ScummVM 1.2.0 Unofficial android (SDL) port

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

QuestingHero

ScummVM 1.2.0 Unofficial android (SDL) port

Post by QuestingHero »

The same guy who did the Unofficial 1.1.1 port has just released his 1.2.0 update.

You can get it here for anyone who needs a fix playing SCI games on their Android phone.
clashfan

Post by clashfan »

Thx for the info. If the official port takes a long time I may try this version.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Remember that unofficial versions are not supported, that is we cannot guarantee that they work neither accept any bugreports with use of them.

Eugene
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

Even Monkey Island 3 works on my milestone (droid) no sluttering, no load times.
The Scaler seems to be much better than the one in the Ipod Touch Version. (even though the screens are almost the same size)
Its a pitty the scaler for MI3@ipod is such a poor one :/

but still alot to do i think. added games don´t stay in list after restart scummvm and at the sides the screen is flickering (because MI3 only needs the middle part of it)
Lubomyr

Post by Lubomyr »

MajinChibi wrote: but still alot to do i think. added games don´t stay in list after restart scummvm and at the sides the screen is flickering (because MI3 only needs the middle part of it)
becouse you ignore warning - before installing apk please unzip scummvm-1.2.0-data.zip to memory card
without this action you don't have scummvm dir on sd-card
and app can't save setting, because save dir not exist
same situation with flickering
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

Nope, i just tried the 1.1.1 port, no warning there.

Lets see if the 1.2. port will do better :)
(strange, i thought i was loading the 1.2. yesterday, cause i commented there oO )

EDIT:

Saving works now, but Monkey Island 3 is still flickering in the background. (is there a way to stretch the image a little bit?)

Great work :)
AshEnke

Post by AshEnke »

Is this version a little more lightweight than the other one ?
Because it took like 25MB on the internal memory, and that's a little heavy...
Phawx

Post by Phawx »

@Lubomyr

Thank you very much for porting your version of 1.2.0. It will let me play around with it while I wait for the official release.
clashfan

Post by clashfan »

AshEnke wrote:Is this version a little more lightweight than the other one ?
Because it took like 25MB on the internal memory, and that's a little heavy...
If it's that big then I can't use this version. I'm running out of space on internal memory. I guess I have to be patient and wait for official release.
Veritas21885

Post by Veritas21885 »

I don't think 25mb is that big of a deal-I thought all newer phones had a good amount of internal storage. I know mine has 8 gigs internal and 16 on a micro. Anywho 1.2 unifical works great with my sci games, but everyonce and a while the music will stutter. It's wierd becuase 1.1.1 space quest 4 worked just not so good and now that I got 1.2 it won't even add the game lol. got to figure this out I guess
AshEnke

Post by AshEnke »

My Htc Desire had 150 mb of internal memory available for applications. Most applications can be installed on SD except a few heavy ones, Scumm included. I always am looking for storage spacer to clear, so an app2sd feature would be great help for me
porga

Post by porga »

I tried with unofficial 1.2.0, but it cannot save settings. Where can we expect official version to be released, is there any way to speed it up (paying, donating)?
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

porga wrote:is there any way to speed it up (paying, donating)?
Helping with the development.
porga

Post by porga »

jvprat wrote:
Well done. So you think everyone who drives a car is mechanic too?

I ask how can community help you developers to invest few hurs and make port. And best way I can think of is money (as always is)...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

porga wrote:
jvprat wrote:
Well done. So you think everyone who drives a car is mechanic too?
No, we don't think that. Jordi just gave you a honest and accurate reply: If you want to help improve this car, then you better be a mechanic. :)

We do understand that you would love to see things improve, and believe me, so do we, but there really is no good way to hurry things up when the only people who can do them have very little time and many other far more urgent priorities :/.

porga wrote:I ask how can community help you developers to invest few hurs and make port. And best way I can think of is money (as always is)...
Really? In my world, money isn't always the best way to help things.... And this is one of these cases. Well, maybe a *lot* of money would help it. Enough to pay salaries for a full-time software developer...
As it is, though, all of us have to earn money by day jobs, and ScummVM is just a hobby. A paltry couple hundred dollars sadly is not enough to warrant quitting my job and career to work on this hobby... :).

So, for now, you sadly will either have to become a mechanic, or to find some skilled mechanics and convince them to do the work for you :). (and if you think "Money" is the answer here, usual pay I'd expect a pro to get for such stuff would be 50 Euros / hour upward. And this task might require many days of work). Note: I am not suggesting you can hire me, or anybody else here, I just want to give an impression of what kind of money we talk about. And if you wonder: One of the reasons you can't hire me for this task is that (a) I don't have the competence for it right now, and (b) I'd have to quite my current job and career for that, and I won't do that for just a few days or weeks of work, no matter how much fun they are... But others here might be looking for a job, even a short one, who knows. :)