Big problem with Codename ICEMAN

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BobbinT

Big problem with Codename ICEMAN

Post by BobbinT »

Hi,

Short intro: I'm a Sierra&Lucas fan for a long time and have been following this emulator for sometime. I couldn't be ever happier when latest version finally support SCI engine. And so far I have replayed and finished 3 Sierra games. Kudos for the job WELL DONE! :D

Right now I'm playing ICEMAN, the known nightmare Sierra has ever been created. Last time I played this (either on Dosbox or the old Pentium 166) I kept scratching my head in frustation, although at the end I managed to finish this freak of nature.

Still, the charm it has and the chanced ScummVM gives has entices me to replay this game again, plus I'm kinda curious to actually attempt to finish the last minigame, which was (almost) impossible to win.

And yet this emulator gives a new challenge: Doing submarine sessions without being able to save midgame. Why? because every time I did that and restore, it crashes and produces error:

"GfxPorts::kernelSetActive was requested to set invalid port id 3!"

It has given me this error starting around the second submarine session. And I can forget that savegame because it will crashes everytime I load that save file.
Imagine what I've been through with the first sinking mission then the iceberg navigating nightmares. :x
(luckily I can still resort to cheat engine to help me get by).

Alas... right now I'm on the last submarine session, which is: sinking enemy sub and following a friendly battleship, represented by a cross mark.
I can still get by the sinking mission using cheats, but following the cross mark are not easy.
I've tried to make a savegame after the sinking minigame, & when trying to restore: lo and behold! the same error occured. I have to play from the sinking minigame all over again.

I hope this bug can be fixed very soon, or perhaps anyone can give me a suggestion about how to get by this problem? At least when I'm playing using old computer, I can still use savegames midway.

Waiting in anticipation! :)

Btw, there's also another bug although quite minor and it's on another game (just fyi):
- Eco Quest 2: BGM getting silent on certain part (much later, I think it's around the bat caves part), but triggering dialog box produces the correct BGM.
- Police Quest 3: I think there's a fatal crash on Day 1 at freeway and that savegame gets corrupted (showing the same error when crashing). I don't really remember much since it can be easily avoided and already succeeded in finishing the game again.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

If you've encountered bugs, you should file reports on the bug tracker.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

This error has been fixed in the latest daily version, but unfortunately your corrupted save game is invalid :( I.e. you'll have to replay from an earlier point

As for the other bugs... check the bug tracker and the SCI known game bugs page. If your bugs aren't there, feel free to report them to our tracker
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

wow! that was quick! :D

I already check the bug tracker and there's no active post regarding this issue. so far...

but, do I have to use SVN to actually post bug reports? Right now I'm using the 64 bit version and it might not be compatible using regular SVN version.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The 64bit and 32bit Windows version of ScummVM should produce compatible savegames, so switching between them should be completely safe.

But you can also download daily builds of the 64 bit windows version: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/t ... st.tar.bz2
Last edited by fingolfin on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yes, you can use the 32-bit SVN version on 64-bit operating systems (I test both versions under Windows 7 64-bit)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

fingolfin wrote:The 64bit and 32bit Windows version of ScummVM should produce compatible savegames, so switching between them should be completely safe.

But you can also download daily builds of the 64 bit windows version: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/t ... st.tar.bz2
That link looks like a Win32 executable though and not a 64bit version.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

ok. I'll check that. Maybe around two days, since I'm kinda busy for these 2 days. Still, let me know if there's any new progress on it. :)

Btw, I think that link is not Win exec, but rather a compressed format on Linux OS.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

BobbinT wrote: Btw, I think that link is not Win exec, but rather a compressed format on Linux OS.
You can use 7zip and probably winrar to extract it.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

BobbinT wrote:Btw, I think that link is not Win exec, but rather a compressed format on Linux OS.
I was rather saying that it contains a Win32 executable though, for 64bit Windows it *should* be http://buildbot.scummvm.org/snapshots/t ... st.tar.bz2 As far as I can tell.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

Thx. Right now I have tried both the x64 link and win32 of the latest svn and it still crashes.

Has officially created a bug tracker, ID - 3101836.

Gonna wait for the good news! :)
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

BobbinT wrote:Thx. Right now I have tried both the x64 link and win32 of the latest svn and it still crashes.

Has officially created a bug tracker, ID - 3101836.
md5 wrote:This error has been fixed in the latest daily version, but unfortunately your corrupted save game is invalid :(
You should read a little more carefully.
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

You right. this time I can save midway and restore without problem. And right now just finished the game. Boy... that car chase was actually not that difficult, just need to know the trick and lots of saves. :lol:

Sorry that I misread earlier post. I guess I can close that report now. Thx for the help & support. :D

It's time to move on to other games. :D
BobbinT

Post by BobbinT »

Btw, I forgot to mention a small bug (though it helps if it works).

Since I'm playing with my notebook ASUS UL30VT, I cannot use the numeric +- to control the submarine speed, even after turning on/off NumLock. Tried connecting with USB keyboard and that 2 button are still not responding. I had to resort using the mouse to move the speed throttle.

guess I'm still keeping tabs here. :lol: