:

cd /Volumes/"The Dig"
cd "/Volumes/The Dig"

I do not need to use \ to replace spaces

Remember the command line is cASe SeNSitivE so /volumes will not work, etc.
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

That's odd. I tried that, but my terminal didn't accept it. *shrugs* Ah well. At least now he'll know what to do if your recommendation doesn't work. :wink:
HelpUsPlay

Post by HelpUsPlay »

Which OS are you using?
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

I would figure the terminal would be the same in all versions, but I guess not.
HelpUsPlay

Post by HelpUsPlay »

Perhaps this is why:

tcsh is the default shell in OS X Jaguar (10.2)
Panther (10.3) and Tiger (10.4) default to bash - many commands do work in either shell
HelpUsPlay

Post by HelpUsPlay »

E,

did someone help you? I received your message through notification but notice it is gone now.
E

Post by E »

yes, thanks